Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Isn't it a beautiful phone - it just looks like it fits the hand quite well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I have a question which maybe I've read the answer to and just don't remember. With Yahoo being shown as a launch partner during CES, what role do they play since they've now said at MWC that synergy services are currently only supported by Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Exchange? Where does Yahoo fit in?
    That was my exact question.....was hoping for integration with Yahoo Calender and family....
    From the article: "Specifically, we wanted to know what services would be supported at launch." and "it's important to note that Hotmail/Live Mail and Yahoo are NOT supported by Synergy, at least at launch."

Basically, just because Yahoo is currently working with Palm doesn't mean that it'll be ready by launch. I fully expect that there will be Yahoo at some point soon, but you can't expect every single partner out there to be able to get something out the door that fast, especially considering that there's probably some skeptics out there who probably jumped on the bandwagon pretty late, after it was seen that Palm might have a great thing here.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    From the article: "Specifically, we wanted to know what services would be supported at launch." and "it's important to note that Hotmail/Live Mail and Yahoo are NOT supported by Synergy, at least at launch."

Basically, just because Yahoo is currently working with Palm doesn't mean that it'll be ready by launch. I fully expect that there will be Yahoo at some point soon, but you can't expect every single partner out there to be able to get something out the door that fast, especially considering that there's probably some skeptics out there who probably jumped on the bandwagon pretty late, after it was seen that Palm might have a great thing here.
    People are not going to be amazed when the Pre is launched. They'll go to the store and say, "you mean I can synchronize with Google? But the G1 does that. What's the big deal? Besides, I don't use Google." The average person will not be impressed.

One-service synergy is not synergy.

On the other hand, synergy on the Pre is more impressive when looking at the whole picture: email, SMS, MMS, IM, and facebook.

I bet the Yahoo! contribution is in the IM department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    On the other hand, synergy on the Pre is more impressive when looking at the whole picture: email, SMS, MMS, IM, and facebook.

I don't know about you, but I personally don't know anyone who uses yahoo IM anymore, everyone I know has pretty much standardized on AIM or GTalk, but you're probably right. And I see for me GMail, Google Talk, AIM (whether supported through GTalk or through AIM natively, we already have seen that in screenshots), IMAP Idle, Exchange, Facebook, SMS/MMS. Seems pretty synergistic already to me.

If I didn't already use GMail, and instead had hotmail or something I might be a little disappointed, but I'd probably just make a GMail account. Again, most people I know have already migrated to GMail for personal accounts anyway, so I'm not sure it'll be too big an issue in the general populace, though I'm sure it'll suck for some people.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't know about you, but I personally don't know anyone who uses yahoo IM anymore, everyone I know has pretty much standardized on AIM or GTalk, but you're probably right. And I see for me GMail, Google Talk, AIM (whether supported through GTalk or through AIM natively, we already have seen that in screenshots), IMAP Idle, Exchange, Facebook, SMS/MMS. Seems pretty synergistic already to me.

If I didn't already use GMail, and instead had hotmail or something I might be a little disappointed, but I'd probably just make a GMail account. Again, most people I know have already migrated to GMail for personal accounts anyway, so I'm not sure it'll be too big an issue in the general populace, though I'm sure it'll suck for some people.
    I have a gmail account. The email is fine. But I wouldn't want to use the calendar and contacts (and Google doesn't have tasks as far as I know). If I have to switch to Google, I might be tempted to get an Android phone.

I'm always the skeptic. I suspect that Palm might be slow in working with Yahoo and Microsoft for synergy support because they have some kind of wink-and-nod agreement with Google to get more people to switch to the Google PIM source.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    People are not going to be amazed when the Pre is launched. They'll go to the store and say, "you mean I can synchronize with Google? But the G1 does that. What's the big deal? Besides, I don't use Google." The average person will not be impressed.

One-service synergy is not synergy.

Then again... does the average person know about the G1? And don't forget Facebook, which the average person most definitely knows about.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    And don't forget Facebook, which the average person most definitely knows about.
    Posted this in another thread regarding facebook:

I recently took to exploring options and signed up on Facebook. Of the 29 friends I currently have on Facebook, there are only maybe 4 or 5 I would want in my contacts. Of those 4 or 5 none have provided their phone number(s) or address(es) in their profiles. So basically on the Pre this would 1) show me that they are online on Facebook (who cares) and 2) put them in control of what picture I see of them on my Pre where ever that picture is used. I would rather be in control of the picture and have a static one. I don't see Facebook as a cloud solution, for me.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    What's the big deal? Besides, I don't use Google." The average person will not be impressed.
    Are you serious? The average person knows absolutely nothing about phones. Give them a pretty phone with a nice interface and they'll be thrilled. Just look at the iphone, it's missing soooo many features, but it's made by apple and its "cool" so what do they care? It's really not that difficult to please most of the population. If they make a Pre in pink, BAM, that's 40% of the under 30 female market right there. Give the phone a keyboard and outlook exchange push email... BAM. that's 80% of the businessman market right there. You've been on these forums way too long. Trust me, I'm hoping for some awesome functionality more than anyone, but the "average person" you're referring too has no clue about most of the features.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Are you serious? The average person knows absolutely nothing about phones. Give them a pretty phone with a nice interface and they'll be thrilled. Just look at the iphone, it's missing soooo many features, but it's made by apple and its "cool" so what do they care? It's really not that difficult to please most of the population. If they make a Pre in pink, BAM, that's 40% of the under 30 female market right there. Give the phone a keyboard and outlook exchange push email... BAM. that's 80% of the businessman market right there. You've been on these forums way too long. Trust me, I'm hoping for some awesome functionality more than anyone, but the "average person" you're referring too has no clue about most of the features.
    That's exactly my point. The average person is going to look at the bottom line of "what is this phone going to do for me." They know it's not made by Apple and it's not pink. It doesn't have iTunes. Most of them don't have exchange. So basically it syncs to google and facebook and has a cool interface.
    I definitely have to agree with schnoid...the iPhone's advances at the time were similar to what the MotoRazr was when it came out. It appealed to too many people based on looks.

The Treo line didnt get mass appeal until the Centro and its rainbow assortment of colors. But the Pre's golden feature is going to be the Synergy. Who cares about Yahoo when you have FACEBOOK!! That will be to the Pre what the slim form factor and Bluetooth was to the Razr and what the colors, size and versatility was to the Centro!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    While I suspect it's true that a majority of people don't put their phone number on Facebook, Synergy is more than just contacts. There's the messaging component as well.

The fact that the Pre let's you switch between AIM, Gchat, facebook chat, and texting, while threading them all together is most definitely a cool feature that I'd bet will get the average person to take notice.

Synergy with Facebook contacts is still a bonus however, to those people that are part of one or more large organizations.

Coming from a college perspective, (which is of course where Facebook started), I'm thinking fraternities/sororities and clubs that span multiple campuses locally to nationally. And it is common practice to adds tons of people that you meet, but don't necessarily immediately put their contact info into the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    So why would they not go with the full editing version of DTG? Do you think it's a limitation of the Pre or reluctance on DataViz's part (wanting you to pay up for an upgrade)?
    DataViz would have had to rewrite everything from scratch for the Pre. I doubt they have be able to do that by now. Its also much easier to write a browser app that displays documents than one which allows them to be edited.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    DataViz would have had to rewrite everything from scratch for the Pre. I doubt they have be able to do that by now. Its also much easier to write a browser app that displays documents than one which allows them to be edited.
    You'd think since they were one of the few announced partners, they would have enough time by the launch to get it done.

Anyway, Tks for the info ADGrant.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Exciting News
    Fun Stuff!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12