Page 24 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474 ... LastLast
    Shipments!?! *jumps up and down on the couch*

We need to gather our money together for the waiting for the beautiful Pre.
    Ergh... There is that nasty side note though...

"Shipments will start in March. At the earliest."
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    ^ Major blogs (including PreCentral, sorry) got that factory announcement wrong.

The factory expected shipments to start in March, not production.

Citation: FPCB makers upbeat about demand from smartphone market
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-m...ed-cmcsfoxconn

DigiTimes also reports that "shipments [are] expected to begin in March at the earliest." Supply chains being what they are, it's highly unlikely that we'll see the Pre before April, then, but certainly we should within Palm's oft-repeated 1st half of 2009 timeframe.
    Never said production.
    so that's shipments from Taiwan to the states. Then it still has to be received, checked and then shipped to local warehouses then shipped to stores. The article is dated the 17th which would have you assume they haven't started shipping yet so I think by the time they actually get into stores and ready to sell you're looking at May easy.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    So will they need to flash a final OS build on the Pre before it hits shelves? Or will they just send out a base OS and allow the phone to update OTA.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    All carrier have local facilities (at the warehouses etc.) to update phone software enmasse if they require so before being put on the store shelves. And I don't think PalmOS major release updates will be OTA, they will probably be using an RUU style flasher, used for WinMo and Android G1.

@Dieter: My bad, I misread ur post. But Gizmodo definitely got it wrong.
    Last edited by haydur; 03/19/2009 at 08:13 PM.
    All carrier have local facilities (at the warehouses etc.) to update phone software enmasse if they require so before being put on the store shelves. And I don't think PalmOS major release updates will be OTA, they will probably be using an RUU style flasher, used for WinMo and Android G1.

@Dieter: My bad, I misread ur post. But Gizmodo definitely oid Ghad it wrong.
    No worries, I actually had the same thought you did -- a lot of sites got it wrong. I wouldn't say I got it *right* per se, just that I left the ambiguous nature of "shipping" in there ambiguously. Is it the part supplier shipping? Is it the ODM shipping? It's unclear.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    No worries, I actually had the same thought you did -- a lot of sites got it wrong. I wouldn't say I got it *right* per se, just that I left the ambiguous nature of "shipping" in there ambiguously. Is it the part supplier shipping? Is it the ODM shipping? It's unclear.
    The part suppliers are also in ROC, so I don't know if they will be "shipping" things to each other (and I know we use that term here a lot) and they literally mean shipping it to the US.

But yeah, no one really knows. Good thing is, with all the SERO and iPhone comparison talk, I've been able to get my mind off the whole availability thing.

But yeah, no one really knows. Good thing is, with all the SERO and iPhone comparison talk, I've been able to get my mind off the whole availability thing.
    I hear ya.

If they really do end up screwing SERO customers, there will be an abundance of Pre Phones. There will be cricket sounds in stores, and they might even need to do a 2 for 1 for those on the everything plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I hear ya.

If they really do end up screwing SERO customers, there will be an abundance of Pre Phones. There will be cricket sounds in stores, and they might even need to do a 2 for 1 for those on the everything plans.
    HA! isn't that wishful thinking
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ Not that there is any more (ANY) news or information from Sprint regarding the Pre and SERO pair up, I did notice the last line in the disclaimer yesterday which I missed previously:

Quote Originally Posted by Sprint.com/pre
    Pricing, offer terms, fees and features may vary for existing customers not eligible for upgrade.
    Granted this is probably more towards people who don't qualify for upgrade discounts, this does shed some new light on Sprint's possible flexibility with the Pre, specially when compared to their stance on the Instinct.
    I'm not Christian, but just thought of the date April 12th...the significance? It's "Palm Sunday". hmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I'm not Christian, but just thought of the date April 12th...the significance? It's "Palm Sunday". hmmm.
    April 5 is Palm Sunday, April 12 is Easter.
    It seems to me like sometime in April this baby will come out. I can't remember who responded to the last leaked newsletter but it he/she said why would they say first half of 2009 if they weren't trying to make it in the first quarter. I myself feel they're trying to have enough supply for the demand out there. They have to be done with testing, etc. I seem to think they're just waiting for the shipment of all the phones before they can truly give us a set release date, just my opinion though no offense to anyone. April sounds really good to me. I've been up for a new phone since Feb. 1st. This sucks to wait this long! I hope they let us know at the CTIA...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    In the 'for what its worth department', I called Sprint customer service to see about getting a replacement for my wife's dead Centro. I have a lot of phones on my accounts,good customer blah blah blah He said he would send a replacement. He then asked if wanted to upgrade any phones or service. I said I would keep my 700P until the Pre was released. He said Oh yeh that will be in June. He then made a half hearted effort to sell a PRO. I said I would wait for the Pre. He said that's what he would do
    Checking out Twitter today and found this. I checked this guy's Twitter profile, he seems to have some creds... As much as you can obtain on Twitter anyways.

Posted by: LogicommInc

"@dberube The Palm Pre should be interesting...a bunch of us are getting models to do a final test this week...I'm psyched!"

Twitter / LogicommInc
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Checking out Twitter today and found this. I checked this guy's Twitter profile, he seems to have some creds... As much as you can obtain on Twitter anyways.

Posted by: LogicommInc

"@dberube The Palm Pre should be interesting...a bunch of us are getting models to do a final test this week...I'm psyched!"

Twitter / LogicommInc
    Sweet. I really hope this phone releases soon. I'm getting tired of feeling left in the dark.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I'm very concerned that the Pre might not make it to the release point. As we all know the financial problems plaguing Palm. People are more conservative in spending this year.To get the Pre released wide spread costs a lot of $. And to live on a thread in this competitive PDA smart phone market. Perhaps part of the delay might be due to a new investor group or capitol buildup search. How many of you were thinking the same thing. I hope my concerns are unfounded.
    Palm has enough money to give the Pre a good launch and ride out the rest of the year without any additional income.

Beyond that, they need the Pre to be a success or someone will buy them. (IMHO)
    Yes. The delay wasn't related to the Pre.
    Palm has reiterated that the Pre is scheduled to be released in the first half of 2009.