Page 18 of 115 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Apple didn't have a ton of its own stock out there that people suddenly were possibly not buying because they're waiting for the unknown release of the new product, thus creating a lul in sales.

Apple had its entire ipod and mac divisions bolstering sales for it.

Apple had its item coming out during much better economic times.

Apple came out with a finger focused touch interface when such was not close to mainstream.

Apple came out when there was no titular mogul in the smart phone department that ruled over others in a noticable way.

Its hard to truly compare the two's launch as a 1:1 thing.

That said, yes, Palm should learn from the Blackberry Storm the importance of putting out a non-buggy unit and should take the time they need to release it as such. That said, I have significant issues with their marketing throughout this entire thing given the climate that it is launching in and how different it is from the iPhone.

If they knew this was going to be 6 months to launch, which it seems they did, then they should've treated this as a long distance run...start somewhat strong, keep a good pace in the middle, and finish strong. Instead, it seems they've treated the start as if it was a 100 yard dash, leaving them with little gas for the middle section of the run. If they don't have a stellar end, which is going to likely be going head to head with the front runner of the race doing some major things, then they're going to end up finishing far behind what it seemed they would do from their initial spring out of the gate.

The device is great, the presentation was smooth, the marketing while in some ways innovated is in other ways horribly managed.
    This AND that said, the pre needs to be released soon. Otherwise it may become..... ahem.. (here comes one of generation Y's fav phrase) .....an epic fail. Oh and its gotta be a gamechanger too. (There's another one for ya).
  3.    #343  
    Okay...so it needs to be released "soon" or it will be a failure?
    Please tell us upon what date it becomes a failure...and why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If they knew this was going to be 6 months to launch, which it seems they did, then they should've treated this as a long distance run...start somewhat strong, keep a good pace in the middle, and finish strong. Instead, it seems they've treated the start as if it was a 100 yard dash, leaving them with little gas for the middle section of the run. If they don't have a stellar end, which is going to likely be going head to head with the front runner of the race doing some major things, then they're going to end up finishing far behind what it seemed they would do from their initial spring out of the gate.

The device is great, the presentation was smooth, the marketing while in some ways innovated is in other ways horribly managed.
    This is something palm doesn't need right now: iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, preview on March 17th The only thing worse then this is a new iphone!! That would really take away palm's thunder!!.....
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    This is something palm doesn't need right now: iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, preview on March 17th The only thing worse then this is a new iphone!! That would really take away palm's thunder!!.....
    It is supposedly a cheaper iPhone though, not really in the same category.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I keep checking back on here for new info about the Pre, but unfortunately it is just the same old speculation from everyone, along with the nervous exciteability of "Pedro the Goat's" posts.
    I don't get it. "Nervous Exciteability"?

Is this a good or bad thing. Does the Goat need to stand in a corner and atone for his useless posts?

You know... Goat's have feelings too... Like when I crap a tin can... It hurts... Even my feelings.

So is "nervous excieteability a good or bad thing?
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    You know... The more and more I think about it, May 10th seems to be about the most logical time to release the phone. Analysts are expecting an upswing as far as the economy goes.

It will also give ample time for iPhone owners to glance at the Pre's we are going to be rolling with before their contract expires.

June seems a bit too late, April seems a bit too early as far as where I suspect where the phone is at. Many people are thinking the phone will be released early April... But the advertising just isn't really going along with this date. From words that I hear, April will be a HUGE marketing ramp up for Sprint. What else could this be for? Give it one month of putting this phone in the faces of customers before the actual release.

The more and more I analyze Dieter's May 10th prediction... The more and more it makes sense. June seems like a launch window that the Pre may not want to be in... Early to mid-May seems almost perfect if there are no major snags along the way.

The Goat is also getting giddy feelings about May 10th... I was starting to get sad because I was becoming sure that it would come out in June... Which I think would have been a mistake.

So May 10th it is. It just seems like the most logical date.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    This is just a guy's personal blog and he is just speculating, but it sounds like an educated guess that could be true. And after yesterdays uneventful webcast, I don't see this phone coming out anytime soon...

Hot Trading Strategies For A Cold Market: Palm Pre Release Date and Price News
    stickin w/ April ...
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    You know... The more and more I think about it, May 10th seems to be about the most logical time to release the phone. Analysts are expecting an upswing as far as the economy goes.

It will also give ample time for iPhone owners to glance at the Pre's we are going to be rolling with before their contract expires.

June seems a bit too late, April seems a bit too early as far as where I suspect where the phone is at. Many people are thinking the phone will be released early April... But the advertising just isn't really going along with this date. From words that I hear, April will be a HUGE marketing ramp up for Sprint. What else could this be for? Give it one month of putting this phone in the faces of customers before the actual release.

The more and more I analyze Dieter's May 10th prediction... The more and more it makes sense. June seems like a launch window that the Pre may not want to be in... Early to mid-May seems almost perfect if there are no major snags along the way.

The Goat is also getting giddy feelings about May 10th... I was starting to get sad because I was becoming sure that it would come out in June... Which I think would have been a mistake.

So May 10th it is. It just seems like the most logical date.
    I have a gut feeling it is in May.
    Guys, the phone is ready for the most part.
    I have not seen any information related to bugs on the Pre WebOS.
    Granted its not given to for reviews of the tech journos.
    But this thing looks almost completed sans the flash support which is end of 2009 ( another end of thing)..

But I have to agree with goat, May looks the possible date.
    Both (PALM and SPRINT) can't afford to wait any longer.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    If the 3.0 software update gives:

Tethering
    Cut & Paste
    A2DP

Three features that currently the Pre has one up on the iPhone but if are added in 3.0 shrinks the "benefits" of the Pre over the iphone.
    I have a feeling we will see it in the next few weeks...
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    This is just a guy's personal blog and he is just speculating, but it sounds like an educated guess that could be true. And after yesterdays uneventful webcast, I don't see this phone coming out anytime soon...

Hot Trading Strategies For A Cold Market: Palm Pre Release Date and Price News
    A general investor, not a techie. My experience with them so far has convinced me of how infrequently they know what they're talking about, even though they write as if they do. I could go on a big rant about this, but I think I'll just leave you with his brilliant tweet instead.
    I honestly expect in the iphone update:

MMS (biggie for the dumbphone users wanting to move)
    Tethering (and for at&t to charge for it)
    A2DP (more bt headset sales for apple, but does little for most users)
    Turn by turn gps app (gps will always wow the users and this would too)

However, the Pre includes it all. The tethering will come since its fate is murky but you know its capable.

Hopefully we'll see some surprises from the palm camp outside of what we know after apple's unveiling..
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    A general investor, not a techie. My experience with them so far has convinced me of how infrequently they know what they're talking about, even though they write as if they do. I could go on a big rant about this, but I think I'll just leave you with his brilliant tweet instead.
    He seems to be basing his thinking on the recent stock jump. However, it seems to me that a better reason for the recent uptick in the stock price is the sale of some of Elevation's stock that netted Palm $80ish Million. This gives investors more confidence that they'll be able to hang in there long enough to start seeing some profit from the Pre, and be able to support a proper launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    Okay...so it needs to be released "soon" or it will be a failure?
    Please tell us upon what date it becomes a failure...and why.
    +1

It'll be a failure because certain tech nerds can't get their impatient hands on the thing, even though they'll still buy it whenever it comes out. But the quote "it needs to be released soon or it will fail" is my all time fav.

Can anyone say tantrum?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    He seems to be basing his thinking on the recent stock jump. However, it seems to me that a better reason for the recent uptick in the stock price is the sale of some of Elevation's stock that netted Palm $80ish Million. This gives investors more confidence that they'll be able to hang in there long enough to start seeing some profit from the Pre, and be able to support a proper launch.
    Actually it's been hovering around $7.50 for a good number of weeks. Then stocks got hammered across the board last week, and this week they're rallying back because of Citibank. Almost nothing to do with Palm whatsoever. Don't you love the market?

They're on a slight uptick beyond that because of an analyst upgrade. Maybe the financing factors in too, but neither of them are major. They're just at the higher end of what's become their normal range at the moment.
    I'm on with a Retentions agent now working on another issue, and she was happy to tell me that the Pre will be in stores on Sunday, March 15th.

She said the price for upgrade eligible folks will be $299.99 with a $100 MIR.

I haven't seen this in any other threads, so I thought I would throw it out.
    She is confused with the Treo Pro, which has been confirmed to be released on Sunday.
    Well, sorry for the typo in the title, supposed to be 15th. I guess it won't let me change it?