Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
       #1  
    Palm Hosts Citi Analyst, Won't Let Him Touch Sexy Pre Phone (PALM)

    They didn't really let him do much with it though.
  2. #2  
    They didn't let him do it with the sexy phone? =P
  3. #3  
    More evidence that Palm may be pushing this phone out the door before it's ready.
  4. #4  
    So how did they make voice calls without being able to touch the device?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    More evidence that Palm may be pushing this phone out the door before it's ready.
    So when Palm demonstrates everything but voice calling at the CES conference, that's demonstrating that it's not ready, and when they demonstrate the voice calling it's still a sign that they're not ready? How much more o you want them to do.

    Sure, its doubtful its a production model being used yet, so yeah, maybe they're being a little overly cautious about who holds it or not, but what's the harm in that? As has been said many times, at their initial introduction, Apple didn't let anyone anywhere near the iPhone, does that mean they rushed it out the door with an unfinished device too?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    More evidence that Palm may be pushing this phone out the door before it's ready.
    They've had more than enough time to get this phone ready IMO.

    Something to chew on. Rumor or not, people believe one of some type is coming in June or July.

    Leaked Photos of Next Generation iPhone? - Mac Rumors
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They've had more than enough time to get this phone ready IMO.

    Something to chew on. Rumor or not, people believe one of some type is coming in June or July.

    Leaked Photos of Next Generation iPhone? - Mac Rumors
    I'm sure there's a new iPhone coming in the summer... but Apple is way too tight with leaks for something about it to come out this early in the year. And I have no idea what will improve in it, but a few guesses of mine: I personally doubt it'll be an iPhone Nano or whatever because that'll cost Apple more money, and they say that one of their benefits for software developers is that every device is the same resolution, same size screen, same controls. At the same time, their software also doesn't seem flexible enough to incorporate a lot of the huge improvements that the Pre shows over it. I don't want to underestimate Apple, but I personally wouldn't be surprised to see their supposed notification system, maybe even copy and paste, finally being implemented, and Flash support, but I'm not really sure they're in a position to take a huge leap forward with their next iteration.
  8. #8  
    Oooh! The back of an iPhone. That's exciting. Not.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Oooh! The back of an iPhone. That's exciting. Not.
    Heh, thought I wandered into the wrong forum there for a second. Thanks for the slap in the face!!
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm sure there's a new iPhone coming in the summer... but Apple is way too tight with leaks for something about it to come out this early in the year. And I have no idea what will improve in it, but a few guesses of mine: I personally doubt it'll be an iPhone Nano or whatever because that'll cost Apple more money, and they say that one of their benefits for software developers is that every device is the same resolution, same size screen, same controls. At the same time, their software also doesn't seem flexible enough to incorporate a lot of the huge improvements that the Pre shows over it. I don't want to underestimate Apple, but I personally wouldn't be surprised to see their supposed notification system, maybe even copy and paste, finally being implemented, and Flash support, but I'm not really sure they're in a position to take a huge leap forward with their next iteration.
    Minor improvements or not, like I said in another thread, I seriously believe Pre needs to beat the next iPhone out the door. There's much public support for the iPhone and the Pre needs to diminish that.

    Kupe said they may be releasing the phone before it's ready. How much time did they have to get it ready? This is the one they've been working on for a LONG time right?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

    Kupe said they may be releasing the phone before it's ready. How much time did they have to get it ready? This is the one they've been working on for a LONG time right?
    Yeah, but for some reason even though McNamee has been carrying his around and actually using it and giving random demos for at least a week and probably longer, for some reason people insist that all the demos are canned and that's why they all search for "Blue Man Group". I think its the fact that there were apparently hidden keyboard shortcuts to make certain things happen that is confusing people, but my opinion of that is if you're going to have to do a live demo, you want to have a way to force say a meeting notification to pop up rather than pre-enter it and then hope you have the timing right on your presentation for it to come up at the right time.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Palm Hosts Citi Analyst, Won't Let Him Touch Sexy Pre Phone (PALM)

    They didn't really let him do much with it though.
    This leads me to believe that it may not yet be ready for Prime Time. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't try to impress an analyst by letting them use it if it was going to be rolled out in the next 30 days or so.

    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  13. #13  
    In the other video posted here, the 35 minute long one with the indian fellow that most people hadn't seen yet, the demonstrator used another phone to send text messages and he even showed that phone calls work while demonstrating the Pre on the touchstone.

    As far as I am concerned, they were all working phones. Maybe Blueman Group is associated with the Venetian Hotel, and maybe that's why they did searches on them all the time....you know, advertising.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    In the other video posted here, the 35 minute
    Here's the link to the thread that you're talking about.
    It's a great video
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    This leads me to believe that it may not yet be ready for Prime Time. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't try to impress an analyst by letting them use it if it was going to be rolled out in the next 30 days or so.
    Exactly. If the phone is that close to release, then letting folks fondle it, play with it, experiment with it is just the way to increase buzz and consumer confidence. Holding it just out of reach screams "We're not ready for close scrutiny yet!" Like they're trying to hide some serious flaws...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Exactly. If the phone is that close to release, then letting folks fondle it, play with it, experiment with it is just the way to increase buzz and consumer confidence. Holding it just out of reach screams "We're not ready for close scrutiny yet!" Like they're trying to hide some serious flaws...
    The iPhone was announced January 7th. Nobody was able to hold the iPhone and touch it and use it in their hands until June. Was Apple trying to hide serious flaws then? (Other than the lack of a keyboard, which would've been a little hard to hide ).
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Exactly. If the phone is that close to release, then letting folks fondle it, play with it, experiment with it is just the way to increase buzz and consumer confidence. Holding it just out of reach screams "We're not ready for close scrutiny yet!" Like they're trying to hide some serious flaws...
    I still fear it's "we dropped the ball again and will be releasing too close to a HUGE competitor". That June rumor bothers me. I hope it's not true.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The iPhone was announced January 7th. Nobody was able to hold the iPhone and touch it and use it in their hands until June. Was Apple trying to hide serious flaws then?
    No, because there were several hands-on reports immediately following the announcement. Reports where people actually touched and operated the iPhone without an Apple employee holding the phone out of their reach. It reminds me of a magician not letting you closely examine his deck of cards during a trick ... because it would reveal the trick.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    No, because there were several hands-on reports immediately following the announcement. Reports where people actually touched and operated the iPhone without an Apple employee holding the phone out of their reach. It reminds me of a magician not letting you closely examine his deck of cards during a trick ... because it would reveal the trick.
    Okay I stand corrected. Apparently the searching I did yesterday on Google just didn't show it, but they did allow hands-on testing of it, my mistake. (Searching for 'hands-on iphone 2007' didn't show any, but 'hands-on iphone january 2007' that I tried today does show them.)

    As for your concerns, I think you're worried too much, a couple people at the show did get away with actually holding it themselves for a little bit. I don't know which sites because I've read too many, but I know there was at least one or two that did. I've also read that the sliding mechanism was still a little rough, and that's why I suspect the reps were holding them personally, nothing as nefarious as you suggest.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/15/2009 at 12:40 PM.
  20. Rhody's Avatar
    Posts
    703 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    In the other video posted here, the 35 minute long one with the indian fellow that most people hadn't seen yet, the demonstrator used another phone to send text messages and he even showed that phone calls work while demonstrating the Pre on the touchstone.

    As far as I am concerned, they were all working phones. Maybe Blueman Group is associated with the Venetian Hotel, and maybe that's why they did searches on them all the time....you know, advertising.
    I think they used Blueman Group because the letters B and L will bring up the Bluetooth application and a contact in the demo phone. It was a known effective demonstration of universal search.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions