Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Excuse me for asking this, but if Apple adds true multi-tasking, what is the benefit to owning a PRE?
    You're asking the wrong person because I haven't seen anything about the Pre that will get me to move back to Sprint. I'm not on the potential buyers list.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well honestly, I can only tell you what I've seen. I haven't seen or heard anyone but people from here say "I'm getting the Pre". Nor have I seen or heard anyone but those from here get excited about the Pre. I recall clips in the TV media when the Pre was announced but nothing since then. That sure wasn't the case with the iPhone. I even talked to a Treo owner the other day who said he was considering the Storm, gasp!!! He didn't even mention the Pre! A TREO owner, mind you.
    More bad news for AT&T users and T-Mobile, you guys will not land one till 2010 and that is a Great Sin! Palm needs to get this unit out the DOOR! They did announce that they (or mentioned) That eprocates is needed when it is released. Personally I really think that they are still are going to be in deep trouble if they wait for June to release the Pre. But like everyone is saying in this forum that only the dyed in wool Palm fans are awaiting the release of this device!
    Well honestly, I can only tell you what I've seen. I haven't seen or heard anyone but people from here say "I'm getting the Pre". Nor have I seen or heard anyone but those from here get excited about the Pre. I recall clips in the TV media when the Pre was announced but nothing since then. That sure wasn't the case with the iPhone. I even talked to a Treo owner the other day who said he was considering the Storm, gasp!!! He didn't even mention the Pre! A TREO owner, mind you.
    Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all, I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    There were TV commercials for the Storm before it was released - remember, they used to fade out once someone picked it up to look at it. I recall they were out at least a month before release. This is certainly a product that could use a catchy national campaign to build up the hype. Wait - I take that back - wait until I get mine, then do the ads!
    Yes...one month out when Verizon had a release date, it cleared the FCC and was stockpiling inventory.

The Pre has none of those yet.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    How about just keeping it in people's minds? Throw out some teasers to remind people and keep them interested. Palm needs to do all it can. This is PALM, not RIM or Apple. Those 2 have a favorable public persona, Palm was so close to getting written off, it isn't funny!
    But they also need to do it with the limited amount of money at their disposal. They need to maximize every dollar they have. And if I were to bet, the further and further from release that you advertise, the more the impact of that advertisement starts to plateau.

Public opinion of Palm isn't going to collapse inbetween now and June if Palm does absolutely nothing at all, while the impact of advertising closer to launch can still have a huge impact while costing less.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    The Pre certainly has not received the type of hype the iPhone did or even the Storm, but it did a good amount of coverage for a company that has been very much lacking in swagger lately. There was a lot of tech press for the announcement - I was actually surprised. I think the phone will do well, but I am not sure is will get anywhere close to Apple or RIM as far as the general consumer is concerned. However, RIM fell down a little on the Storm, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Personally I really think that they are still are going to be in deep trouble if they wait for June to release the Pre. But like everyone is saying in this forum that only the dyed in wool Palm fans are awaiting the release of this device!
    Why do people still think Palm is "waiting" as if there are 300,000 Pre phones laying around in a warehouse, and Ed Colligan is stroking his chin, laughing diabolically, and muttering to himself "Not yet....not yet, my children. Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!!"?

They're getting this thing to market ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all, I'm afraid.
    It's good enough for me, thank you. Until I see otherwise.

Perhaps YOU can tell me where the Pre hype in the general public is, because it sure isn't around here or anywhere I look on the internet, EXCEPT HERE and Engadget. And the week of CES.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    How about, just something to get a quick image out, you know a lot of these little teaser nuggets would go a long way w/o spending a whole bunch of money
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh yes, I forgot to add, that there is nothing to keep it in the minds of the general public, because it hasn't been placed there yet. The initial marketing campaign is what's going to do that, and once that starts, it would be terrible for them to stop, but until they start it doesn't really matter all that much in the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    More bad news for AT&T users and T-Mobile, you guys will not land one till 2010 and that is a Great Sin! Palm needs to get this unit out the DOOR! They did announce that they (or mentioned) That eprocates is needed when it is released. Personally I really think that they are still are going to be in deep trouble if they wait for June to release the Pre. But like everyone is saying in this forum that only the dyed in wool Palm fans are awaiting the release of this device!
    If the 32GB iPhone gets released, I'm not waiting until 2010 for an 8GB, LoL!

But did they really say 2010 for the GSM version?

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well... I kind of expected that. If we're talking exclusivity with Sprint, and Sprint is hoping this would be a phone that could help to save their company, they're not going to want that exclusivity to be just a couple months. 6 months minimum would take it to 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Excuse me for asking this, but if Apple adds true multi-tasking, what is the benefit to owning a PRE?
    a physical keyboard?
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot to add, that there is nothing to keep it in the minds of the general public, because it hasn't been placed there yet. The initial marketing campaign is what's going to do that, and once that starts, it would be terrible for them to stop, but until they start it doesn't really matter all that much in the immediate future.

But there was much initial interest the week of the CES announcement. How much of that is left? Out of sight, out of mind. They're not throwing out crumbs to keep the mainstream interested. But then Palm always did wait till the last minute.

It's good enough for me, thank you. Until I see otherwise.

Perhaps YOU can tell me where the Pre hype in the general public is, because it sure isn't around here or anywhere I look on the internet, EXCEPT HERE and Engadget. And the week of CES.
    I agree with you - we (people who frequent such forums) have the feeling many times that we are the "world" of the particular topic of the forum. But in reality we are just a microcosm of the actual market. Not that we are not a good indicator, but we just do not represent a good measuring stick for how a product is going to sell to the general public. Arguable for sure, but it is my opinion.
    If the 32GB iPhone gets released, I'm not waiting until 2010 for an 8GB, LoL!

But did they really say 2010 for the GSM version?
    Yes, believe he said they were looking for additional carriers in 2010 - referring to the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    a physical keyboard?
    Yeah, I was thinking that. If Palm is resting its future on using a physical keyboard as its sales pitch, I think they are in trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    a physical keyboard?
    amen. I'm glad someone mentioned it. Copy and paste doesn't hurt either. :-P I'm sure apple's not stupid enough to leave that off on the next iphone version though. Personally I feel like a majority of people that are scared of or hate virtual keyboards will be excited about the Pre. Palm's latest announcement about being open to developers (outside of their app store) will be a major selling point too. I'll be perfectly happy having a phone as powerful as the iphone, with more features, a keyboard, and not have to deal with "jailbreaking".
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I agree with you - we (people who frequent such forums) have the feeling many times that we are the "world" of the particular topic of the forum. But in reality we are just a microcosm of the actual market. Not that we are not a good indicator, but we just do not represent a good measuring stick for how a product is going to sell to the general public. Arguable for sure, but it is my opinion.
    I was a bit surprised though that the guy with a Treo didn't even mention the Pre. I'd think anyone who stays with Palm would be a bit of a loyalist at this point. Makes me wonder a bit just how much of an impact the Pre REALLY made.

Although it's only one person. I may start asking any Treo owners I know if they're getting the Pre just to see what they say.

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    But... just because Palm fanatics are all in the know about the Pre... that doesn't mean all Treo owners are Palm fanatics. (And repeat the same statement on down with the varying levels of loyalists, fans, etc.)

There have definitely been varying levels of keeping up to date with what Palm has been offering for me. After I got my Treo 650, I pretty much only looked for applications I needed by googling "best apps for the Treo 650" or other similar terms. Or just going to app stores.

It wasn't until my two year contract was coming to an end, where I could get a discount on my next phone, that I started doing research on what new offerings Palm had.

And I bought my m515 right before the launch of "Palm's new PDA", and I knew I simply couldn't afford to get another one so soon, so I didn't even know about the Tungsten line until the T3 came out.

A lot of people probably just have a Treo of some kind from walking into a store and seeing what was offered, and compared what was in store. Or had a choice of one or two phones from work, and picked one. Or dozens of other scenarios that led to getting a Treo without "being in the know" about it before hand.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast