1.    #1  
    I'm curious since the Pre will be supporting Sprint Phone as a Modem which is supposedly $15 per month.

Data tethering is a go on Palm Pre - Engadget

What will be the advantages of this, if any, compared to using PDANET with my current Centro for free.

Speed? Not losing connection?

Thanks!
    I'm curious how there going to do this. If you have the Simply Everything Plan, they wont allow you to add the Phone As Modem to your account. I read awhile ago that they were going to change this, to allow you to be able to add it on Ala Carte.

One difference will probably be speed, and a steady connection vs using PDANet.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    I'm curious since the Pre will be supporting Sprint Phone as a Modem which is supposedly $15 per month.

Data tethering is a go on Palm Pre - Engadget

What will be the advantages of this, if any, compared to using PDANET with my current Centro for free.

Speed? Not losing connection?

Thanks!
    It's the same thing, PDANET is just a tethering app. Sprint expects you to pay the extra $15/month if you use your phone this way. Supposedly they can detect tethering based on data usage patterns, but if you don't do it too much they might not notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    It's the same thing, PDANET is just a tethering app. Sprint expects you to pay the extra $15/month if you use your phone this way. Supposedly they can detect tethering based on data usage patterns, but if you don't do it too much they might not notice.
    To add to this, seeing as the carriers are soft capping data at 5GB anyway, as long as you don't tether over this soft limit, you're fine. I absolutely do not feel guilty about tethering for free with my Treo at the moment, just as long as i don't use over 5GB every month.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Will there be a version of PDANet released for the Pre?
    I thought about this myself. I'm guessing at first only the official $15 extra tethering will be available, but my guess is someone will come out with a cheater program like PDANet sooner rather then later.

In fact, I bet somebody makes an app to share Pre's EVDO over WIFI. Now that would be handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Will there be a version of PDANet released for the Pre?
    The authors are interested, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $remains$ $to$ $be$ $seen$ $if$ $they$ $will$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I thought about this myself. I'm guessing at first only the official $15 extra tethering will be available, but my guess is someone will come out with a cheater program like PDANet sooner rather then later.

In fact, I bet somebody makes an app to share Pre's EVDO over WIFI. Now that would be handy.
    This will be a good test for Palm's "openess" for signing apps. Until/unless there is an unlocked Palm Pre, an app like PDANet or USBModem would need to be signed by Palm to run on the Pre. Palm might take the attitude that they will sign anything as long as it doesn't crash the Pre or they might bow to pressures from carriers to restrict certain types of apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    yes an advantage of $360 a contract term to Sprint!
    We will see what happens, whether it is waled garden, open or closed but breakable.

at this point with one click tethering programs allowing free tethering being mentioned in the New York Times, you have to live in a cave to pay $15/month with WM.