Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Styletap or whoever else really should get on the ball now and commit to releasing a emulator of garnet for webos now that Palm has officially stated that they will not release and future garnet powered devices. There is a huge repository of really good legacy garnet applications out there and I just can't see how there could not be a market for an emulator on WebOS. Perhaps Access might release one for WebOS themselves? Heck, they've done it for Nokia internet tablets, so why not...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2. #2  
    Just call me Berd.
  3. jagowar's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #3  
    I actually think this is a good idea... palm os should come from a 3rd party and let palm devote all their time to web os.
  4. #4  
    I know you were joking about Access doing it, but there's no chance. Nokia's Internet Tablets don't compete with any future Access product since they aren't phones; it was more of a way for Access to beta-test their own Garnet Virtual Machine that will later be incorporated on their phones (if they ever release any) without currently having any devices out there. Palm on the other hand, is almost certainly seen as a competitor. You'd have as good a chance of Apple releasing applications for the Pre as you would Access.
  5. #5  
    On the other hand, it might be one of the few remaining opportunies that Access has of making some money from their ownership of the Garnet OS, and certainly the Nokia experience and ALP should mean that they have a headstart.
  6. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #6  
    Let StyleTap know, so they know it's worth it.

    StyleTap Considering Creating a Palm OS Emulator for webOS

    I think I'll be able to move away from all my old apps, and I won't be needing it myself. I say it with regret... but at least I have my old devices to still use the apps on.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  7. #7  
    When I moved from Palm to Windows I purchased Styletap. It worked for some of my pal apps but i eventrually found replacements over time and only used a few and if i get the Pre I plan on just forgetting palm OS exsited and starting fresh with WebOS. Only my plan and I am sure alot of folks will want Styletap to make a Palm app but I for one plan on making a clean switch.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    When I moved from Palm to Windows I purchased Styletap. It worked for some of my pal apps but i eventrually found replacements over time and only used a few and if i get the Pre I plan on just forgetting palm OS exsited and starting fresh with WebOS. Only my plan and I am sure alot of folks will want Styletap to make a Palm app but I for one plan on making a clean switch.
    yup... that's the way to go. totally agree.
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Let StyleTap know, so they know it's worth it.

    StyleTap Considering Creating a Palm OS Emulator for webOS

    I think I'll be able to move away from all my old apps, and I won't be needing it myself. I say it with regret... but at least I have my old devices to still use the apps on.
    from a read of that article, its clear that making an emulator will require Palm to cooperate to that extent of providing c+ APIs etc in their SDK.

    Style tap says this ain't been happening from Palm. Moreover it really reads like Palm is on a holy jihad against its own legacy -- As though they won't be happy until they expunge the pages of history (and wikipedia) of any whisper of POS
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  10. #10  
    I say that it's a prime opportunity for existing Palm OS developers to make webOS versions of their apps. Sure, the existing user base would rather not have to pay to upgrade all their apps, but on the other hand, apps written to take advantage of the Pre's unique abilities are going to provide a much better user experience.

    And if there is a big push to rewrite key apps for webOS, then that makes Styletap's potential revenue from an emulator especially short-lived. Plus, support requirements for a new emulator on a new OS are going to be significant, I would think -- a big money-loser for Styletap.
    Sprint Treo 755p
  11. #11  
    Okay, full disclaimer. I have absolutely no need for Garnet compatibility myself so this might be a little biased.

    However, I have a slight rant about the whole issue, because the only person who stands to gain any money off an emulator is Styletap. I've seen a ton of people saying that if there was an emulator, all of the old Palm developers would suddenly be making a ton of money because of all the people who would be new to Palm with the Pre, and so it'd be a win for everyone. This is entirely false though, if you look at recent history. Tons of people were introduced to Palm via the Centro, but its been shown that the type of person to buy a Centro is not going to buy applications (in general). Everyone I know with a Centro who isn't on these boards is perfectly happy with the built-in applications. The other types of Centro users were long-time Palm users, who already had all of their programs and aren't buying anything new. These people would benefit greatly from a Garnet emulator, but they still wouldn't buy any new programs on it, because they already have everything they could ever need.

    This situation is only going to be magnified on the Pre, new users aren't going to want to drop out of the pretty WebOS interface back into Garnet. As for the old users, other than a few select professionals who NEED certain apps (Epocrates for doctors, whatever the programs real estate agents use are, whatever), its just a lot of people who don't want to have to spend money for new applications. Understandable, but WebOS will at least fix a ton of the deficiencies that most people bought Garnet applications to fix.

    The problem Palm had was between pleasing old developers and bringing in new ones, and quite frankly, cutting and running was a way for them to ensure that new developers have an opportunity to make money on the situation. If everyone has to start over and buy new applications, then that can only be good for developers who want to make a profit from the device, which Garnet apps just aren't really doing anymore.

    Now, there's technical reasons as well, but from a developer standpoint, they'll be making more money from rewriting an application for WebOS than they would by having an emulator offered. That's why I don't seem to get the bitterness by many developers about no backwards compatibility.

    Anyway, I have an n800 with the Access Garnet Virtual Machine, and I've messed around with Styletap on my Windows Mobile phone, and I really just have to say, don't be stubborn. I know it sounds like an insult, but if you're open-minded about everything (and as long as you don't fit into one of those aforementioned professional groups for whom old applications are absolutely critical), I can pretty much guarantee that it'd feel very kludgy to drop into the stylus-based Garnet from the nice interface of WebOS and as you get more accustomed to the Pre you'll probably find your need and desire to run old applications decreases over time. That's how it was for me on the n800 at the very least and it sounds like a few others who posted here have had similar experiences with Styletap.
  12. #12  
    If i had any knowledge about porgramming i would be investing significant time and effort in producing this.

    I wonder if Dmitry G is on it. He hasnt updated his DGOS blog page since December!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    If i had any knowledge about porgramming i would be investing significant time and effort in producing this.

    I wonder if Dmitry G is on it. He hasnt updated his DGOS blog page since December!
    If I'm not mistaken he's said on some forum somewhere that he wants nothing to do with the Pre.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, full disclaimer. I have absolutely no need for Garnet compatibility myself so this might be a little biased.
    ....
    Yes it is. There would be people out there who use "must have" Palm OS programs which are never going to be rewritten for WebOS.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Yes it is. There would be people out there who use "must have" Palm OS programs which are never going to be rewritten for WebOS.
    Like what, other than the two examples I've already given of doctors and real estate agents?

    I mean, have you looked at the best sellers on Palm's software recently? Its filled with hacks and fixes like PowerRun/Ringo/Butler/ChatterEmail, which does stuff that should've been on the Treo years ago, games like Bejeweled, Tetris, and Sudoku, and then other system utilities like Resco Explorer, Palmary Clock, etc. Honestly, for 99% of people, once they get over the fact that its a new operating system should probably be able to have all their needs met by things that are easily ported or already exist on the Pre.

    (Using this link as a source for the top sales: PalmGear.com: Download Palm Software for your Treo, Centro, Tungsten, LifeDrive or other Palm OS Device)

    I'm sure, as I said, there's those specialized needs, but most of the people complaining just don't want to buy new software, which hurts new developers, which is exactly why a clean break is actually good for the developers.
  16. #16  
    I've been using a WM device for almost 2 years now, and I still have a need for StyleTap. There are many Palm apps that were just never duplicated for WM, and another group for which the WM ports were bloated and slow.

    I probably use ST for about 10-20 apps, some of which I use on a daily basis.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    If i had any knowledge about porgramming i would be investing significant time and effort in producing this.
    I have quite a bit of knowledge about programming, and I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Programming the emulator is one thing -- probably difficult, yes, but likely do-able. Once you've programmed an app for "public" consumption, you realize the support that is required (if you're a responsible developer). Assuming this is would be as big as everyone in this forum thinks, then the support costs would be prohibitive, I would think. There's no way you could charge enough for the app to offset that. At least IMHO.

    Having said that, I can't wait to try my hand at writing native apps for the Pre.
    Sprint Treo 755p
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    I say that it's a prime opportunity for existing Palm OS developers to make webOS versions of their apps.
    < sigh > Not all of us know how to do that. My Palm medical software development effort appears at an end...

    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    Sure, the existing user base would rather not have to pay to upgrade all their apps, but on the other hand, apps written to take advantage of the Pre's unique abilities are going to provide a much better user experience.
    < double-sigh > Not all users need fancy-shmancy apps which take full advantage of the nifty features of a web-enabled cell phone computing device. We physicians just need simple static information at our fingertips such as references, calculators, algorithms, etc. I don't need anything to look up phone numbers nor send SMS messages nor change ringtones nor contact "the cloud".

    But the vastly larger potential market for the device is enamoured of features, so...
    -- Josh
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    My Palm medical software development effort appears at an end...
    Do you use Epocrates? Palm said they were working with the developer to ensure that would be available shortly after launch. Maybe other medical software developers will do the same ... or are you saying that you're the developer?
    Sprint Treo 755p
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Not all users need fancy-shmancy apps which take full advantage of the nifty features of a web-enabled cell phone computing device. We physicians just need simple static information at our fingertips such as references, calculators, algorithms, etc. I don't need anything to look up phone numbers nor send SMS messages nor change ringtones nor contact "the cloud".

    But the vastly larger potential market for the device is enamoured of features, so...
    Sounds like you don't even need a smartphone, maybe you should just stick with a Tungsten or whichever PDA you have now. I mean, isn't that how its been for every consumer electronics product ever? If you're happy with what you have, then keep it, and if you want new features, move to the newer model. And to pilot, yeah, I think he is saying he develops applications.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions