Page 37 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738394041424787 ... LastLast
    I don't remember... but we will know at least a couple of days before the day it actually hits shelves, right? I want to take the day off to get in early to get it and play with it.
    Just spoke with my local Sprint store here in Philadelphia. They claim that the Pre is scheduled for late May or early June.

Then they handed me a grain of salt.
    Well if its $300 there shooting themselves in the foot in my opinion. I will wait 6 months until it drops in price like most phones. Not that I dont think its worth it ( it seems to be worth every penny) but this is a bad economy and I can not justify that kind of price for a phone. $249 would be borderline for me and realisticly $199. You got to rememeber the tax, apps will bring this think up in price. Gotta get the Emulator , a case etc . Before you know it you spent $500. Personally think a $199 price will make this fly off of the shelf. But not sure if Palm/Sprint can go that low and make a profit.

I cant see the 15th as its a week from now. The sprint stores need to get there demos in, training etc. I was at my local store Saturday and they knew nothing. I think were very close. Weeks but I dont think were 7 days away.
    I have no clue what thread I was following which ended up merged with this one, so sorry if I didn't/don't respond to a question or comment directed at me. I'm just gonna unsubscribe to save myself some confusion.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Why does 300 bother you? If its because of the iphone's price, the monthly plans still make the Pre a bargain in comparison. Storm's 199 price? You'll pay even more monthly compared to Sprint's plans.

In the end, the Pre is much cheaper than those two at 300 dollars. But sure, let's be simple minded and ignore the huge differences in the cost of monthly plans.
    Long term costs are not the issue.

If The Pre is priced higher then the comparable iPhone model it will sell poorly. That is just the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I have no clue what thread I was following which ended up merged with this one, so sorry if I didn't/don't respond to a question or comment directed at me. I'm just gonna unsubscribe to save myself some confusion.
    Sorry,

I should of waited until the thread finished it's course.
    Just call me Berd.
    I agree , the Iphone is what $199 and the G1 Phone is $179 ( with 2 year contract) , most BB phones are around that price. The palm diehards will buy it whether its $199 or $399 but there will be alot of resistance in the market place. if the price point is over $200. $250 is my break point.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Long term costs are not the issue.

If The Pre is priced higher then the comparable iPhone model it will sell poorly. That is just the way it is.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 04/07/2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think $250 is a realistic point.

I think most people are wanting $199 because that's pretty cheap in regards to top end smart phones. Palm likely wants $299 because that's putting it on par with the starting price of the phone it thinks is closest to the Pre in terms of worth.

$250 would be smart. You put it lower and you canabalize the Pro a bit, while also essentially giving the subliminal message that you're a "cheap" smart phone and thus a cheap product. Go too much higher however, and you start possibly depressing turn out of people coming out to buy it because its such a high price of entry.

Personally, i'd love $199. Hell, I'd love $150. I think I'd still do it at $300 but it'd give me pause. $250 would be the place I'd think they were being acceptable in pricing. $250, with it dropping to $200 after the first 6 months.
    So if the Pre is not released in 8 days can we put the $300 price tag rumor to bed too?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    It needs to be realized that the lower the phone is priced the more Palm and/or Sprint subsidizes it's cost.

Do you folks really think Palm/Sprint are in the financial position to subsidize as heavily, or more heavily, as Apple/AT&T?

It's not what you think they have to do to compete, it's about what they CAN do, realistically, to compete. We all know the Pre is Palm's hail mary, but should it be Sprints too?
    Typically, price is set at what customers are willing to pay and what your competitors are setting their price at. What the seller can or cannot afford to charge usually has little to do with price. Especially in such a competitive market. So, it really doesn't really matter what Palm or Sprint can afford to subsidize.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Why does 300 bother you? If its because of the iphone's price, the monthly plans still make the Pre a bargain in comparison. Storm's 199 price? You'll pay even more monthly compared to Sprint's plans.

In the end, the Pre is much cheaper than those two at 300 dollars. But sure, let's be simple minded and ignore the huge differences in the cost of monthly plans.
    Perhaps, but for me, I do not pay my monthly bill, but I do have to pay for the phone.

Other people see a high initial price tag and will not buy it, no matter what the total cost savings spread out over the year are.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Typically, price is set at what customers are willing to pay and what your competitors are setting their price at. What the seller can or cannot afford to charge usually has little to do with price. Especially in such a competitive market. So, it really doesn't really matter what Palm or Sprint can afford to subsidize.
    That doesn't account for nearly every smartphone Sprint has sold since the iPhone has been out costing more (often a lot more) than the iphone.

Unless you are going to argue that Sprint has not seen any of it's smartphones as competitors to the iphone until now.
    Okee... So I'm a tad bored and want to perform a release date monologue using the power of deduction. This is why I am almost positive we will see the phone mid-May.

Advertising is key. Many of our market-savy forum members (aero specifically, he may be brash at times, but he seems to know his stuff), have stated that the ad campaign will launch about 6 weeks before the phones release. Well folks, that advertising blitz just started. It will be in full gear by the end of this month, with the whole "homepage takover" to start then. That will give the Pre 2 weeks of SUPER HEAVY advertising before hitting the market. This all makes sense to me on why we'll see the Pre hit mid-May.

At this point, there are still a few questions. Final beta tests are apparently still happening. There is no word on training for Sprint employees. The training aspect is my biggest question. How long does Sprint spend training employees before the launch of a device? This worries me, because there is no word yet on any of this. When is the media going to get a few phones to review? I know Palm and Sprint are extremely proud of the Pre. So wouldn't it seem logical to send some phones out to reviewers before launch? I'm sure that will be pretty close to launch though. We are also fairly certain that these phones are being stockpiled in warehouses right now awaiting a final firmware flash. The demos look rock solid IMO, so I don't think this is too much of a major factor.

Why June is a bad time, and Palm and Sprint know it: BUZZ. We know Apple's big expo is going to happen in the beginning of June. We are also fairly certain they will be announcing a hardware refresh for the iPhone. Palm/Sprint know this. They want to launch in a time frame where the buzz is at it's max. They need these phones to hit the streets in time for iPhone users/general buyers to physically see the Pre before the iPhone buzz starts. I hate to say that a launch timeframe is completely dependent on a competitor's launch... But it's true. Pre mentions and media buzz will dramatically go down when the new iPhone gets announced. So yeah, mid-May it is.

We also have the "vacation blackout" for May. Haven't seen a hard lined confirmation of this, but if true, then May it is for sure. May just makes sense to me. The only way we would see it in April would be a "whisper launch" for premier customers, etc. Training is key... The later we hear that Sprint employees are getting training, the later the phone will be. I suspect training will start mid-late this month.

So yeah, there ya go folks. May 10th - 17th. Feel free to debunk any musings the Goat may have made during his extremely long monologue. BTW, I typed all of this on my Blackberry. I deserve a pet on my Goat scruff for that.
    Last edited by PedroTheGoat; 04/07/2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelling is fixed'ed
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post

So yeah, there ya go folks. May 10th - 17th. Feel free to debunk any musings the Goat may have made during his extremely long monolouge. BTW, I typed all of this on my Blackberry. I deserve a pet on my Goat scruff for that.
    That's borderline insanity, typing all of that.

Survivor season finale it is then. Jeff Probst will probably be talking on his Sunday as he walks into the room for the reunion and the $1million dollar winner.

but you did spell monolouge wrong; monologue, very close
    Darnit! I can't edit from my Blackberry either. I'll correct it when I get to a computer. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Do you think that the release date will be leaked from an internal source somehow, or do you think that we will learn the release date by normal avenues (i.e. press conference, email notification)?
    I think we will find out by Sprint or Palm. They have kept things hidden very well so far...
    Yeah. I'm starting to think a leak is not going to happen. If it does, it will probably get thrown to the wind like so many other speculations.

E mail seems likely.
    Of course it will be leaked. Possibly already has.

However, nobody will believe it or care until it's officially announced.