Page 21 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    How does it match the Palm Pre features if:

1. It can't do MMS still (as per that article)
    2. No one knows for sure yet what the complete feature list of the Pre is

They are making a big whoop out of a function that tons of other smart phones had for ages, and that can be had on the iPhone already if you are brave enough and defy the dark lord of the almighty fruit company and jail break your precious AOL phone.

Oh....and something tells me that, unlike the Palm Pre, 3.0 still can't remove the battery.
    Doesn't look like it will run background apps either - i.e. no multitasking.

Basically 3.0 looks to be a big bug fix.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    How does it match the Palm Pre features if:

1. It can't do MMS still (as per that article)
    2. No one knows for sure yet what the complete feature list of the Pre is

They are making a big whoop out of a function that tons of other smart phones had for ages, and that can be had on the iPhone already if you are brave enough and defy the dark lord of the almighty fruit company and jail break your precious AOL phone.

Oh....and something tells me that, unlike the Palm Pre, 3.0 still can't remove the battery.
    Its about timing, average iPhone user is not as geeky as all of us at this f(Ph)orum :-).
    My post was aimed at the timing and marketing aspect of Pre launch.
    Pre is the only show in the town of media world.

Come May or June , there will be more phones and people might not get excited about Pre.

Honestly I have not seen any of the iPhone owners and smart phone owners I know of talking about Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Honestly I have not seen any of the iPhone owners and smart phone owners I know of talking about Pre.
    True. There are 6-7 former Treo users in my company that moved on to Blackberries a couple of years ago. They know nothing about the upcoming Pre release - they know all about the pending iPhone software update and wonder about possible new iPhone models sometime this summer. The Pre buzz machine just isn't working.
    I mentioned it before in another thread and agree. I know absolultey no one who has a clue what a pre is. Some even know what a google android phone is and still dont know what a pre is.( thats friends, family and coworkers) . I try to tell them about it and they dont care. 3 iphone users i know said they would never switch . But in the end I dont care about what others think , I cant wait to try it myself. I already know I dont like the iphone , blackberries or WM devices. I might love the pre . We shall see.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Kupe , yes
    on top of that , when I tried to get them excited , they thought its another wanna be iphone killer. They felt like "whatever we will see" .

Pre needs a mainstream media hype.
    Currently the hype is limited to ex PALmers , geeks, SPRINT customers waiting on the phone and of course the tech media.

You do see Jimmy Falons of the world talk about it once a while.
    Many iphone users/mac lovers won't give two craps about the Pre. However, if the Pre were exactly the same, but made by Apple, you'd never hear the end of how cool it is. That's the beauty of Apple users.

I suggest when you get the Pre, to show them all the stuff it can do that the iphone can't, and then you'll get them sore.
    I know there have been plenty of "a Sprint rep told me..." postings, none of which seem all that believable, but I thought I would share one more:

I did not call Sprint, but this afternoon I received one of those calls from them with the "We just want to know how satisfied you are and whether you have any questions" spiels. It turns out I did have a couple of questions about why my plan was described differently on my bill than on their web site, and the rep answered them.

At the end of the call, I mentioned that I was looking at future phones to be available, and he brought up the Pre. He said it looked really nice. I said I had heard lots of rumors about when it would be available, what it would cost, and what impact if any it would have on plans.

I thought his reply was interesting: he said that everyone is playing that very close and that even the Sprint employees haven't heard anything official at all. He said they had heard rumors of a release date in late April or early May, but they understood that those were just rumors and not the real word. He said he was sure that as release approached there would be ads and mailings and such to make sure the word was out.

I appreciated his honesty and that he didn't try to make up stuff to string me along.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    You guys all get reps that know something, whenever I am on the horn with them about something else, or if I am bored and do a chat session, I always get people that are clueless.
    Ok...so I decided to go a different route and this is my "AT&T sales rep told me" post. I figured I'll post the "predictions and speculations" based on an AT&T sales person's perspective.

So I called AT&T saying that I was frustrated about waiting for the Pre and was interested in the iPhone especially with the upcoming firmware update. This was flat out BS by the way since I was just trying to see what he would say about the Pre...so here's his "prediction and speculation" about the Pre:

"Yeah the Palm Pre is all just hype and by the time they release it, it's gonna have bugs and not even enough apps. They keep saying first half 09 because they probably have so many issues with it on Sprint. Plus the next firmware for iPhone's probably gonna have all the stuff that Pre claims to do anyways...so I think it's a good move for you to switch over"

Me: "ok thanks for the info! I'll definitely look into switching after doing a bit more research" (NOT)

Rep: "yeah you bet"
    Check on over at BGR where someone posted a leaked slideshow of all release phones from Spring ending 3Q '09. Sure enough, the Pre is on track for 2Q which doesn't really tell us anything new. Thats assuming there won't be any delays which is never a gaurantee with phones. So it looks like 1 - 3 months left to go.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    You guys all get reps that know something, whenever I am on the horn with them about something else, or if I am bored and do a chat session, I always get people that are clueless.
    well, :-) LOL, LOL,
    I remember my conversation with a customer service manager who didn't know that a GPS exists on the 800W.

She was on her 650 , and barked back to me when I said my GPS wasn't working. She said " I have a PALM Treo for the last four years , Please don't explain the features to me, they don't have GPS in them". :-)

Yes , most of the time you will get to talk to the dumb guys who didn't know a difference between a Pro and a Pre (what's up with that name :-) )
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Check on over at BGR where someone posted a leaked slideshow of all release phones from Spring ending 3Q '09. Sure enough, the Pre is on track for 2Q which doesn't really tell us anything new. Thats assuming there won't be any delays which is never a gaurantee with phones. So it looks like 1 - 3 months left to go.
    hurray, BGR , get more info please. Someone is getting the details out ....!!!!
    They should have left it called the P100
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    It looks like its shows 256meg of Ram and video 30FPS but TBDTBDTBD.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    It looks like its shows 256meg of Ram and video 30FPS but TBDTBDTBD.
    Does anyone able to ready what OS the PALM Monk has ?
    Is it another WinMo or WebOS
    Wm 6.1
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Wm 6.1
    thanks , my eyes couldn't read it.
    Why would they do that ??? They should go all out WebOS after the Pre launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    thanks , my eyes couldn't read it.
    Why would they do that ??? They should go all out WebOS after the Pre launch.
    The Palm Monk is the Treo Pro, same specs listed for Q2.
    There's chatter in another forum that some stores and retailers have demos of the Pre, not Pro. The demos aren't activated yet but word is some stores have begun training on the Pre.

IF stores are training reps on the Pre, it's not far off at all. It'd be a waste of time to train end users on a product that won't be released in months. We're talking weeks here, if some Sprint retail employees have been training on it.