Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yup, the wait is already destroying their sales and will make a big impact on their 2009 finances.
    I hope that was a joke because thats about as far from the truth as I don't know what...
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I hope that was a joke because thats about as far from the truth as I don't know what...
    Well just think of the people who want to Pre now that are sick of waiting, they are just going to take their sales elsewhere thus Sprint will lose the business...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Well just think of the people who want to Pre now that are sick of waiting, they are just going to take their sales elsewhere thus Sprint will lose the business...
    That doesn't seem too likely to me. I suspect that those who really want the Pre and are chomping at the bit to have it RIGHT NOW will actually wait until it is released -- April, May, June, whenever (within reason). The possible negative impact I can see is with those folks who would have purchased another Sprint/Palm phone in early 2009 but who heard about the Pre and are now waiting for it to be released. That doesn't necessarily mean lost revenue, just delayed revenue until the Pre.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Most people don't have the attention span of a gerbil...

The biggest financial impact will be on Palm as folks who might have purchased the Treo Pro (or other model) hold off on their purchase until the Pre comes out. Palm could see some seriously abyssmal sales figures this quarter - a downside of early product announcements.
    I believe this... Because if there was actually a phone out there that was comparible on sprints network that's not too pricey, then I would get it right now and wait another 2 years to get the Pre. But I don't see any so I guess ill let it slide this time... For the time being!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    That doesn't necessarily mean lost revenue, just delayed revenue until the Pre.
    I don't agree. if that is the case than the Pro delay mean no lost revenue! The world doe snot revilve around palm, they are a tiny tiny fractio of the handset and samrtphone business and people make choices outside of palm!

1) delayed revenue is most often lost revenue in competitive markets. for Sprint, they need to slow stop or reverse ongoing losses to other carriers of the highest ARPU customers. That will keep happening without a killer phone. Usually they don't come back at all, and even if they want to they don't come back for two years. even new sign ups take a long time, over a year, to start generating net profits.

For Palm, which has a high debt, delays mean servicing debt, permanently lost money, they mean bleeding cash with little revenue, they mean a weaker position and less money with which to market the phone, and they mean much much bigger exposure to competitive newer handsets that will be announced or leaked in the during the run up and first half year of of Pre sales.

2) The problem in the past quarter just reported was not the Pre announcement, since from the FCC requests by Palm for delay you can see the expect to launch Pro on Sprint in December. The negotiations for Pro and 800w with carriers ATT, Verizon and Sprint for those woudl have taken place from one year to six months ago

The screw up with Pro (GSM and CDMA) and 800w that cost lost revenue last quarter had nothing to do with Pre but with problems on those devices.

The reports for the quarter we are in and yet unreported are the ones that are going to show damage to Pro by Pre announcement. But they show more, and will show damage to Pro and Pre by other devices, not made by palm.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011