1.    #1  
    So how long do you guys guesstimate it may be before the 2nd gen Pre rolls out? You know, the one that it seems a good percentage of us geeks (including myself) want to see. The one with an expansion card slot and all the other stuff we were dissapointed to hear are not part of the 1st gen Pre.

I only ask because as hard as I'm chomping at the bit right now to get my hands on the Pre, I can't help but think that Palm will just turn turn around 9-months later with a 'Se'quel to the 'Pre'quel. At which point I'd really start to salivate because the expansion slot carries extreme importance for me (I use my 755p as a total media solution - music and movies).

Having just 7 months ago bought us both new phones (Centro for her, 755p for me), I am sure to deal with a fair amount of blowback from the wife for the purchase of yet another smartphone (Pre). So if history tells us that updated versions usually hit the streets within "X" number of months following the original, then maybe I'll just cool my heels long enough to wait for it (assuming it's going to have either an expansion slot or 32gig+ internal, that is.)

Can anybody offer up a good educated guess?
    We can't even get a good estimate for the Pre release date yet, shouldn't we at least wait until we find that out before worrying about the Pre 2?

But anyway, these days the estimated life of a smartphone device for the carriers is about a year, so I don't know why this would be any different.
    You realize that Palm has to get their first Pre out the door, entice developers to flock to it, and compete in the ferocious smartphone market with Android catching on, Microsoft announcing plans and deals to become more prominent, RIM/Blackberry humming along and innovating, and juggernaut Apple still kicking ***.

And you want to know when Palm's NEXT webOS device will be! You sir, are one heck of an optimist! But good for you, I'm rooting for Palm, too.

-- Josh
    Android is pretty weak still among the mainstream and being tied to tmobile isn't helping them.

Microsoft is stuck in the business world.

So is RIM.

Apple has the beginners or people who want it very simple on their aol phone.

Palm should find something in between an iphone and wm/bb phone pretty easily and should be sprints top seller.

A year from launch should be expected but there's always the possibility of a storage bump (given the 8gb) around the holidays..
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    We can't even get a good estimate for the Pre release date yet, shouldn't we at least wait until we find that out before worrying about the Pre 2?

But anyway, these days the estimated life of a smartphone device for the carriers is about a year, so I don't know why this would be any different.

I know, I know... Just wishful thinking.

The last thing I need though, is to pop top dollar for this one (I'm already with Sprint, so no new plan discount), less than a year after having bought the 755, then turn back around in (perhaps) less than another year for the one I REALLY want (with -hopefully- expansion slot, etc.).

Such is life though. I'm pretty certain I'll go ahead and get the 1st gen though. I don't want to wait around for a full year while everyone else goes on gushng poetic about their Pre.
    I'd say, "first half of" 2010. :-P

I agree though that Palm is gonna have a tough time getting the market share they need. I just saw the expected HTC Touch Pro 2 and Diamond 2 today and its pretty crazy how much stuff they're shoving into those things. MicroSD included! ... and a 3.6 inch screen. I realize its not comparable cause its still a WM device, but WM 6.5 seems like it'll start getting a bit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I realize its not comparable cause its still a WM device, but WM 6.5 seems like it'll start getting a bit better.
    Most who have used WM seem to think that WM 6.5 is just putting lipstick on a pig, even though HTC's Touchflo3D and Samsung's TouchWiz are much better at doing so. If anything, WM7 might compete, but it might be too late by then.
    Most who have used WM seem to think that WM 6.5 is just putting lipstick on a pig, even though HTC's Touchflo3D and Samsung's TouchWiz are much better at doing so. If anything, WM7 might compete, but it might be too late by then.
    I agree, but if HTC comes out with a Touch Pro 2 with Android on it, I think that could be a huge player.
    I considered that (Touch Pro 2 w/ Android) might be a world-beater, too, but then I thought:

If Android is such a popular, game-changing OS, why is it taking so very long for even a second Android device to appear anywhere in the world and why is it taking so very long for significant OS updates to get out?

Honestly, the concept of Android is way, way, way more alluring than the actual OS as of this moment.
    i'm stunned we are discussing 2nd Gen when 1st gen is not even out the door and, despite our optimism, we really have no idea how good the palm Web OS will be in real world conditions

w/ that said, i don;t think send gen is what the OP needs to wait for .. how about just the second phone. I would expect Palm to have multiple phones running the palm OS. Those will come much quicker the a 2nd generation Pre
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I considered that (Touch Pro 2 w/ Android) might be a world-beater, too, but then I thought:

If Android is such a popular, game-changing OS, why is it taking so very long for even a second Android device to appear anywhere in the world and why is it taking so very long for significant OS updates to get out?

Honestly, the concept of Android is way, way, way more alluring than the actual OS as of this moment.
    The problem is that Android is clearly unfinished and Google wants the device manufacturers to do most of the work and customize it for themselves. Why would they do that when they can just put Windows Mobile on there? Especially when they (HTC at least) have long ago made a custom interface for WM that they'd have to do a ton of the same work over again to get things on Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    i'm stunned we are discussing 2nd Gen when 1st gen is not even out the door and, despite our optimism, we really have no idea how good the palm Web OS will be in real world conditions
    I will say one thing: Even in demo/beta form, WebOS seems waaay smoother and more developed than Windows Mobile 6.5, which also debuted officially today. I watched some hands-on video at Gizmodo of WM 6.5 on a Touch Diamond 2, and its rough, choppy scrolling and screen refreshes were just unacceptably bad. It felt like when I used to try to play Unreal Tournament on a PC not spec'd for it, and you'd get that super-choppy framerate. And being that 6.5 is merely a skin on top of 6.1, which was just a patch on 5, which ran (years and years ago) on hardware half as powerful as the Touch Diamond 2, this does NOT bode well for Microsoft.
    The problem is that Android is clearly unfinished and Google wants the device manufacturers to do most of the work and customize it for themselves. Why would they do that when they can just put Windows Mobile on there?
    The answer to this is supposed to be $$$$. Android is free whereas Windows Mobile licenses are about as pricey as they get. But even if manufacturers "did the work", why is it taking so long for even the most basic add-ons (e.g. paid apps, onscreen keyboard, etc.)? That should be coming from Google.

Especially when they (HTC at least) have long ago made a custom interface for WM that they'd have to do a ton of the same work over again to get things on Android.
    Somebody needs to do some Android skinning ASAP. That default look is inconsistent and dated.
  14.    #14  
    I know it seems pre-mature to most for discussion of a 2nd gen before the 1st has even been released. But not when you consider "why" the discussion is being brought up. Sure, some specs may may change or features be added between the CES and product release. So I can see the point made by some that "we don't know what it's full capabilities will really be until we get it in-hand".

But let's not kid ourselves. If it didn't have an SD slot as CES, then there's simply no way it's going to magically appear by release. That sort of thing must be specifically engineered into a device from day one. And SD support is really my main reason for looking forward to a forthcoming release.

It's really no different from seeing that the 1st gen Tesla all-electric Roadster only comes in a removable hardtop, but you really wanted to see it in a ragtop. There's no way the 1st gen will ever get that rag-top. That ship has already sailed. But the 2nd gen may - it's completely open. So why not start talking about that particular expectation? That's all.
    Ok the term "AOL phone" just got me laughing out loud...now that's funny!

I looked at the Touch Pro 2 and Diamond 2 videos too, and not only will this thing ship with 6.1 with maybe an update to 6.5 later, but it really doesn't have that much new to offer...those phones are what the Diamond and Pro should have been. They claim better battery life...we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I know it seems pre-mature to most for discussion of a 2nd gen before the 1st has even been released.
    yes and no.... I think you are just trying to make an informed decision. Now trying to make an informed decision on a piece of information that really nobody outside of palm knows the answer to (if they even know) is debateable.

NOW... I think if I had to put a watch on it.. I would say don't look for information about this supposed new phone until AT LEAST CES next year... because at that time they would be looking to refresh the centro and we know it cannot contain palm os.. so it makes since
    Being that it is the first phone of its kind, I would suspect it to have a bit of a longer lifespan than the usual one year. Seeing how some of the exciting stuff like Flash will take until the end of the year to be available, I wouldn't be surprised to see just a minor refresh to the Pre, and the introduction of a lower cost Centro running webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Being that it is the first phone of its kind, I would suspect it to have a bit of a longer lifespan than the usual one year. Seeing how some of the exciting stuff like Flash will take until the end of the year to be available, I wouldn't be surprised to see just a minor refresh to the Pre, and the introduction of a lower cost Centro running webOS.
    My guess is that if the Pre is successful, there will be a 16GB/32GB version by the first half of next year. Maybe they'll release a 16GB version in time for xmas, and then a 32GB a year from the launch of the first. I'm still wishing that the CDMA version would have a microSD card in place of the GSM version's Sim card. The next version will likely also include some kind of video conferencing and maybe even increase the size of the screen.

A low cost centro equivalent would not be surprising at all.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    ...The next version will likely also include some kind of video conferencing...

I was just thinking about this feature this morning. Why not mount a camera on the front face so that one can do video conferencing? Superb idea. Of course, it wouldn't replace desk-top video conferencing, but in tight situations when one needs to conference, but is nowhere near one's office - hey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I know it seems pre-mature to most for discussion of a 2nd gen before the 1st has even been released.
    I don't agree. You wont see enterprise and large business pick it up at all for six months. By that time lot sof market fundamentals will have changed. We will be fully into the next iphone or series of iphones, there will be an enormous number of extremely powerful HTC and other winmo devices. We will have to be hearing about new Pres if they are going to be competitive even if there are no OS problems.

I believe you will see a second generation to deal with non scalable 8GB very quickly. Either scalable memory with an SD slot. or onboard 16 or 32 to keep up with Apple.