Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 126
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Why would a company advertise for a phone that's not in stores with unfinished software and no release date? You guys have a weird view of marketing. Just bizarre, really...

    The followup comes in the robust website, which is MILES above the web materials for any other phone in existence save the iPhone/Apple website, along with media opps for McNamee and calls like today from Ed Colligan. I mean, you have an HOUR-LONG device walkthrough available for people to look at on demand with supplemental screens all over the website, and new content being added.

    And keep in mind all of this is BEFORE electronic media outlets have been able to get hands-on with the device. When they can, that will trigger another round of media. And when they announce launch and pricing, that will trigger ANOTHER round of media. And prior to launch, Sprint and Palm will be doing big paid advertising as well.

    The launch has gotten off to a great start. Trying to rush unfinished product into to stores because a "rumored" super-iPhone "might" launch "this year" would show Elevation Partners that their investment in Palm was a big waste. The Pre would be DOA.
    How far in advance did apple start?
    Whatever approach they took, really worked.
    Again, people lined up around the corners.
    They practically camped out in front of the stores.
    Can we expect this from Palm?
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Just to be clear I'm more excited about the pre than any phone currently slated to be released. I'm just pointing out that outside of this site and a few other palmboy sites, the general public has no clue of the pre and its capabilities. Hell most of the public has no clue of the current palm product capabilities. Its not going to be the palm diehards like us that will save palm its joe six pack and all they know right now is iphone and the like. Palm needs to strike while there is little else in the way of tempting new products.

    Like mentioned earlier, history has shown the demise of substantially better products to inferior ones due to market timing and penetration. Ask betamax, intellivision, sega, many mp3 players, etc.
    I would really have to agree w/ this statement.... when all the Joe Scmo's and tools that are on the fence, w8n for contract expirations, w8n on Pre release data, etc. find out that Iphone is doing another release, game over Palm.... only b/c Apple is a proven product to most of them and the ones that are having issues may just decide to give it another go.....
  3. #63  
    Why would a company keep an upcoming product on mainstream people's minds in advance of release? Maybe because THEY NEED TO. This is Palm we're talking about. The company many people have started to write off.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    How far in advance did apple start?
    Whatever approach they took, really worked.
    Again, people lined up around the corners.
    They practically camped out in front of the stores.
    Can we expect this from Palm?
    From that keynote Jobs did to the actual release, there was so much build up in the media. Nothing for the Pre. I don't know if it's lack of interest or Palm needing to light the fire again, but there just isn't the same hype. You need that hype for the general public.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why would a company keep an upcoming product on mainstream people's minds in advance of release? Maybe because THEY NEED TO. This is Palm we're talking about. The company many people have started to write off.
    Yea, People think I own a Blackberry.
    Just call me Berd.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    How far in advance did apple start?
    Whatever approach they took, really worked.
    Again, people lined up around the corners.
    They practically camped out in front of the stores.
    Can we expect this from Palm?
    Apple had a huge keynote in January of 2007 and released the iPhone in June 2007. No big advertising until just before launch. But Palm's doing it wrong!
  7. #67  
    Ask your average person what the Pre is and I wonder how many get it right. Mainstream people knew what the iPhone was way before it was released, all due to hype.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    From that keynote Jobs did to the actual release, there was so much build up in the media. Nothing for the Pre. I don't know if it's lack of interest or Palm needing to light the fire again, but there just isn't the same hype. You need that hype for the general public.
    Hype is almost impossible to quantify, but I don't think another handset ANNOUNCEMENT - not launch, mind you, but merely an announcement - has received significant coverage in Newsweek, US News & World Report, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal since...the iPhone in 2007.

    But again...Palm's screwing it up!
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Apple had a huge keynote in January of 2007 and released the iPhone in June 2007. No big advertising until just before launch. But Palm's doing it wrong!
    Hey! what's with the sarcasm?:
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But Palm's doing it wrong!
    Yes, Palm is doing it wrong.
    Atleast, up until now.
    My Gramma knows what an Iphone is.
    A lot of my friends think I own a Blackberry.
    Just call me Berd.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Hype is almost impossible to quantify, but I don't think another handset ANNOUNCEMENT - not launch, mind you, but merely an announcement - has received significant coverage in Newsweek, US News & World Report, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal since...the iPhone in 2007.

    But again...Palm's screwing it up!
    And yet you do not see the excitement in the general public. Something is lacking. Maybe Palm isn't doing it wrong, maybe the general public just isn't all that excited. Not good. I saw more anticipation for even the BB Storm.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Hey! what's with the sarcasm?:
    The Internet is sucky for getting this across, but it's playful sarcasm. Really.

    Yes, Palm is doing it wrong.
    Atleast, up until now.
    My Gramma knows what an Iphone is.
    A lot of my friends think I own a Blackberry.
    The iPhone launch was lightning in a bottle. Companies with a lot more money and name recognition than Palm have tried to duplicate it with no success. Expecting Palm - who has previously been steps from the grave for years now - to duplicate and surpass the peak of cellphone launches from America's biggest name brand in consumer electronics is unrealistic.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And yet you do not see the excitement in the general public.


    Again, that's unquantifiable to the point of meaninglessness. What metric is there to measure such things?

    Not good. I saw more anticipation for even the BB Storm.
    Yes...because RIM was a thriving brand with a lot more customers making a device that's a copycat of an iPhone. Palm is a tarnished brand with WAAAAAAY fewer customers making a device that competes with iPhone, yet is something different and unique.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The Internet is sucky for getting this across, but it's playful sarcasm. Really.
    .
    I know.
    I'm familiar with your work.
    Just call me Berd.
  14. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #74  
    But ok... let's say Palm does start advertising it now to the general public, and the phone doesn't come out til June (or late April to mid May).

    How many more customers will they actually get by advertising it this far in advance instead of two weeks or one month out, and how much money do they have to spend to do that?

    I never really paid attention to when advertisements for phones have come out. I've learned what I needed from the internet. When did the Blackberry Storm commericals come out? Instinct? Were they acutally 3-5 months before the release of the phone?

    Sure that works for summer blockbuster movies... but phones?
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I never really paid attention to when advertisements for phones have come out. I've learned what I needed from the internet. When did the Blackberry Storm commericals come out? Instinct? Were they acutally 3-5 months before the release of the phone?

    Sure that works for summer blockbuster movies... but phones?
    There were no print ads or TV ads for the Storm until Verizon was ready to launch it. Sprint did web ads before they were ready for the Instinct launch, but those Instinct vs. iPhone ads have become an almost legendary joke. Their "real" advertising campaign with the action, spy, and horror movie spoofs only came when they were ready to launch it. Same for iPhone ads.

    No mobile telephone company starts advertising before they are ready to launch the thing. It'd be a colossal waste of money.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Again, that's unquantifiable to the point of meaninglessness. What metric is there to measure such things?
    Well honestly, I can only tell you what I've seen. I haven't seen or heard anyone but people from here say "I'm getting the Pre". Nor have I seen or heard anyone but those from here get excited about the Pre. I recall clips in the TV media when the Pre was announced but nothing since then. That sure wasn't the case with the iPhone. I even talked to a Treo owner the other day who said he was considering the Storm, gasp!!! He didn't even mention the Pre! A TREO owner, mind you.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Video chat would be great if true. Multi-tasking is a dream come true.
    Excuse me for asking this, but if Apple adds true multi-tasking, what is the benefit to owning a PRE?
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There were no print ads or TV ads for the Storm until Verizon was ready to launch it. Sprint did web ads before they were ready for the Instinct launch, but those Instinct vs. iPhone ads have become an almost legendary joke. Their "real" advertising campaign with the action, spy, and horror movie spoofs only came when they were ready to launch it. Same for iPhone ads.

    No mobile telephone company starts advertising before they are ready to launch the thing. It'd be a colossal waste of money.
    There were TV commercials for the Storm before it was released - remember, they used to fade out once someone picked it up to look at it. I recall they were out at least a month before release. This is certainly a product that could use a catchy national campaign to build up the hype. Wait - I take that back - wait until I get mine, then do the ads!
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    But ok... let's say Palm does start advertising it now to the general public, and the phone doesn't come out til June (or late April to mid May).

    How many more customers will they actually get by advertising it this far in advance instead of two weeks or one month out, and how much money do they have to spend to do that?

    I never really paid attention to when advertisements for phones have come out. I've learned what I needed from the internet. When did the Blackberry Storm commericals come out? Instinct? Were they acutally 3-5 months before the release of the phone?

    Sure that works for summer blockbuster movies... but phones?
    How about just keeping it in people's minds? Throw out some teasers to remind people and keep them interested. Palm needs to do all it can. This is PALM, not RIM or Apple. Those 2 have a favorable public persona, Palm was so close to getting written off, it isn't funny!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #80  
    Nighttime, some Hot guy/girl walking down a brite lit big city street, doing a bunch of cool things with their Pre.

    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

    Your friends know what an iPhone is, and they might even envy you.
    As far as they know the iPhone is so cool.

    What's a Treo

    I was in the Att store, a teen was with her mother and wanted an iPhone.
    The guy said she should get a BB.
    The mother looked at the daughter, and the daughter said: "But I want an iPhone"
    Just call me Berd.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions