Page 13 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363113 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    This isn't a release date, but read the last line of the article. They are preparing for a hands-on. It must be close. How much time do these sites, especially as one as big as Engadget, get a hands-on before a release?

Palm selling some stock to help with Pre, pay off Bono before he breaks kneecaps
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I agree with cardfan, the guy jumped to conclusions.

On a side note, I think Apple screwed quite a few people, including a friend of mine with the original iPhone. Never mind the 200 dollar price drop after just a few weeks, what's worse is that when my friend bought his iPhone, they made him pay full price, 399, AND stuck him with a contract. He was under the impression that because they didn't subsidize the phone, he could cancel anytime. Not so, he got to pay the ETF. That is completely nonsense, especially since you were able to buy the new iPhone for just 199.

They have some messed up tactics going on at Apple, but oh well, the Apple worshippers don't seem to care one bit. It's probably people like my friend, that will jump ship and go for the Pre. Besides being the fancy new kid on the block, you also get better 3g coverage from sprint, more features (Navi, Sprint TV/Radio) for a cheaper price.
    I tried the Blackberry Bold and did not like the idea that u pay for the termination, even if they did not provide you a phone. I tried a Nokia 73 series and used a pre paid card of 20 dollars and it was gone quickly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    This isn't a release date, but read the last line of the article. They are preparing for a hands-on. It must be close. How much time do these sites, especially as one as big as Engadget, get a hands-on before a release?

Palm selling some stock to help with Pre, pay off Bono before he breaks kneecaps
    Yeah I just read that too, and I read into it just the way you did. Maybe they know something we don't know? And after all, it's the Engadget dude that's going to talk exciting stuff on Jimmy Fallon tonight! The plot thickens!

Oh I know about the flower and the stones, that's just a wallpaper that I am guessing can be changed easily. But if you compare for example the HTC Fuze on AT&T with the Touch Pro on Sprint....they are the same phone, yet the UI have a completely different color scheme to reflect their respective carriers. I am hoping that what we saw so far from the Pre was the generic version, and that Sprint will work it's black and yellow theme into the UI, it just looks cooler to me than all the pastel colored stuff I have seen so far. I am still wondering how customizable the color themes are, after all, I am used to my current WinMo phone where anything goes.
    Given that OP's source is a stock blog, the source may be trying to run people scared so that his short position earns him money. I take little credence in stock blogs predicting future events. Palm is in a Silent Period with regard to the Pre. Any trades based on launch date leaks would be considered Insider Trading and warrant SEC investigation.
    The hands-on thing was actually a joke if you read the update now. They were joking about a hands-on with the new stock.
    The "hands on" is talking about palm's stock situation after the sell. Nothing to do with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    This article particularly does not make sence since, as I posted in another thread, current iPhone users are not even the Pre's target demographic. Only 20% of current cell phone users use smartphones. That leaves 80% of cell users that have not gotten a smartphone for one reason or the other. That is the Pre's target audience.
    Are you inferring 100% of all cell phone users want a smart phone? Interesting, but unlikely true. But clearly a subset of cell phone users are interest in a smart phone. According to your figures, at least 20% of cell phone users want smartphones and have purchased one.

So, of the remaining 80% of cell phone users, what percentage actually wants to switch to a smartphone? 5%? Maybe 10% Could you justify 20%? You might want to re-think your marketing strategy for Palm - I think it's a bit over-inflated.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    This article particularly does not make sence since, as I posted in another thread, current iPhone users are not even the Pre's target demographic. Only 20% of current cell phone users use smartphones. That leaves 80% of cell users that have not gotten a smartphone for one reason or the other. That is the Pre's target audience.
    Are you saying 100% of cell phone users want smartphones? If not, what percentage of the non-smartphone cell users do you think want a smartphone?
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Seems like the author jumped to conclusions and did it more than once. McNamee simply said original iphone buyers will be using something different from that original iphone a month later. He didn't say it would be the Pre. And yes, they did have contracts. AT&T didn't activate it without one.

It's screwy logic but it really just sounded like he was getting excited and got carried away. No way would they pick June soley for this screwy reason.
    Completely agree with you.
    McNamee should be careful about what he says. I hope they are still feared for the PATENT thing.
    Pre is not going to bring iPhone customers back to SPRINT.
    Pre will attack the T Mobile and Verizon.
    Specifically Verizon will be the big looser here. Their plans are expensive. They messed up the STORM to the point regular users of BB got mad at them.
    Though Verizon has a better voice coverage , Sprint is cheap and better 3G coverage. Plus they got a killer phone.

Sprint's gain is Verizon's loss. APPLE and ATT will still milk for some more time till the new 4 inch 8 megapixel handsets gets released.

APPLE did make a strategic mistake of showing all of their cool features in one go ( the accelarometer, browser, orientation, virtual key board, and APP store).

I keep thinking what else they can come up that is not available on the market ? Finger print sensor ?
    The Pre will bring a fraction of all...iphone, bb, WM, etc to them. It'll all add up. It's estimated that close to 50% of all cellphone users will be buying smartphones in 5 years. Right now its about 18%.

That's why there's so much room for Palm. By next year, it'll be global for palm and not just Sprint & cdma. Palm may not ever get close to being market leader, but they don't need to be to be successful.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    What better date is there? It's already "branded".

I also just now realized that the other "favorite" date, April 12 is Easter, also right symbolic (if your a Christian in the western hemisphere) for a company coming back from near-dead.
    I'll go with that!!!
    Haha not something I thought of, but it'd be pretty interesting if they could pull that off.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    That would be mega sweet, a bit of a big call though. Could be seen as offensive to some. Don't think it's gonna happen.
    "So do you believe me now, maybe i wasnt that crazzzy"

??

at least admit it, some of you doubters are thinking "hmmm, maybe he was right about the release date"
    Actually i was only thinking why's this guy starting another thread? They haven't banned him yet?
    what rules have i broken?

Giving the phone to a WEBSITE guy to put on a late show?

its close
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3xacharm View Post
    what rules have i broken?

Giving the phone to a WEBSITE guy to put on a late show?

its close
    Agree with you.

No sane management lets a half baked product out of their R&D into the hands of media.
    If there are bugs with the phone the media is going to know it.

It doesn't matter what the NDA (non disclosure agreement) says , it doesn't matter that PALM's says Pre is only half cooked.

The phone is almost a finished product.

My guess is they might be testing SPRINT specific (GPS, TV ... ) applications.
    And they might want to make more for keeping in the stock.
    Manufacturing couple of millions of these will take time.
    They do not want to make a mistake in hardware ( bad batteries, flimsy door covers, bad screen ... etc).

PALM can fix software issues , but if the hardware is broken , then there is no quick fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yeah I concur that AT&T and Apple are doing a lot of sketchy things, because they think they can.

My cousin went to AT&T last summer and got two iphones (one for his wife). After a week of dropped calls, inability to make calls, and feeling like the interface etc. was totally over hyped, and actually pretty crappy, he demanded a full refund. It was like pulling teeth, but he finally got one. Then he went with T-Mobile/G1 and he's been much happier.
    After reading about Om Malik (GigaOM) giving up his beloved iPhone for a T-M Blackberry 8900 AND a VZW call plan w/a cheap phone - the replies in that blog says there are a ton of people tired of the lack of consistent ATT service. I am one. I really wanted an iPhone and tried it for 2 weeks - had no consistent 3G service in my home (home office) and when I traveled to Houston and Dallas, nothing but dropped calls or crappy EDGE quality. My mobile is my business phone, so I HAVE to have good service. Sprint and CDMA has spoiled me. As I look around the web, I think that crappy ATT service is becoming as big a deal for iPhone users as much as the lack of c&p and MMS.

And I think this will be a good thing for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

So, of the remaining 80% of cell phone users, what percentage actually wants to switch to a smartphone? 5%? Maybe 10% Could you justify 20%? You might want to re-think your marketing strategy for Palm - I think it's a bit over-inflated.

As posted above, some estimates say as many as %50 of cell users will be using smart phones in 5 years. I do not think marketing to a target demographic that is over twice the size of the current smartphone market is over inflated at all. Smart business tactics if you ask me.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)