Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    True.

I just don't think it speaks well when a Palm owner says their next phone may be a BB. I know another Treo owner considering NOT getting another. Palm users are so few and far between around here.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    True.

I just don't think it speaks well when a Palm owner says their next phone may be a BB. I know another Treo owner considering NOT getting another. Palm users are so few and far between around here.
    Just because they GET a BB does not mean they will keep it...

I've had a BB since around Jan 15... BB service is not so hot... but then it might be the enterprise service or a setting I don't have right... but the phone itself leaves a lot to be desired. If you ONLY do email it is an okay phone... still not better than Microsoft exchange on a microsoft phone (OS), IMO.....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Palm's latest announcement about being open to developers (outside of their app store) will be a major selling point too.
    Don't agree at all. Of the 15 million iPhone owners, I wonder what percent of people really want this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

I've had a BB since around Jan 15... BB service is not so hot... but then it might be the enterprise service or a setting I don't have right... but the phone itself leaves a lot to be desired. If you ONLY do email it is an okay phone... still not better than Microsoft exchange on a microsoft phone (OS), IMO.....

The BB is the best device by far at email and IM. If that is all you want to do, then you should definitely look at a Blackberry. However, if you want to browse the web, listen to music, watch videos, play games, have access to lots of 3rd party apps, use a device with a screen bigger than a quarter (the Storm doesn't count because its awful); then look elsewhere.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Don't agree at all. Of the 15 million iPhone owners, I wonder what percent of people really want this feature.
    For individuals, it won't be a primary selling point, but my guess would be that it will attract a lot of developers, which will lead to comparable and better apps on the Pre than the iphone, which is a more long term selling point, or at least not a point in favor of the iphone.

For companies, it could be a selling point simply because they can develop apps for their employees only, and not have to go through an app store. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I remember reading something like that in the Palm deveoper blog comments.)
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    The BB is the best device by far at email and IM. If that is all you want to do, then you should definitely look at a Blackberry. However, if you want to browse the web, listen to music, watch videos, play games, have access to lots of 3rd party apps, use a device with a screen bigger than a quarter (the Storm doesn't count because its awful); then look elsewhere.
    and the Pre does all of the above except... actually selling i guess?
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

I warned him not to get the Storm due to all the negative reports, but I can't stop him.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Excuse me for asking this, but if Apple adds true multi-tasking, what is the benefit to owning a PRE?
    One biggy. It's not made by Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    and the Pre does all of the above except... actually selling i guess?
    But does it do it as good? Can I enforce corporate IT policies on a Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    For individuals, it won't be a primary selling point, but my guess would be that it will attract a lot of developers, which will lead to comparable and better apps on the Pre than the iphone, which is a more long term selling point, or at least not a point in favor of the iphone.

For companies, it could be a selling point simply because they can develop apps for their employees only, and not have to go through an app store. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I remember reading something like that in the Palm deveoper blog comments.)
    I dont think you will see better apps written in html.
    I'm thinking the percentage of people that would like to jailbreak their iphone or have already done so is pretty significant. Many people have not because they're afraid of "bricking" their iphone. I know I'm probably not the best source for gauging how many people want open apps considering many of my friends/coworkers are tech geeks, but EVERY single person i know with an iphone (probably about 20+) have either already jailbroken their phone or would do it if they weren't afraid. I think if nothing else, you could say a significant portion of people would be interested in an open platform. My guess would be at least a million of those 15 million.
    There are apps that Apple won't allow in their app store because they compete with their own buit-in apps. There are also apps that Apple holds back because AT&T thinks they will saturate their network.

As far as multitasking and the iPhone goes, Apple will have to completely rewrite the GUI on the iPhone to achieve this. If they just throw it on top of the current GUI people would run too many apps at once not knowing it, killing their battery while confusing the hell out of them. A application manager will be needed ala cards like webOS to manage everything correctly. This goes against the Apple mentality of simple is better. Which might loose their target audience.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Excuse me for asking this, but if Apple adds true multi-tasking, what is the benefit to owning a PRE?
    Palm won't be such a controlling PITA about the apps allowed on your device. How good is TomTom on my iPhone? Exactly.
    I dont think you will see better apps written in html.
    That is a worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    My guess would be at least a million of those 15 million.
    I would be very surprised if it is even 5 percent of that number.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Palm won't be such a controlling PITA about the apps allowed on your device. How good is TomTom on my iPhone? Exactly.
    So, people complain about limitations put on iPhone developers, but most likely the more advanced Pre apps will be written with low level OS access that Palm will probably only give a select few access. To me, this is a little hypocritical.
    I would be very surprised if it is even 5 percent of that number.
    I am sure there are more than 50,000 of 15,000,000 iPhone users that would like to not be locked down to a restricted apps list.
    How are all the fart apps allowed, but they ditched iBoobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by compneo View Post
    I am sure there are more than 50,000 of 15,000,000 iPhone users that would like to not be locked down to a restricted apps list.

Perhaps they have the desire, but not the knowledge how to go about doing this. Personally, I have never considered jailbreaking. Give me copy and paste, and multi-tasking and I am good.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    How are all the fart apps allowed, but they ditched iBoobs?
    I hope Palm's marketing wont be "Buy a Pre, we have iBoob apps".
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast