Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    why aren't these people asking better questions!!!!
    Mentioned Epocrates app -- sounds like they're working with the developer to make sure it's available on the Pre.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Th .. Th.. Th.. at's all folks!
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    wow... that ended up being worthless..... !
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's all? awww
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I only caught the last ten minutes, but from the sounds of it I didn't miss all that much, though a few of the details already mentioned (not locked into the App Store for example) sound like good news.
    It just stopped!

Said its over.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    guess i missed all of the good stuff... lol
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Surprisingly little meat in Ed's presentation.

Maybe next week.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    MWC, here we come.
    so no info... hopefully better info next week......
  12.    #33  
    I don't know... not being locked out is a HUGE deal. I say that's some good info to go on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I don't know... not being locked out is a HUGE deal. I say that's some good info to go on...
    doesn't that mean similarities w/ WinMO... adding apps from programmers that just throw stuff to a server
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    doesn't that mean similarities w/ WinMO... adding apps from programmers that just throw stuff to a server
    it means more open development and developers... this is the current way Palm and WinMo handles apps..
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    MWC, here we come.
    Hopefully we'll get some meat and potatoes there! I mean every one wants two things, a date and a price (that's what she said).
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I totally agree. I would've loved to see a release date, but just having another tidbit of info that I can throw in iphone users faces is awesome. I think it's really important to have an app store, but just as important to leave the platform open to developers that can't get on the app store for whatever reason, or just don't want their apps there. Go Palm for leaving it open! Now if only developers will have access to low level system/OS functions then we definitely have ourselves a winner at least for third party apps!
    Ed said because of the ease of WebOS to develop for there are 10 million people (globally) currently who can develop for the Pre and other WebOs phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    Ed said because of the ease of WebOS to develop for there are 10 million people (globally) currently who can develop for the Pre and other WebOs phones.
    Yeah but that's just using java and html....we want more advanced programming to get to the actual hardware level so devs can come up with more powerful and cooler programs.
    Just listened to all the audio. Ed said:

Not going to focus on huge product line but innovative, breakthrough product line.

Ed is a Sprint customer. Really likes data service, likes ReadyNow service, and Simply Everything plan. A great plan for the Pre.

Sprint will carry a significant share of marketing. Palm will support that to position the product. Wouldn't say Sprint would do "lion's share" when asked specifically about marketing.

Expects a tough couple of quarters. Raised capital to bridge gap. Will sell at price point to climb up margin curve but thinks Sprint will be able to price at the right point.

Wants Pre to be successful out of the gate to create interest of other carriers.
    Additional partners will be sought in North America.

Patents is an elaborate area, complex area. Very robust Palm patent chest. Palm has one of highest rated patent portofolio's. Do that to have a good defensive position. Over 1500 patents. Stressed no legal action has been taken by Apple. Compared smartphone industry to porcupines walking around not irritating each other, don't want to touch each other so you don't get stung. Want to peacefully coexist. Respecting other's intellectual property but feels they do have portfolio to defend themselves.

Jeff Devine---from Nokia at Palm now. His expertise in driving manufacturers is invaluable in ramping up this product and other products.

Stressed Palm as innovators.

Both old manufacturers and new manufacturers are on board.

Have on board leading manufacturers. Best of the best.

Bigger issue (than if manufacturers will be able to meet demand and be on time) is the complex design. You have to ramp the design. Also, nailing the forecasting is very impt., managing the supply chain. Lead times on key components are impt to keep in mind.

Likes Elevation Parnters long term view. The investment window is not the next quarter but the next five years. Predicted it would take 18 months to make the accomplishments they want to achieve (which they have done).

Brought in new people to regain edge.

Mentioned that Apple was in a very rough way a long time ago and that John and Fred's experience at Apple is invaluable for Palm.

Not expecting to need more capital but said never say never, but indicated if more capital comes in they will ramp the launch up even more.
    -----------------------------

I'm not a scribe and these are not direct quotes but I think what I've shared is accurate.

Later Ed mentions tens of thousands developers capable of doing development for WebOs, not millions as I shared in a previous post.

The most interesting thing to me was Ed's talk about ramping up the design. Any idea of what that might entail?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast