Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Nope..Palm is releasing a phone aimed between the aolphone and BB/WM.
    Whats an aolphone?

Does this mean that the Pre wont be as good for Enterprise users as a BB, and wont be as good as a consumer phone as the iPhone? I think Palm should consider changing this strategy.
    Not a deal breaker by any means. It would be cool to have some nice games on it though. I'd like to see stuff like solitaire, mahjong solitaire, sudoku, and bejeweled.

But I definitely don't think I need anything like the games on the iPhone on my Pre. That's what my PSP is for.
    Bingo, that's what that means. Well except you got it mixed up.

Think of iphone as a multimedia phone with some game/fart apps sprinkled with a few good ones. It's for beginners to the smartphone market or for those looking for an ipod with phone. It's claim to fame is its big multitouch screen, ipod, browser, fun apps, and simple UI.

On the BB side, its all business. It's designed to get work done and handle a business's needs for email, etc. Not much of a fun side at all.

The Pre aims in the middle of that. Consumers wanting more productive and having much more features than the beginner's fun iphone or business users wanting a phone that offers more of a fun side.

BTW..i mention aolphone because i see apple traveling down the path AOL did. Giving you what they want to give you in content, being very popular at first, making things every simple, until it got to the point where most users didn't need AOL to enjoy the net or need things so simple and stuff shoved down their throats. But credit AOL for introducing many to the net in an easy way.

Give it time.. The smartphone market is young and credit goes to Apple for introducing millions to it. But these users will get more sophisticated..in time..and they'll see better from competitors...like the Pre. I expect the iphone to become a joke in 5 years or so as much as AOL became a joke over time to most people.

That is, if apple keeps its philosophy of simpleness, limitations and control. Even its over the top marketing is aol like except they don't send you a CD in the mail every other day. What's cool now can change quickly..

Think of iphone as a multimedia phone with some game/fart apps sprinkled with a few good ones. It's for beginners to the smartphone market or for those looking for an ipod with phone. It's claim to fame is its big multitouch screen, ipod, browser, fun apps, and simple UI.

On the BB side, its all business. It's designed to get work done and handle a business's needs for email, etc. Not much of a fun side at all.

The Pre aims in the middle of that. Consumers wanting more productive and having much more features than the beginner's fun iphone or business users wanting a phone that offers more of a fun side.

BTW..i mention aolphone because i see apple traveling down the path AOL did. Giving you what they want to give you in content, being very popular at first, making things every simple, until it got to the point where most users didn't need AOL to enjoy the net or need things so simple and stuff shoved down their throats.

Give it time.. The smartphone market is young and credit goes to Apple for introducing millions to it. But these users will get more sophisticated..in time..and they'll see better from competitors...like the Pre. I expect the iphone to become a joke in 5 years or so as much as AOL became a joke over time to most people.

That is, if apple keeps its philosophy of simpleness, limitations and control. Even its over the top marketing is aol like except they don't send you a CD in the mail every other day. What's cool now can change quickly..
    Just a terrific marketing strategy......

Palm: "Hey if you want the best business device get a BB."
    Palm: "Hey if you want the best consumer device get an iPhone"
    Palm: "Hey everbody that wants a device not as good for business or personal use, get my phone"
    LOL..i'll leave it alone. You're an iphone fanboy in the Pre forums and so i know this is going nowhere.
    LOL..i'll leave it alone. You're an iphone fanboy in the Pre forums and so i know this is going nowhere.
    Yep, I am. I am also a Blackberry fanboy, a S60 fanboy, etc. Are we at the point now when we question any part of the Pre's greatness with have to be labeled? sad.

I guess we should just anoint the Pre as the greatness invention ever (since sliced bread) and move on.

BTW..i mention aolphone because i see apple traveling down the path AOL did. Giving you what they want to give you in content, being very popular at first, making things every simple, until it got to the point where most users didn't need AOL to enjoy the net or need things so simple and stuff shoved down their throats. But credit AOL for introducing many to the net in an easy way.

Cardfan, I'll take your analogy, with which I agree, but I will take it one step further.

iphone, BB and Pre all come from different directions.
    One can certaily make an iphone a useable business phone (in some folks opinion). But it evolved from an ipod so thats going to be where it is most comfortable: Media, Games, and stuff.
    One can certaily have fun with a blackberry, but its roots are in a business messaging, two way pager device. So thats where it is going to excel.
    With the pre, you could certainly play movies, games, and do business activities. But lets remember where Palm originated. From Day One, palm has been there to replace your paper planner. They have ALWAYS been a general productivity device FIRST and everything was second. And thats what they are betting that the Fat Middle wants: Something to make themselves more productive. And if you look at all of Palm's devices, they start with organizing and things like that FIRST. And look at the Pre: How is it focused? Making you more productive. Thats what Palm does. Thats what they have always done. And for anyone to wonder why the Pre won't be as good a media player as the iphone, or wonder why it won't sync as well as Windows Mobile or Blackberry, should understand that The Pre is not made to compete directly against those devices, it serves a new purpose. Its an interesting Risk, but I think it will pay off.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123