Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I'm not sure where you heard that but OLED would help in prolonging the battery life by a small amount, but it certainly does not increase battery life by several times, thats a bit absurd.
    OLEDs have no backlight - the major drain on battery life. I don't have exact numbers but OLEDs draw a fraction of present displays with backlights.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    OLEDs have no backlight - the major drain on battery life. I don't have exact numbers but OLEDs draw a fraction of present displays with backlights.
    They also burn out quicker than VGA displays.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    OLED technology is new. Display life is the limiting factor now. As life increases, I think that OLED technology will replace other display technologies for everything from TVs to phones.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    For clarification's sake, VGA is only a resolution - 640x480 - (and a PC connector), not a type of display. Most phones use LCD or TFT, and a handful of those have VGA or better resolution.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    For clarification's sake, VGA is only a resolution - 640x480 - (and a PC connector), not a type of display. Most phones use LCD or TFT, and a handful of those have VGA or better resolution.
    Thanks for that, I got a little lazy there
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I read an article somewhere on Wi-max in Baltimore and it wasn't real good. Something about it being microwave and you had to be in line of sight for it to work well.

Maybe they have changed or fixed it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I read an article somewhere on Wi-max in Baltimore and it wasn't real good. Something about it being microwave and you had to be in line of sight for it to work well.

To be frank, all cell phones work on the microwave bandwidth.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    To be frank, all cell phones work on the microwave bandwidth.
    I guess I didn't word that well. It's signal was a directional microwave signal which made hot spots and unless you were in a hot spot, it didn't work. Something like that. If Sprint is involved with it now, I am sure they have corrected the issues they were having.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post

Gizmodo - Exclusive: WiMax Uncapped Speed Tests - WiMax

WiMax is a good thing. You will want it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    If you're going to correct the guy it's probably not a good idea to say "LCD or TFT". They are one in the same.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I know that Sprint has been saying "WiMax this year" for several years.

BUT, a few days ago I happened upon a discussion of a Clearwire cell tower approval at my local planning commission TV channel here in Vegas.

Since Vegas is on the list for WiMax this year, maybe this is the year!

Seems like WiMax will be a year or two ahead of LTE.

I think the cable companies are shaking in their boots. Imagine, low end cable performance without the cable!

Note: Clearwire is the WiMax company associated with Sprint and others.
    Tom
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12