Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I'm excited about the "universal search" function in the Pre and I hope it can be used by 3rd-party apps because I can see it becoming even more useful. As demonstrated at CES you start typing and the Pre searches the launcher and PIM databases for matches, then also gives you some web search options like Google and Wikipedia. I'd like a bunch more options too, like "add to tasks", "add to memos", "add to calendar", "add to contacts", "copy to clipboard", "create email", "send text message", "search dictionary", etc...

It would be so great when I have to add an item or thought to my Pre if I could just open it and start typing (without having to navigate to the appropriate app and insertion point first) then let the Pre help me figure out where to put it. For example, if what I type has a phone number in it the Pre would put "add to contacts" at the top of the list. If it had a time or date in it the Pre would put "add to calendar" at the top.

Anybody else have ideas on how universal search could be extended?
    Universal search is one of the features I find most compelling on the Pre. It reminds me of Spotlight on my Air, a feature I use constantly and miss when using my XP desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Universal search is one of the features I find most compelling on the Pre. It reminds me of Spotlight on my Air, a feature I use constantly and miss when using my XP desktop.
    Switch to Vista/ Windows 7, they've got 'instant search' which is the same thing.
  4. r2m
    I read the topic and was hoping for a Trans-Dimensional search
    I have become used to this feature with windows vista, and actually find it quite usefull. I was expecting MS to include it on their next version on WM but I'm happy to se palm beeting them to the punch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Switch to Vista/ Windows 7, they've got 'instant search' which is the same thing.
    I am trying out Window 7 beta in a VM next week, If I like it maybe I will move my desktop over to it. Thanks for the tip.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I'm wondering how "universal" the Pre's search really is. In all the demos I've seen it only searches application names and contacts before going to web searches. There's no mention of searching the calendar or any other databases or documents. Surely it will have to do more that that to be a "universal search."
    good point reidme, it needs to have qualifiers to search email and datebook.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I just read this in the first chapter of the webOS development book: " searches can be performed on contacts, installed applications, or to start a web search."

Surely the Pre can search more than that. That's not very universal, hardly even the solar system!
    I hope the universal search includes music. That would be very important.