Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm wondering if high quality iphone esque games matters to anyone else?

Word on the street is that at launch, the SDK won't allow for low level programming necessary to make sophisticated 3D games. We're more likely to see Tetis and Card games. (Not saying their won't be good games)

The hope is that eventually Palm will allow programmers the access they need to write great games. By all accounts, the Pre has the hardware power to match or exceed the ipone in terms of game quality.

I'm not a huge cell phone game player, but I"m pretty jealous of my friends with iPhones/touches. Some of those game apps look pretty cool.

If 3D games never come to the Pre, would that be a turn off for you guys? How much does it matter?
    Personally I'm not all that concerned about the games. I would be stoked if iphone quality games came out for the pre, but it definitely would not be a deal killer. What would be a deal killer is if apps like VNC/Logmein didn't work on it. I use VNC on my 755p every day to access my computer at home. Free tethering is also a big one for me for those rare occasions that i don't have wifi where I am on my laptop. Besides those, I feel like all my other "convenience" apps will all be unnecessary with all the new features of the Pre. For games, I like the cheezy little games and I'm sure some accelerometer type games will quickly come out also.
    Doesn't matter in any way, shape, or form to me. When I have a surplus of free time and am stranded somewhere with my phone, I prefer to browse than play games. With the Pre, I imagine I'll finally start listening to music (especially Pandora) and watch some video as well.

I already have an iPod Touch. I HATE gaming on it because I want a more steady control scheme than taps and the accelerometer. But even if it were more to my liking, I would only play games on it if were a dedicated gaming/media device like the iPod Touch instead of an all-in-one w/phone like the iPhone or the Pre. These devices have enough power drainers on them already.
  4.    #4  
    I hear what you guys are saying, and my feelings are kind of mixed. A deal breaker for me? No, not at all, but it would be something that registers in my mind.

Apple and their developers seem to be doing pretty well selling games. It seems like it is generating quite a bit of income all around.

Also, I wonder if the Pre has decent multimedia capabilities if Palm would ever consider releasing a dedicated non-phone device.

Wouldn't that be coming full circle?
    For the record, there actually is more that can be done with Javascript and HTML for gaming than you might think.

A few examples I've found:

Nihilogic : Javascript Wolfenstein 3D
    Javascript Super Mario Kart - Nihilogic
    Super Mario in 14kB Javascript - Nihilogic
    WiiCade || Replicator
    RedLine Game | Vertigo Project

I'm sure there are other good ones, but that's a decent enough example for now.
  6.    #6  
    Did you play any of these games?? They might be better then "Tetris" I used in my example, but clearly they are not anywhere near iPhone 3d league.

I certainly think great ganes that are fun are possible with java etc, but I think that's missing the point of the thread. Clearly there are great games for the original Nintendo, but they don't compare in sophistication to current consoles.
    I'm not saying they're anywhere near the iPhone's. I'm just saying you'd be surprised at how much you can do with Javascript given the desire to. If the Pre catches on, you're going to see a lot more people having the desire to.

Besides the fact that these are all basically just tech demos except for the last two and that they're all free,so there's not exactly much incentive other than personal satisfaction for the developers for them, but they also are completely unaware of what they're running on, whereas the Pre will have device-specific APIs for developers to use. Like I said, you probably won't have games on the same level as the iPhone or the PSP or Nintendo DS, but I think after a little while you'll see some pretty high quality stuff regardless.
    Personally, I believe the Mojo SDK is a stop-gap measure to please developers with an environment to code for and that a native C SDK will be out in like 6months-1year after launch
    for this new phone will u have to buy the games from palm and so i think the games will be expensive.....
    In the same boat with the LogMeIn and VNC. I used them a bit but there is no VNC for this new operating system (there is a VNC app for WIndows and Palm OS) and LogMeIn will not work on this. LogMeIn has never been developed for the Palm OS after all this time , whats the odds they will do it for this brand new system. They just finnally put out a version for the Iphone last month after 2 years of saying they would think about it for the Iphone. if you cant live without VNC and LogMeIn so not get a PRE . I mentioned in another thread this was also my biggest issue ( along with no slingplayer and no PDA NET) .

Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Personally I'm not all that concerned about the games. I would be stoked if iphone quality games came out for the pre, but it definitely would not be a deal killer. What would be a deal killer is if apps like VNC/Logmein didn't work on it. I use VNC on my 755p every day to access my computer at home. Free tethering is also a big one for me for those rare occasions that i don't have wifi where I am on my laptop. Besides those, I feel like all my other "convenience" apps will all be unnecessary with all the new features of the Pre. For games, I like the cheezy little games and I'm sure some accelerometer type games will quickly come out also.
    Quote Originally Posted by phone queen View Post
    for this new phone will u have to buy the games from palm and so i think the games will be expensive.....
    Not true. You will be able to download from anywhere.
    Don't care at all. Some time wasters like solotaire or tetris would be okay. Certainly would have no bearing on my decision to buy.
    Don't forget this perfect arcade port of Arkanoid from one of the guys at Yahoo:

DHTML Arkanoid V1.2B | Schillmania!

All Javascript, very slick. People forget what you can really do in 2D and some of the stuff you can simulate in 2D to make it look 3D. Remember Wing Commander? 2D. How many flight sims do you know are 2D and kick that much ***?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Don't care at all. Some time wasters like solotaire or tetris would be okay. Certainly would have no bearing on my decision to buy.
    I agree. I would certainly prefer more complicated games that are even better at occupying my time, but I can remember when something like this:

Dynamic Drive DHTML Scripts- Cross Browser Snake

was the only game that I had on my phone and I was happy to play it.
    Personally I couldn't care less but it has to be said that the iPhone is shifting a huge number of these things so it would be in Palm's interest to support development of them.
    As long as I have my little games like solitaire or something like bejeweled or hexic, I am cool.
    I have a feeling a few ASTRAWARE games will be ready at launch (see previous precedent of them supporting odd screen sizes for their WM Treo products).

Just a hunch...
    Could care less about games. That's why we have a PS3 at home.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Hardly play games on my 800w. Would rather browse the net, TreoCentral forums, RSS feeds, twitter, etc
    I am the same way. I use it for basic 15 minute games like Hearts , soliatre , mindsweeper or chess/checkers. I one tried the Madden football they sold for the treo 700P and I then realized that those arcade type games are best kept on a PSP. Also those graphic extensive games eat the batterys .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast