Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Just to be clear I'm more excited about the pre than any phone currently slated to be released. I'm just pointing out that outside of this site and a few other palmboy sites, the general public has no clue of the pre and its capabilities. Hell most of the public has no clue of the current palm product capabilities. Its not going to be the palm diehards like us that will save palm its joe six pack and all they know right now is iphone and the like. Palm needs to strike while there is little else in the way of tempting new products.

Like mentioned earlier, history has shown the demise of substantially better products to inferior ones due to market timing and penetration. Ask betamax, intellivision, sega, many mp3 players, etc.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You don't read rumors I guess. The speculation has already started about the new iPhone on some boards.

And that and $5 will get you a footlong from Subway.

And remember that when the first iPhone came out, many people signed up for 2 year contracts around the summer and fall. The 2 years will be up and people will be looking for their upgrade options, and likely may just go for another iPhone if they see no reason to change.
    Contracts are meaningless. People broke lots of them to get iPhones, and they'll break them again if they want to go elsewhere. Besides, if they mattered so much, this is a moot point since so many bought 3G iPhones just a year ago. Palm does and should not base their business decisions on what Apple "might" do.

The Pre needs to be released ASAP and blow those people away enough so they will not renew their iPhone contracts.
    Well, I guess it's good that there are so many disgruntled iPhone owners merely waiting out their contracts so they possibly jump ship, then, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Just to be clear I'm more excited about the pre than any phone currently slated to be released. I'm just pointing out that outside of this site and a few other palmboy sites, the general public has no clue of the pre and its capabilities. Hell most of the public has no clue of the current palm product capabilities. Its not going to be the palm diehards like us that will save palm its joe six pack and all they know right now is iphone and the like. Palm needs to strike while there is little else in the way of tempting new products.
    And launching a handset on one carrier that's barely in beta state with no advertising, few finished apps, and no promotional buildup in print and TV is a strike alright...a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So if Apple goes cheaper, Palm is screwed. if Apple goes more expensive and expansive, Palm is screwed. Palm's only hope for solvency and continued existence is for Apple to make no decisions whatsoever between now and June.

Really? I mean, seriously?

These doomsday scenarios were all around when the $199 3G iPhone with apps hit. There's nothing Apple is adding to a future model that upgrades it hardware and software-wise to that extent, and they're not going to do that big a price drop again. And now Palm actually has a modern-day handset and OS to compete with the other guys, and the industry loves it.

Did you miss the long, LONG section of the keynote on the cards concept, the gesture area, etc.? "Cloud capability" is hardly it's strongest suit.
    I saw that. I'll have to go find the video again to see if I can get wowed over it. The gesture area was cool, but honestly I won't drop my carrier over that.

Concerning Apple, this isn't a doomsday scenario. I'm just saying that if Palm wants to make a big dent with iPhone customers and iPhone potential customers, they need to release the Pre ASAP so people can forget the iPhone. Carriers also seem to lose customers to the iPhone, like it or not. If the Pre is late getting out, and the new iPhone is announced, I do think Palm MAY have a problem.

Now obviously there are people who won't even consider an iPhone, and those customers the Pre can easily go after, even if they release it late. But unfortunately we can't overlook the fact that the iPhone has somehow taken over much of the market. So yes I do think the Pre is competing with the iPhone to some degree. Looking at that interface tells me they were thinking in that direction somewhat.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And that and $5 will get you a footlong from Subway.

Contracts are meaningless. People broke lots of them to get iPhones, and they'll break them again if they want to go elsewhere. Besides, if they mattered so much, this is a moot point since so many bought 3G iPhones just a year ago. Palm does and should not base their business decisions on what Apple "might" do.

Well, I guess it's good that there are so many disgruntled iPhone owners merely waiting out their contracts so they possibly jump ship, then, eh?
    Sigh! I guess you don't understand what I mean.

If your contract is up for renewal, you have options. If you have the iPhone, one is to just get into another iPhone contract with the upgraded iPhone. Another is to look at other phones or even other carriers. If the Pre is released before all the next iPhone hype starts and it turns out to be a hot device, this equals new customers for Palm and Sprint. Wait too long and more AT&T/iPhone contracts will get written up.

And there actually ARE disgruntled 3G iPhone customers. This is a good chance to draw them away too. They will have to break their contracts though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The rumor at the cell phone counter at Walmart is that a new iPhone is coming out, and that it will be a "Pre Killer."
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post

Like mentioned earlier, history has shown the demise of substantially better products to inferior ones due to market timing and penetration. Ask betamax, intellivision, sega, many mp3 players, etc.
    And Palm is the worst advertiser. No Pre hype anywhere but on tech boards that the general public barely read.

I highly doubt people will be lined up around the corner like they were for the iphone.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I'm not bored, but aggravated. So many questions being asked - and some are so specific! But nobody knows the answers so why ask? OK, that was rhetorical, we're all wondering what the Pre will bring. I know I'm going to miss some good stuff because I only skim the Pre threads since they're 99% unbacked "info" until the device comes out. I wish there was a "Fact" flag that could identify a message with a piece of actual information rather than speculation. /Rant

<deep breath> I realize all posts can't be fact, but I wish most forums had just 2 Pre threads: Official Announcements and the other Pre Speculation. /Rant pt. 2
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    perhaps we are just too far in advance to get specifics.... see you guys in june
    And Palm is the worst advertiser. No Pre hype anywhere but on tech boards that the general public barely read.
    What?!

Palm debuts the device with a keynote at CES. Shortly after, their entire website is redone with crystal cleae video of the event, device walkthroughs, and new screens every couple of weeks.

They've been featured in both financial and mainstream mags since, and McNamee is walking around doing demos on demand.

This is all for a device that's not at production, much less release, status. What more would have them do at this point?
    What?!

Palm debuts the device with a keynote at CES. Shortly after, their entire website is redone with crystal cleae video of the event, device walkthroughs, and new screens every couple of weeks.

They've been featured in both financial and mainstream mags since, and McNamee is walking around doing demos on demand.

This is all for a device that's not at production, much less release, status. What more would have them do at this point?
    I still don't think it's enough for the prosumer.
    Just about anybody knew the iphone was coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I highly doubt people will be lined up around the corner like they were for the iphone.
    Just call me Berd.
    Wow... This thread has been keeping me entertained for a while now. I thought I would throw in my hat.

I agree that things are getting boring. I scan everyday for tidbits on the Pre and have found nothing since that stupid EOL doc from BGR. So I'm turning into a sad goat.

I also think a sooner than later launch for Palm would be a good idea. There are some pretty fancy handsets on the way that could steal a lot of the limelight. That Toshiba TG08 or whatever the heck it's called is looking pretty spiffy. I also think it would be nice to release it before the refreshed iPhone starts it's hype train. Who knows though. I know that when I get my Pre I would prefer it to not lock and freeze all the time. So a rock solid device would be a great thing too so this thing doesn't go the way of the Storm.
    Not to crosspost, but I thought this was an interesting find by mal:

Pro Feb 22, March 1, 8 or 15
    It only depends on ongoing final testing of a Rom fix to allocate +/- 10 to 20 MB free memory. Pro is produced. Pro has passed FCC. It is in in stock stateside in one warehouse. 230,000 units. Production in China of additional stock has not halted. A new Rom has been developed to tighten default memory usage. It is now undergoing testing. Reflash by HTC contractors of 230,000 will take two days, mostly unpacking and repacking boxes. Reflash of stock coming off the line in China is easy.

Pre June 15-30.
    Pre is not produced. Only about 200 alphas have left china. Production has not occurred. Beta has not occurred. Final physical specs have not been settled.
    Just call me Berd.
    What?!

No TV ads to tell you you need the Pre, at least nothing around here. I look on the internet and all I see are tech site posts. No ads telling people "the Pre is coming, get it!". Sure after CES, there was mainstream coverage that week, but no follow-up.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Not to crosspost, but I thought this was an interesting find by mal:
    Are those projected release dates? Too late on the Pre IMO, if so.

The Phone Diva The post about production units was made by a guy making a comment on one of BGR's blogs. He has no cred or anything. I dismissed this one a while back. His name was "Mo".
    So yeah. I wouldn't take any of that post to heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    The Phone Diva The post about production units was made by a guy making a comment on one of BGR's blogs. He has no cred or anything. I dismissed this one a while back. His name was "Mo".
    I promise not to say any Mo about it
    Just call me Berd.
    No TV ads to tell you you need the Pre, at least nothing around here. I look on the internet and all I see are tech site posts. No ads telling people "the Pre is coming, get it!". Sure after CES, there was mainstream coverage that week, but no follow-up.
    Why would a company advertise for a phone that's not in stores with unfinished software and no release date? You guys have a weird view of marketing. Just bizarre, really...

The followup comes in the robust website, which is MILES above the web materials for any other phone in existence save the iPhone/Apple website, along with media opps for McNamee and calls like today from Ed Colligan. I mean, you have an HOUR-LONG device walkthrough available for people to look at on demand with supplemental screens all over the website, and new content being added.

And keep in mind all of this is BEFORE electronic media outlets have been able to get hands-on with the device. When they can, that will trigger another round of media. And when they announce launch and pricing, that will trigger ANOTHER round of media. And prior to launch, Sprint and Palm will be doing big paid advertising as well.

The launch has gotten off to a great start. Trying to rush unfinished product into to stores because a "rumored" super-iPhone "might" launch "this year" would show Elevation Partners that their investment in Palm was a big waste. The Pre would be DOA.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast