Page 12 of 115 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast
    for once, I am in agreement with Cardfan.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to release a product for that reason.

The ONLY thing I can think of for releasing it that late would be so that apple didnt see and capitolize on Pre errors.

I have it on good info that its coming out before then anyways, so I find this article meaningless (just my opinion)
    sooo... are we thyinking the release date will be annoucned that day ??
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yeah I concur that AT&T and Apple are doing a lot of sketchy things, because they think they can.

My cousin went to AT&T last summer and got two iphones (one for his wife). After a week of dropped calls, inability to make calls, and feeling like the interface etc. was totally over hyped, and actually pretty crappy, he demanded a full refund. It was like pulling teeth, but he finally got one. Then he went with T-Mobile/G1 and he's been much happier.
    My buddy had a similar experience. We both live in SF and he traveled to Chicago to visit his girlfriend's family. I let him use my Moto Q just to prove that Sprint's EVDO is MUCH more reliable than AT&T's. He just got the iPhone 3G. So I thought it would be an interesting comparison - old Moto Q on sprint vs iPhone 3G on AT&T. He came back and was extremely MAD that

1. AT&T couldn't get reliable 3G in the MIDDLE of business area in CHICAGO and his calls were getting dropped as well as "caller can speak but can't hear the person they're calling - have to wait for the person to call them back to get 2 way connection" type of issues

2. Sprint's EVDO was EVERYWHERE. Absolutely NO dropped calls and crystal clear communication back to SF - I should know... he called my work desk and I asked "wow this is definitely NOT your iPhone" LOL

Just stating another personal experience - I'm sure it will be debated since a lot of people swear by AT&T's service.

By the way Beanis - which area did your cousin experience his problems? Just curious
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    sooo... are we thyinking the release date will be annoucned that day ??
    i hope so! but I think its going to be announced during the NCAA Tourney. (whenever that starts.. i hate basketball)
    The "first in a series" makes ya wonder if we'll hear release info.

BTW..do you all really fool with that sprint tv junk? I hate it.
    same here. No use to me. (sprint tv)
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I've used it--it's far from ideal, mostly because even on EVDO rev 0 on my 755p it's pretty hard to get the full bandwidth. So it's moderately useless. However, there is a LOT of content available, and if the network could keep up, I bet it would be pretty good. I'm looking forward to trying it with a rev a device.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    that doesn't make any sense to me...why would palm wait until the close to the next time the new iphone is due out? Wouldn't they want the pre out in consumers hands to show their friends with iphones? That way, they'd know about the product before they signed up for their new contract and new iphone... Just doesn't add up for me. If they released it in march or april, that would give the pre a few months of great exposure to show the iphone users just what the pre can do.
    +1
    This article particularly does not make sence since, as I posted in another thread, current iPhone users are not even the Pre's target demographic. Only 20% of current cell phone users use smartphones. That leaves 80% of cell users that have not gotten a smartphone for one reason or the other. That is the Pre's target audience.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I've used it--it's far from ideal, mostly because even on EVDO rev 0 on my 755p it's pretty hard to get the full bandwidth. So it's moderately useless. However, there is a LOT of content available, and if the network could keep up, I bet it would be pretty good. I'm looking forward to trying it with a rev a device.
    Yeah, I've used it as well, mostly when traveling... and occasionally for the NFL network, which I don't get with my cable service.

Only for CNN
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

I am using it while driving YES :-) while driving.
    But I don't watch it , I listen to it.
    I listen to comedycentral clips, late night show, tonight show .... etc.

I also watched few things real time on CNN

OBAMA's acceptance speech
    United Airlines plane water landing

Its not great , but very useful.
    It gives me bragging rights when I am with an iPhone user :-).
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3xacharm View Post
    i hope so! but I think its going to be announced during the NCAA Tourney. (whenever that starts.. i hate basketball)
    I hope your friend is right about April 15th.
    I am patiently waiting for this thing.

Looking back, the more and more I read , I get a feeling that they are almost done with the product. They have been working on the operating system for years.

They gave a month notice prior to that Jan 7th show .
    They demonstrated many key features without a crash.
    They even gave to hollywood folks ( whoever that actress is ).
    This Roger guy is running around with this thing on his belt.

The only issue ( I think ) is how stable it is after loading SPRINT specific applications.

The SPRINT TV, SPRINT GPS are serious applications , which have a mind of their own on WinMo devices. And I haven't seen any video showing these two features on Pre.

All I wish is a 16Gig memory as opposed to 8 Gig.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    for those of you who argued about that 30 day period between Pro and Pre, I disagree that a Pro customer (individual consumer not a company provided) will dump it for Pre. Pro is all business , and in most cases is a company paid phone. There are number of business users who are still hanging to the old treos and Motorola Qs and such. Pro for them is a god sent. With GPS , WiFi , not to mention the extra browsers you can get.

Pro and Pre are different products. PALM wanted to go alone on Pro. They might have twisted SPRINT's arm into selling Pro along with Pre.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I'm curious. Lets say, for example, the Pre would be out on March 15th. They wouldn't really need to reissue their stock, right? They would be getting the revenue from the Pre. I'm kind of thinking they reissued the stock to tide them over until the Pre is released later in June.

Any financial people out there can clear this up for me?

Edit: This kind of answered my question...

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...5_FORTUNE5.htm
    Last edited by dtokarz; 03/09/2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    for those of you who argued about that 30 day period between Pro and Pre, I disagree that a Pro customer (individual consumer not a company provided) will dump it for Pre. Pro is all business , and in most cases is a company paid phone. There are number of business users who are still hanging to the old treos and Motorola Qs and such. Pro for them is a god sent. With GPS , WiFi , not to mention the extra browsers you can get.

Pro and Pre are different products. PALM wanted to go alone on Pro. They might have twisted SPRINT's arm into selling Pro along with Pre.
    Yes - and the official Palm_Inc on Twitter confirmed what you say:

"Pre and Treo Pro are different products addressing different customer needs, and are on independent timetables."
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I hope your friend is right about April 15th.
    I am patiently waiting for this thing.

Looking back, the more and more I read , I get a feeling that they are almost done with the product. They have been working on the operating system for years.

They gave a month notice prior to that Jan 7th show .
    They demonstrated many key features without a crash.
    They even gave to hollywood folks ( whoever that actress is ).
    This Roger guy is running around with this thing on his belt.

The only issue ( I think ) is how stable it is after loading SPRINT specific applications.

The SPRINT TV, SPRINT GPS are serious applications , which have a mind of their own on WinMo devices. And I haven't seen any video showing these two features on Pre.

All I wish is a 16Gig memory as opposed to 8 Gig.
    That webinar that is coming up on the 12th, I believe, is going to show the phone working with the Sprint apps. I think I read that in the announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    That webinar that is coming up on the 12th, I believe, is going to show the phone working with the Sprint apps. I think I read that in the announcement.
    It said that they will show it running on the Sprint network....we're hoping they will show the Sprint customizations on it.

That stupid flower wallpaper doesn't do it for me, give me some Sprint yellow and black!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    It said that they will show it running on the Sprint network....we're hoping they will show the Sprint customizations on it.

That stupid flower wallpaper doesn't do it for me, give me some Sprint yellow and black!
    On that video "Meet the Pre" on the Palm website, that phone had rocks for the background. I think they were rocks. Anyway, at least its customizable.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    That doesn't make any sense to me...why would Palm wait until the close to the next time the new iPhone is due out? Wouldn't they want the Pre out in consumers hands to show their friends with iPhones? That way, they'd know about the product before they signed up for their new contract and new iPhone... Just doesn't add up for me. If they released it in March or April, that would give the Pre a few months of great exposure to show the iPhone users just what the Pre can do.

Maybe our "Pre" is not ready for Primetime; therefore current sprint customers would not post their dissatisfaction with the Phone; killing the hype about the phone like the Treo 700p debacle. (Lol hope this this is not the case) We all want that phone so bad! But I agree with others; when the phone is ready to be released; release it and let the party begin! I am tired of the Silly Season or whatever. Maybe we will have good news on the the up coming web seminar and the TV interview tonight!