Page 38 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142434888 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    Do you think that the release date will be leaked from an internal source somehow, or do you think that we will learn the release date by normal avenues (i.e. press conference, email notification)?
    It's going to be soon; after those flurry of "tidbits" ads yesterday. I still hope we can see it in April. I did not see the post I saw this morning by Jimmy G from gadgetsonthego.net where April 15th was indicated as a possible date. Here is a guy that has received phone calls from Paul L (PRPRPR $Dept$. $with$ $Palm$). $Of$ $course$ $his$ $posting$ $gave$ $the$ $option$ $to$ $the$ $moderator$ $to$ $remove$ $the$ $post$ $if$ $he$ $deemed$ $necessary$.
    Last edited by Gas Man; 04/07/2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: english
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    hmm...not sure if it will be leaked or not. Cause when that road map was leaked from Engadget and BoyGenius, Sprint asked them to take it down.
    we don't know if it has been leaked, and when I mentioned will it be leaked, I meant to say will it be leaked with some sort of evidence? All of these dates are rumors. I'm talkin about a high ranking officer accidently spilling the beans or a sprint store email send out saying "hey guys you're gonna start receiving your phones soon" etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    we don't know if it has been leaked, and when I mentioned will it be leaked, I meant to say will it be leaked with some sort of evidence? All of these dates are rumors. I'm talkin about a high ranking officer accidently spilling the beans or a sprint store email send out saying "hey guys you're gonna start receiving your phones soon" etc etc.
    Like someone above said, I don't know if anything outside of an official announcement from sprint/palm will be enough to make people believe leaked info. There has been so much BS posted over the past few months that it's hard to distinguish the difference. Even an email accidentally going out from Sprint/Palm probably won't do the trick because they can always send out an email saying, sorry that was a mistake, and people will still be skeptical. Most likely if they did make a mistake like that, it would be officially confirmed not long after.
    Somebody feed the goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Somebody feed the goat.
    I'll feed him 6 cookies, but will take away one cookie for every week I have to wait from now. Lets hope for an April launch
    ^ You can give me your old Centros. Those are tasty.
    Schnoid Ľ That leaves me with no cookies according to my masterful prediction. Absolutely no fair. This is why I weep at night. Haw!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Okee... So I'm a tad bored and want to perform a release date monologue using the power of deduction. This is why I am almost positive we will see the phone mid-May.

Advertising is key. Many of our market-savy forum members (aero specifically, he may be brash at times, but he seems to know his stuff), have stated that the ad campaign will launch about 6 weeks before the phones release. Well folks, that advertising blitz just started. It will be in full gear by the end of this month, with the whole "homepage takover" to start then. That will give the Pre 2 weeks of SUPER HEAVY advertising before hitting the market. This all makes sense to me on why we'll see the Pre hit mid-May.

At this point, there are still a few questions. Final beta tests are apparently still happening. There is no word on training for Sprint employees. The training aspect is my biggest question. How long does Sprint spend training employees before the launch of a device? This worries me, because there is no word yet on any of this. When is the media going to get a few phones to review? I know Palm and Sprint are extremely proud of the Pre. So wouldn't it seem logical to send some phones out to reviewers before launch? I'm sure that will be pretty close to launch though. We are also fairly certain that these phones are being stockpiled in warehouses right now awaiting a final firmware flash. The demos look rock solid IMO, so I don't think this is too much of a major factor.

Why June is a bad time, and Palm and Sprint know it: BUZZ. We know Apple's big expo is going to happen in the beginning of June. We are also fairly certain they will be announcing a hardware refresh for the iPhone. Palm/Sprint know this. They want to launch in a time frame where the buzz is at it's max. They need these phones to hit the streets in time for iPhone users/general buyers to physically see the Pre before the iPhone buzz starts. I hate to say that a launch timeframe is completely dependent on a competitor's launch... But it's true. Pre mentions and media buzz will dramatically go down when the new iPhone gets announced. So yeah, mid-May it is.

We also have the "vacation blackout" for May. Haven't seen a hard lined confirmation of this, but if true, then May it is for sure. May just makes sense to me. The only way we would see it in April would be a "whisper launch" for premier customers, etc. Training is key... The later we hear that Sprint employees are getting training, the later the phone will be. I suspect training will start mid-late this month.

So yeah, there ya go folks. May 10th - 17th. Feel free to debunk any musings the Goat may have made during his extremely long monologue. BTW, I typed all of this on my Blackberry. I deserve a pet on my Goat scruff for that.

There was some mention on the sprint users board that the stores were supposed to have an advocate for the pre picked out by last Friday. I'm not really clear what an advocate does, but there were some people confirming they heard the same thing.
    ^ That's fantastic news. I think I saw that thread too. I thought they mentioned that would probably be receiving test models by mid-April.
    I was in a sprint store a few weeks ago and the rep told me they had picked an advocate for the phone, but that he hasn't had any training scheduled for the pre yet.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Regarding leaks... Palm was *extremely* upset with details of the Palm Pro being leaked and made sure Sprint knew that this wasn't going to be tolerated with the Pre. Sprint has responded with tighter NDA's and more severe penalties (an immediate firing) for anyone caught leaking information.

Also, NDA's have just been recently signed by those who are more involved with the roll-out, so hopefully we won't have to wait much longer than another 4-6 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    $250 would be smart. You put it lower and you canabalize the Pro a bit, while also essentially giving the subliminal message that you're a "cheap" smart phone and thus a cheap product.
    Not at all. The Pro is in a different category, it is for the power user on enterprise or needing WM applications. Significant enterprise update will occur for WebOS in year or so, not much earlier.

You are making the mistake of thinking that Palm will set the final price. they have nothing to do with it. But your focus on Palm makes you think that the price is about Palms devices.

When you take into account the actual and only price setter, Sprint, you get a different picture. Sprint is not in competition with Apple, it is in competition with Verizon and ATT. Sprint needs to sell higher pried plans. that is what they see in the Pre.

The likely price range for Pre will be $150 to $200
    I
    Saying 199 is easy and sprint can do that. But palm can tell sprint how much it wants per unit and has power in that regard to affect it.

Sprint's goal is to sell phones to sell its plans...as you say. Palm's goal is to have as much margin as possible. These two conflict. They both know demand will be very high initially while supply could be limited..which could mean a high price for 6 months. So the question really is..how much is sprint willing to subsidize and how much does palm want for an unsub Pre?
    I agree that the pre-apple pre announcement is vital to Palm & Sprint's short term success. A huge advantage for Palm/Sprint to release the Pre to the public hands before the Apple announcement would be the free publicity ride. The Palm Pre / Web OS will be sailing along the flood of reports on the day of the iPhone announcements. Seeing that the Pre is the major competitor to the iPhone, I doubt it would be neglected. I don't expect Apple to add any additional major features to 3.0, and so far I think many consumers will agree that the WebOS outshines the rest. With the 3 million + original adopters of the iPhone contract expiring, they may not be willing to use 3.0 for until however long it takes for new iPhone hardware to ship.. they may just jump over to Palm. There is huge opportunity here for Palm & Sprint to regain some of market share.. and their survival will depend on it.

I am also going to speculate that Palm has something more up their sleeves that they've kept secret which will probably address another one of Pre / Web OS shortcomings. Perhaps a few more accessories and a Palm web service to build a Palm ecosystem. I think they will continue to take risks that are untraditional to cellphones but makes practicable sense like induced charging. If the accessory is powered... I also suspect that they embrace touchstone charging to show how their accessory ecosystem also synergize together.

The issues I see them addressing by themselves and not leave for a 3rd party to seal up are huge one on these forums: expandable storage & backup system w/ solutions via bluetooth storage or cloud. I've always thought Web OS could mean ability in pulling data off a device and onto the web. So I'm expecting we may see something like a WebOS server on the device that can be accessed anywhere through a browser on another connected device. Then you have the ability of accessing phone databases / files and performing cellphone functions within the web browser if your away from your phone. This is certainly not new to mobile devices as seen on some nokia & WM motion apps mdesktop.. but certainly hasn't been popularized.

I think they might exclude extended battery options initially to eliminate the perception that potential buyers will need them. However.. I do have faith that Palm won't let this out if real world battery usage is not practicable. Would it be technologically possible if Palm created a battery pack with a magnet that could align to the induced charging sensors of the Pre for a battery life extender ? If not.. perhaps we'll see a similar idea implemented for a case.
    Last edited by truffles; 04/08/2009 at 05:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sprint's goal is to sell phones to sell its plans...as you say. Palm's goal is to have as much margin as possible. These two conflict.
    They don't conflict. Sprint discounts phones as much as $500. They have had $600 list price phones selling for $99.

Sprint's decision on how much to discount the phone isn't palms business, palm isn't part of the decision.

Palm probably has the first one or two million going to sprint for pretty cheap terms anyway.

iPhones are commonly available in 8gb fro $150, as low as $100 last month. Press pressure is only going to grow.

I doubt they are looking at anything over $199 for Pre as final discounted price. They can list price it as high as $500 for all anyone cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Sprint still sends out paper mailers?
    Yes they do, every time I switch between my 755p and 800w I get a flier informing me about my "new Phone"
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    how much was the 755 and 800 when they came out onto Sprint?
    $300 and $250 before rebates if my memory is correct. The are now both $99 which is still over priced imho.
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    ^ You can give me your old Centros. Those are tasty.
    I'd feed you a 800w but it would just taste like rejection
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Sprint has issued a vacation blackout for all employee for the month of May due to Pre's release... I'm lending towards 5/22
    Can any other Sprint employees confirm this
    FYI this is coming from the DM in Chicago land area.
    First time posting, been lurking for the past few months anxiously waiting the release date. Figured I would provide you with some knowledge that I know.

1. I asked a freind who is a Store Manager about the vacation blackout in May. They said they were not aware of it.

2. They asked why, so I told them about this post. The reply was, "I know it is going to be big, the store is being remodeled specifically for the PRE release. Expected release date is June/July by Store Manager's knowledge.

If Sprint/Palm is sticking with the first half of the year theory, then June will be the month. This only speculation, it doesn't seem like even Sprint employees have a solid basis to make a guess.