Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Computer World has an article about the Sprint/Clearwire deal for WiMax.

Update: Sprint, Clearwire in $14.5 billion WiMax joint venture

It states that typical download speeds with WiMax average 2-4 Mbps !

WiMax in the Portland rollout reaches 6 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload!

Dan Hesse says WiMax will reach 120 - 140 million people by the end of NEXT YEAR!

Time for Palm to develop WiMax radios for the next gen Pre!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I imagine it will be in the pre2 or whatever the next phone is...
    Or maybe with an upgrade, is that a possibility, or it has to be in the hardware?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Normally from what I have read in the past that there is normally a difference in the hardware required for the different type of data speeds/types. It would be nice if they already placed the right hardware in it and just needed to change the firmware to achieve the higher speeds, but from the sounds of the Pre I bet that is unlikely.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    That is a rather old article. From what I have read, the WiMax rollout has been going poorly, and with the economy the way it is, Sprint has put a hold on it. I think it will be a while, perhaps 5 years, before WiMax is ubiquitous enough to put it in a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Or maybe with an upgrade, is that a possibility, or it has to be in the hardware?
    Not possible with the current Pre. It needs new hardware to support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kh4fun View Post
    Normally from what I have read in the past that there is normally a difference in the hardware required for the different type of data speeds/types. It would be nice if they already placed the right hardware in it and just needed to change the firmware to achieve the higher speeds, but from the sounds of the Pre I bet that is unlikely.
    Knowing Palm's History, there is no way that that will be included! They always have been a dime short either on screen resolution or memory and this time they only have given us 8 g, and no support for micro sd. That is so typical of our friends at Palm. We do not know it yet but more than likely Apple will give the Iphone 2 32 g of memory. Palm you need to put a couple of your loyal end users on the board and address the concerns of your loyalists!
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Knowing Palm's History, there is no way that that will be included! They always have been a dime short either on screen resolution or memory and this time they only have given us 8 g, and no support for micro sd. That is so typical of our friends at Palm. We do not know it yet but more than likely Apple will give the Iphone 2 32 g of memory. Palm you need to put a couple of your loyal end users on the board and address the concerns of your loyalists!
    There are a lot of people like Gas Man who don't believe Palm has changed. I guess it will take some time to change those minds.

Personally, I have seen enough change already.

By the time people like Gas Man get interested, I'll be a long time Pre user
    Tom
    I am shocked that they have been putting wifi in their newest phones. They always said we will never put in wifi because people don't need it but it was always a useful feature. *Sigh me old Tungsten C...

I would wait for computers to get WiMax first before phones start to get it. Intel just came out with a WiMax pci-e card so laptop should be coming out with built in WiMax soon.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I am shocked that they have been putting wifi in their newest phones. They always said we will never put in wifi because people don't need it but it was always a useful feature. *Sigh me old Tungsten C...

I would wait for computers to get WiMax first before phones start to get it. Intel just came out with a WiMax pci-e card so laptop should be coming out with built in WiMax soon.
    There is one Samsung phone out with Wi-Max. The problem is that this is the year that Clearwire is planning to build out several cities with Wi-max this year. Fortunately, Vegas is on the list for 2009.

The next Pre should come with a Wi-Max radio and a OLED display.

The OLED display should increase battery life by several times. No word on how much juice Wi-Max chip sets slurp.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    What were the first cities to get 3G? Anyone remember or want to take a stab at which markets will get 4G/WiMax first?
    I would honestly be surprised if we ever see a WiMax Pre, or even a WiMax webOS device at all. With Verizon actively developing its LTE network, and AT&T thinking about getting theirs up and running, I would expect Palm to focus on LTE as their 4G standard of choice. Remember, the exclusivity agreement with Sprint is only rumored to last until the end of 2009/early 2010, and which stage its free love for all.

If, and at the current rate it really is an "if", Sprint/Clearwire manage to get their "Clear" WiMax service rolling and deployed in areas that aren't Baltimore or Portland, then it might be worth considering a WiMax webOS device. At this stage though, there just isn't much incentive for manufacturers to develop for WiMax, as the R&D and manufacturing costs would far outweigh the sales potential (and Sprint can hardly afford to make up the difference).
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams

Follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    What were the first cities to get 3G? Anyone remember or want to take a stab at which markets will get 4G/WiMax first?
    Baltimore and Portland are the only cities with WiMax (XOHM)

@TomD: ah, I must have missed that Samsung phone, Thanks!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Yeah... LTE vs WiMax is going to be the next VHS/Beta Max; Blu-Ray/HD DVD battle. I got a feeling WiMax is not going to win this battle. It's too early to tell really.

There's just so much power behind LTE that I just don't think WiMax is going to survive.
    I also think that cell phones will be VOIP only in the long run.
    I would think they would just add a WiMax radio to the current 3G radio and keep both of them in the phone. It would act like super Wi-Fi that connects when in range.

Definitely cool if they can get it rolled out nation wide.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    wimax is in philly. I didn't feel like paying the extra $20/mo to upgrade my data card. the extra speed isn't worth it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Yeah... LTE vs WiMax is going to be the next VHS/Beta Max; Blu-Ray/HD DVD battle. I got a feeling WiMax is not going to win this battle. It's too early to tell really.

There's just so much power behind LTE that I just don't think WiMax is going to survive.
    I think there will eventually be a convergence of both technologies. The other technologies you mentioned weren't really interchangable, while WiMax and LTE are close enough technology wise that we will see dual-mode phones sometime soon. I do agree that LTE has more of a backing, but WiMax isn't alone and certain providers like Vodafone and KDDI are actually interested in having both technologies on their network.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    There are a lot of people like Gas Man who don't believe Palm has changed. I guess it will take some time to change those minds.

Personally, I have seen enough change already.

By the time people like Gas Man get interested, I'll be a long time Pre user

I am getting the Pre!! (and for one of my son's and wife too) It's just that Palm has not changed, (why the 8 gig and not the 32 we will get from Apple) Palm is still a little short sighted. A lot of us wanted the micros sd and the ability to syn with our Outlook or the Palm Desktop which I feel is still superior to Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    The OLED display should increase battery life by several times. No word on how much juice Wi-Max chip sets slurp.
    I'm not sure where you heard that but OLED would help in prolonging the battery life by a small amount, but it certainly does not increase battery life by several times, thats a bit absurd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast