Page 20 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Announced in January, came out in June.
    Actually, I was wondering the amount of time between when they officially announced the release date and the date itself? A week, a month?
    Oh...no clue..forgot already. I did watch the whole thing unfold on G4 though.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Oh...no clue..forgot already. I did watch the whole thing unfold on G4 though.
    This has been the only time I have actually followed the progress of a phone, so history of past phones and their timelines isn't really my strong suite.

I remember hearing things about iphones, razrs and G1s but never really paid too much attention to it. I was just starting to get interested in smartphones and just entered the market for one when I saw something on Engadget about the Pre. Then I was hooked. Been following it ever since.
    The iPhone release date was announced 25 days before the release.
    I still don't think Palm should take after iphone. Apple has that kind of cult following that very few companies have. I personally don't like apple products, and I don't like their weird closed attitude with releasing information and closed products. I've never had that weird dry humping attitude towards any name brand really. I like Palm phones, but really if someone comes out with something I like better, then no offense Palm, but I'm going with their product. I'm glad to see the Palm Pre has most of what I've been waiting for, but this Apple-like way of doing things just doesn't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytexan View Post
    The iPhone release date was announced 25 days before the release.
    that sounds about right. they don't normally announce it that far in advance, especially more than a month. Look at the Blackberry Bold, the 1st 3G Blackberry for ATT and after much delays, it was announced about 2 weeks before release. So don't be hoping that Sprint will announce more than a month before release. My guess is they'll probably make an announcement in the month of May. I'll be happy if it comes out in June, not delayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I still don't think Palm should take after iphone. Apple has that kind of cult following that very few companies have. I personally don't like apple products, and I don't like their weird closed attitude with releasing information and closed products. I've never had that weird dry humping attitude towards any name brand really. I like Palm phones, but really if someone comes out with something I like better, then no offense Palm, but I'm going with their product. I'm glad to see the Palm Pre has most of what I've been waiting for, but this Apple-like way of doing things just doesn't work for me.
    Apple people scare me.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Apple people scare me.
    I love many of the Apple products but some of those users scare me too.

Many of them are so threatened by competition. You would think they were Steve Jobs himself.
    I personally am liking a 6/28 release date. iPhone was released on 6/29/07 and that way McNamee will be happy "stealing" all those iPhone subscribers away..........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    firefinder, i highly doubt they would wait that long. Doesnt make sense to try and steal Iphone customers when Iphone will most likely be bringing out a new phone or OS about that same time.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The whole concept of stealing iPhone customers is flawed.

Why would anyone who paid $300-$600 range for the original iPhone will ready to spend another $ 200-$ 300 range on Pre ?

It will be hard for many to give up those crazy APPS that are downloaded and used on a regular basis.

Sprint is aiming at anyone mad with Verizon.
    Sprint is aiming at all the non smart phone users out there that still have a fairly useless clamshell phone, or the younger generation people that made a jump from a clamshell phone to a texting phone like the Rant or Rumor to something that can do more. There's just too many different types of people out there that use their phone for different things. Some actually use their phone as just that, a phone. Teenage textaholics might be happy with a texting phone because they don't care about anything else but texting, maybe listening to music and sending and receiving pictures. But there is a growing percentage of people that got bitten by the phone bug who want their phone to do more, I guess current Instinct and other touch screen (but not smart phone) users are the ones most likely to jump onto the Pre bandwagon. Those are the users that got a touchscreen phone because it's considered cool to have an iPhone, but who didn't want to switch to AT&T and their rediculous rates. WinMo users that aren't hardcore geeks and who are tired of a phone that slows down and crashes all the time will be prime candidates too. I think I fit into this crowd, eventhough my Touch is highly customized, I am just tired of fiddeling with it and making it look like certain other phones but having to deal with the inheritant instability problems that come with putting lipstick on a pig.

So there are definitely a lot of people out there that might be swayed to give the Pre a shot, and it's not just about converting iPhone users over. I think we owe Apple and the iPhone a big thank you, had it not been for their innovation, phone makers would still be giving us crappy phones with bad browsing experiences.

To me, the Pre is a no brainer. It has all the features I want, it's on the network with the best price and good performance in my area, and boy I sure talk a lot...don't I?
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Sprint is aiming at all the non smart phone users out there that still have a fairly useless clamshell phone, or the younger generation people that made a jump from a clamshell phone to a texting phone like the Rant or Rumor to something that can do more. There's just too many different types of people out there that use their phone for different things. Some actually use their phone as just that, a phone. Teenage textaholics might be happy with a texting phone because they don't care about anything else but texting, maybe listening to music and sending and receiving pictures. But there is a growing percentage of people that got bitten by the phone bug who want their phone to do more, I guess current Instinct and other touch screen (but not smart phone) users are the ones most likely to jump onto the Pre bandwagon. Those are the users that got a touchscreen phone because it's considered cool to have an iPhone, but who didn't want to switch to AT&T and their rediculous rates. WinMo users that aren't hardcore geeks and who are tired of a phone that slows down and crashes all the time will be prime candidates too. I think I fit into this crowd, eventhough my Touch is highly customized, I am just tired of fiddeling with it and making it look like certain other phones but having to deal with the inheritant instability problems that come with putting lipstick on a pig.

So there are definitely a lot of people out there that might be swayed to give the Pre a shot, and it's not just about converting iPhone users over. I think we owe Apple and the iPhone a big thank you, had it not been for their innovation, phone makers would still be giving us crappy phones with bad browsing experiences.

To me, the Pre is a no brainer. It has all the features I want, it's on the network with the best price and good performance in my area, and boy I sure talk a lot...don't I?
    well said ,
    WE ALL OWE a BIG THANK YOU TO APPLE FOR SHAKING THE INDUSTRY.

Having said that, here is the latest

Kevin Rose On iPhone 3.0: Cut/Paste, Features Equal Palm Pre
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I wish folks at PALM have internet :-) and are reading this

They better get it out in April.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I wish folks at PALM have internet :-) and are reading this

They better get it out in April.
    How does it match the Palm Pre features if:

1. It can't do MMS still (as per that article)
    2. No one knows for sure yet what the complete feature list of the Pre is

They are making a big whoop out of a function that tons of other smart phones had for ages, and that can be had on the iPhone already if you are brave enough and defy the dark lord of the almighty fruit company and jail break your precious AOL phone.

Oh....and something tells me that, unlike the Palm Pre, 3.0 still can't remove the battery.
    I think if Palm had it ready it would be out already. Everyday that goes by is killer for this phone . its unfortunate its not ready for release.

I agree with everything mannyz28 said ( well said) , I also was customizing my touch pro until I got so sick of it and WM limitations.

Im just not sure the Pre is everything I want. Think it can be but maybe not out of the box. I thought the 800W was everything I want and it wasnt and went back to the Centro. I then thought the HTC Touch Pro was everything I wanted and it definetly wasnt. Went back to the Centro again.

I probalyl will try the Pre but keep my Centro again just incase. Or I may just wait a few months and see what the pre has going. Out of the box the pre isnt better than the Centro ( FOR ME) as I use Slingbox alot, VNC alot. I have a 16GB card and have a 8GB card almost filled of stuff on there ( music , docs, movies pdf files etc) and was going to move up to a 16GB card. Snappermail is a great Email program ( lots of options like deleting emails off the server) and I dont know yet if the pre's email client will suck as much as the WM versions. Also I want to be able to backup data etc and so far with no SD card that might not be possible with the pre.
    So until they make some of these programs for the Pre, ( all talk is no slingbox etc for the forceable future) the centro might be a better option. I ofcourse want to get the lastest thing and atleast with Sprint they give you 30Days to return a phone so you can check it out.
    So depending on price I am probally going to try out the Pre. ( just sold my Pro for $350 so thats what I got to spend on the Pre)
    Obviously, it hasn't made it out of that lady's closet yet Onward to the next rumor date. The good news is we're only 3 1/2 months from the end of June.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    lol.

April 12th.

youre welcome.
    Heh.

May 17th. For sure.
    lulz.

march 15th...

fo sho