Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Has anybody else (especially those who say "just give me my solitaire and bejewelled") ever tried Monopoly by Handmark? Solitaire used to be my big 'timekiller' (since I don't have a data plan - but will definately get data with the Pre). But since getting Monopoly a year ago I think I have played solitaire maybe ten times. It's really addictive because you can play an entire game in 10 minutes.

I just hope they make one for the Pre.
    I have monopoly and Trivial pursuit ( handmark also) on my centro and I had it on my Touch pro with Style tap but the game is too tiny to enjoy (atleast on the centro) .and 10 minutes ?? , you must have played an abbreviated game . in 10 minutes we would have gone around the board 2 times when i played. my first game was over a hour. never played it again. Other "Large" games I had were Billiards, GTS Racing, Bowling, I was just the opposite, I alwasy went back to the soliatres and Hearts games.
    I found ( for the centro and Touch) the best type games for the screens , one handed and the small battery were dice and card games. Yahtzee , crazy 8's (UNO) , Battle ship, Checker,Chess, Poker, texas Holdem , Slots ,TicTacToe type small games , easy to play with one hand.

Always felt card games were the best for these small devices . My top wish was a good golf game . never really found one. even on Window mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    My top wish was a good golf game . never really found one. even on Window mobile.
    Getting a little off topic now, but did you ever try Par 72 Golf and Par 3 Golf from Resetgame?

Par 72 Golf II
    Par 3 Golf II

I remember thinking they were pretty good, though its been a while since I've tried them.
    I treid those but your playing against yourself. Its like a practice round. I need an opponent. Like the original Palm Tiger Woods GOlf. Still a great palm game I break my old palms out for. Didnt work right with styletap so I gave it up.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I have added games to my phone... but unless they were Bejeweled, Sudoku, TextTwist, or a simple Blackjack or Solitaire game, they've never lasted long.

I just don't play many games anymore, even the ones that are still on there. They're mostly there now just to entertain others. Audio/ebooks, tv/movies, music, forums, and newsfeeds already fill up the entertainment slot on my phone.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    The thing with these phones is you cant play an hour game as your battery will be shot so ( unless your constantly charging) and a nice wuick game is important , you know , on the train to work, waiting in the car for the wife to get out of the store , pretend your taking notes in a business meeting.
  7.    #27  
    Any existing iPhone users want to comment on battery life with games?

Is it enough of a drain to make you avoid playing games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Any existing iPhone users want to comment on battery life with games?

Is it enough of a drain to make you avoid playing games?
    Matters which game. SimCity drains my battery pretty quick, but I can play fieldrunners (I am addicted) for hours.
    if i want games i'll get a PSP or NDS...

why waste the phone's battery on some... nevermind...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  10.    #30  
    Yeah, and if I want to browse the InterTubes, I'll get a comp-u-tator. If I want to listen to a music, I'll get a record player! If I want to keep track of appointments I'll get a leather Franklin. If I want to see a talkie, I'll go to that moving picture show... You kids and your integration... :-)
    Last edited by Captweez; 02/18/2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Oh well, the games i play most on the iphone are still the same as the old palm ones basically. Bejeweled, chess, scrabble, etc.

Time wasters but i usually browse the web instead.

My nephew got a psp and i had advised him not to since he had all the console games. My question to him was..when would you use it? If you're home, you'll use the consoles. You won't in the car..you're driving.

Sure enough, he sold it 3 months later as it collected dust on his dresser.

Moral of the story is...that stuff looks great and all (and you have this huge urge to have it) but man, i just don't use it on the iphone. If i do need to kill a few mins, i surf the web on the iphone. I haven't watched a video on it in forever besides youtube.. Audio is different story..

Everyone has their own needs though.
  12.    #32  
    Absolute truth be told, I hardly ever play games on my Centro, despite having several installed. I too am much more likely to browse the internet/RSS/ check forums etc. Having cool games is always useful to show someone when they say, "hey that looks like a cool phone."

:-)
    I only play the time waster games. etc. When I want a game I break out my PSP or the Wii / PS2. I never look at my phjone for games. I know some do but until they make battery life better its just not so easy.
    I suppose I too will spend more time surfing the web than playing games once I get a data plan. But until that time, I can't get enough of my Monopoly.

As for the notion that games shouldn't be played on a smart phone, but instead reserved for the PS3 or XBox...Well that posses a bit of a double standard don't you think? I mean, hey, the mobile phone is nothing more than an extention of our stationary devices - land-line phone, desktop computer, CD player, DVD player, camera and kitchen sink. So why not throw in video game console too. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it's better off left as a stand-alone function.

Because, believe it or not, there are still some dinasaurs roaming around out there who still think, "A phone should be just that - a phone - and nothing more. If I want to get online and check email, I'll use my desktop." Well, from that perspective, the very concept of a smart phone is preposterous.
    Last edited by Renderhaus; 02/19/2009 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    As for the notion that games shouldn't be played on a smart phone, but instead reserved for the PS3 or XBox...Well that posses a bit of a double standard don't you think?
    Don't worry, as soon as some good games get announced for the Pre, these same people will use this as proof to the Pre's greatness.
    3D games didn't come out for the iPhone/iPod until a year after initial release. I believe Palm will alow deeper access to its code in about the same timeframe, at the very least to the established game makers, and this will be a non issue.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    3D games didn't come out for the iPhone/iPod until a year after initial release. I believe Palm will alow deeper access to its code in about the same timeframe, at the very least to the established game makers, and this will be a non issue.

Instead of copying from Apples mistakes, Palm should just improve on them
    Was it really a mistake? Apple sold a lot of iphones and had renewed buzz when these games came about.

Why should palm have all the goodies from the get go in its first webOS phone? That's asking lot given what we've saw of the original iphone or even the G1. Yes, i know..because this is their last chance at survival.

I think what we've seen at demos is sufficient enough for a company saving device. Palm just needs to get it out the door. We'll see webOS evolve soon enough for more stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Was it really a mistake? Apple sold a lot of iphones and had renewed buzz when these games came about.

Why should palm have all the goodies from the get go in its first webOS phone? That's asking lot given what we've saw of the original iphone or even the G1. Yes, i know..because this is their last chance at survival.

I think what we've seen at demos is sufficient enough for a company saving device. Palm just needs to get it out the door. We'll see webOS evolve soon enough for more stuff.

Palm is releasing a device that will be competing with the current iPhone, not the iPhone from a year ago.
    Nope..Palm is releasing a phone aimed between the aolphone and BB/WM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast