Page 25 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575 ... LastLast
    To answer the titular question, it is a much sought after device a couple of months from release, not Duke Nukem Forever.

Palm and Sprint set a launch window, and are well within it.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I hope that you're right. And not just business as usual hyperbole. It's hard to tell the difference between real target versus a spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    IPerhaps part of the delay...
    What delay? There hasn't been a delay on the Pre until Palm/Sprint miss June 30th. Like it or not (I don't, but it is what it is), Palm has never promised anything earlier. So there has not been a delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    I'm very concerned that the Pre might not make it to the release point. As we all know the financial problems plaguing Palm. People are more conservative in spending this year.To get the Pre released wide spread costs a lot of $. And to live on a thread in this competitive PDA smart phone market. Perhaps part of the delay might be due to a new investor group or capitol buildup search. How many of you were thinking the same thing. I hope my concerns are unfounded.
    They are not and you see a lot of it voiced in the press.

Such launch is going to cost an unprecedented amount of money for Palm.

It looks extremely tight. they need to be able to support an new and untested OS adn that is expensive
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    What delay? There hasn't been a delay on the Pre until Palm/Sprint miss June 30th. Like it or not (I don't, but it is what it is), Palm has never promised anything earlier. So there has not been a delay.
    I think the OP was referring to this: Commercial Times: Palm "smartphones" delayed to end of year (updated with Palm's response)
    Palm is essentially a start-up at this point. With the exception of the Pro, everything prior is dead and buried. They know there's no significant money left in their legacy stuff, they know they can't run a company off it if they tried, and they're not trying. They're putting all their effort into the shiny new stuff and living off investor capital until it arrives. The investor money isn't unlimited, but they're so close to their moment of truth that cutting them off now or shortchanging the launch would be insanity, killing their investment before it even had a chance. Sometimes you have to cut your losses, but not when you're right on the launch's doorstep. So this is why I am never phased by the bad financial news coming out of Palm. Once the Pre is launched it's sink or swim time, so if it sells poorly or can't live up to the hype or for whatever reason isn't as successful as it needs to be, then you can worry about Palm's existence. But I have no doubt the Pre will be released.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I know this is off the topic, but CNBC's Fast Money mentioned the Pre as the potential iphone killer. They gave it a lot of props. Bringing up the CES buzz and the smart phone convention in Barcelona buzz. Stating that their stock went from 1 point to 8.6 points. This show is watched by many business pros.
    Last edited by The Duck; 03/23/2009 at 05:42 PM.
    OT:

I just did some checking, and we have a large variety of farm animals here at TC.

Goats, Ducks, Pigs, Horses, Cows, and Donkeys, to name just a few.
    Just call me Berd.
    Gonna change my name to THE PIGEON .
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    To get back on topic, even if the Pre is released, money doesn't start pouring in for awhile.I'm betting that they're shopping right now.Otherwise, who knows?
    Quack
    Hey Palm Pre addicts, i was just on the phone earlier today with sprint. I was gettign a replacement for my HTC Touch just until the Palm Pre came out and I asked is there a release date yet. The sales caller replied that not that he knows of, but that he has already been called by people to activate their Palm Pre's. Could this be a sign of a close by release?
    Maybe he meant Pro's. There would be a bit more stirring if that was the case.

Sorry to be a doubter. I don't like it when people immediately dismiss info. But this one is a stretch. I have heard this week is the final testing week. Maybe testers have to activate their phones?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Well it could one of thos testers from Twitter...
    I just bought my friend a new phone and signed her up on Sprint (they give $100 referral until March 31), so I definitely have the new phone bug seeing how excited and happy she is with her new phone (LG Lotus, she had some ancient Nokia on MetroPCS before).

It can't come soon enough for me!
    <<merged into the Black Hole>>

Black Hole:
    a massive object whose gravitational field is so intense that it prevents any form of matter or radiation (or speculation or rumor dates) from escaping.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I think the Pre will bring down civilisation as we know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre94 View Post
    Hey Palm Pre addicts, i was just on the phone earlier today with sprint. I was gettign a replacement for my HTC Touch just until the Palm Pre came out and I asked is there a release date yet. The sales caller replied that not that he knows of, but that he has already been called by people to activate their Palm Pre's. Could this be a sign of a close by release?
    nope. confused for pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    <<merged into the Black Hole>>

Black Hole:
    a massive object whose gravitational field is so intense that it prevents any form of matter or radiation (or speculation or rumor dates) from escaping.
    LOL!
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    LOL!

Saw a half page picture of the Palm Pre when I got my latest issue yesterday

gave a short description of the Pre, nothing new, said it would be out the first half of 09
    Palm Stock is up today so far by 14%. I was looking for some interesting news some place as to why, but didn't really find anything. Just interesting that Palm was up, even earlier in the day when the rest of the market was down.