Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Threads like this just confuse me because if the main thing that would stop you from getting a Pre is the release of a new iPhone or Android phone, then why even bother keeping up with the Pre? Just wait for those phones and be done with it. It will be released, and shortly thereafter, newer phones with some feature or another the Pre does not have will follow. This is guaranteed to happen regardless of whether the Pre is released Feb. 15th, March 15th, June 15th, or Nov. 15.
    Come on, have you never wanted something so badly that you just couldn't sit still? Have you never been so thirsty for information that you would lick up the remnants of a dried-up puddle of information?

I'm not getting a different phone. I want the Pre so badly that I've become irrational. If I can't have it yet, then I'll settle for knowledge about it. If I can't have knowledge about it, then I'll settle for unsubstantiated rumors. If I can't even get that, then I'll go slightly mad for a while.
    Hmm..a 99 iphone with less features. Not exactly the Pre's market but moreso for the dumbphone users still on the fence. Still an expensive monthly plan for what you can get at sprint.

The iphone 3g's updates isn't significant. Although i'd say the Pre needs to get the video recording in even if its not a big deal feature. And even though the 8gb is ok for me, it won't fly well for the mainstream when others are touting 32gb. This will get attacked over and over.
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/11/2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    maybe your interest will come back if you listen to the Palm webcast right now

Palm, Inc. - Events & Presentations
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Come on, have you never wanted something so badly that you just couldn't sit still? Have you never been so thirsty for information that you would lick up the remnants of a dried-up puddle of information?
    Sure, I'm mega-excited about the Pre. But when I read comments of people saying they're starting to look at other phones because they're not getting enough new info...I mean, what other phones are there to look at that weren't there BEFORE the Pre was announced? What's coming down the pike, post-Pre, that is so alluring? Nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Hmm..a 99 iphone with less features. Not exactly the Pre's market but moreso for the dumbphone users still on the fence. Still an expensive monthly plan for what you can get at sprint.
    Seeing as how you can get refurbished iPhone 3Gs right now for just $50 more than that, I don't think $99 for a gimped, 2G iPhone is the magical step that will open the floodgates and bury everybody else in the industry.

The iphone 3g's updates isn't significant. Although i'd say the Pre needs to get the video recording in even if its not a big deal feature. And even though the 8gb is ok for me, it won't fly well for the mainstream when others are touting 32gb. This will get attacked over and over.
    It was hinted in the last firmware update that a new model is coming. "including a higher-resolution touchscreen of 720-by-480, a video camera and come with either 16 or 32 gigabytes of flash memory."

Not exactly insignificant if true. Those of us who need corrective lenses could go for higher resolution. And of course I personally need the storage. But I'd like to see the new firmware first, there always seems to be some bugs in new iPhone firmware when first released. As for the "Nano iPhone" rumor, which the $99 sounds like, I'm not interested in using EDGE anymore, LOL! But $99 may guarantee a winner with kids, or those who don't like the higher data plan for 3G.

I'd say the Pre needs to be released by May at the latest to tempt the iPhone waiting group away from the iPhone. If the Pre waits until the same time the new iPhone is released(or even announced), unless there's some bad blunder on Apple's part, the iPhone will overshadow the Pre.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Seeing as how you can get refurbished iPhone 3Gs right now for just $50 more than that, I don't think $99 for a gimped, 2G iPhone is the magical step that will open the floodgates and bury everybody else in the industry.
    But that gets those on the fence tech fans that may get their hands on a gimped up device b/c its cheap........... and not understand the consequences... I am pretty sure that if you go in the store and are not tech savvy (this is hypothetical) and say 'oo $99 IPhone', the salesman is not going to say that is a paralyzed phone... look @ this model... still the significance of the Iphone is June release........ get in Gear Palm and Sprint
    Apple gets slick and pulls the old stuff off the market so you're forced to choose the newer stuff. Guaranteed that toward the new release, the current ones will start disappearing off AT&T's site, including refurbs. So you'll either have to get the new cheap model or bump up to the new 3G model.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree with THE PHONE DIVA.... hahaaaaa, but then my luck i may be in one of those areas that don't get their fair share of Pre's so I will have to w8 for the second shipment..... unless the Iphone Nano pull all them bucket heads that just want to spend money and leave some of the Pre stock.........
    Other iPhone rumors discuss a possible iChat client with video calling capabilities, and true multitasking on the new model. I think Palm may have a problem if a new iPhone becomes available with 32 gigs of storage and multi-tasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    But that gets those on the fence tech fans that may get their hands on a gimped up device b/c its cheap........... and not understand the consequences... I am pretty sure that if you go in the store and are not tech savvy (this is hypothetical) and say 'oo $99 IPhone', the salesman is not going to say that is a paralyzed phone... look @ this model... still the significance of the Iphone is June release........ get in Gear Palm and Sprint
    Isn't this what everyone said about the $199 iPhone 3G?

"OMG! They dropped the price $200. They got apps! GPS! It's over for everybody else!"

It's a zero sum game, and with each price drop, the prestige drops with it. Sidekicks used to be status items. So did RAZRs. Now, they're cheap relics mostly.

In the meantime, plenty of other smartphones have launched and sold quite well despite the "iPocalypse."

As for retail, how many retail shops do you know of where Sprint phones and iPhones are next to each other? Most people get iPhones from AT&T and Apple stores.
    Well i said the 99 dollar limited iphone wouldn't harm the Pre. But I do think it'd be successful. They're going after the dumbphone users of which the majority of the market still is. If they can pull in more users..more power to em. After all its my opinion that apple will be the new dumbphone in time with others like the Pre being more advanced options or actually defining what a smartphone is.

And the iphone 3g's rumored upgrades just isn't significant..if..if ..you're simply debating between the iphone and the Pre. The Pre's features still blow it away, not to mention the monthly price if Sprint doesn't raise them. The increased resolution and storage pretty much appeal to the people buying it for multimedia as their priority..but its still that same iphone with limited features and mostly silly apps. Besides, palm can easily upgrade the hardware later if its really a concern and to get people to upgrade.

BTW..aren't most videos bought in itunes at 480 x 320 resolution? They won't look great on that 720x480 screen. Will Apple offer to convert em? What about all the apps designed for 480x320? I'm not up on all that..will the iphone simply upconvert it?
    Only in Best Buy's mobile section are they together.

Apple is different somehow. With each price drop, more people drink the Kool-Aid and get sucked into the Apple "culture". iPods still outsell all other MP3 players, and they are now being quite reasonable with the price on the Nano version. The clique still lives on despite price drops because all those who didn't see a reason to pay more now jump at the new price. As for the iPhone, many who held out for the very last minute will jump on $99 or go for the newer better 3G version. Assuming the rumor is correct, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It was hinted in the last firmware update that a new model is coming. "including a higher-resolution touchscreen of 720-by-480, a video camera and come with either 16 or 32 gigabytes of flash memory."

Not exactly insignificant if true. Those of us who need corrective lenses could go for higher resolution. And of course I personally need the storage. But I'd like to see the new firmware first, there always seems to be some bugs in new iPhone firmware when first released. As for the "Nano iPhone" rumor, which the $99 sounds like, I'm not interested in using EDGE anymore, LOL! But $99 may guarantee a winner with kids, or those who don't like the higher data plan for 3G.

I don't think Apple is going to wade too far into the low-to-no cost handset arena. They've already said as much, and one thing their business model is all about is good profit margins, hence their current fiscal health. As for an "HD" iPhone...eh. Don't think adding video (which most other phones do already) is going to be the nail in the coffin of iPhone's competitors. Same for screen resolution or increased capacity. Apple's been leading the capacity fight for years now. There's plenty of competitors (e.g. HTC) selling millions of their smartphone handsets anyway.

I'd say the Pre needs to be released by May at the latest to tempt the iPhone waiting group away from the iPhone. If the Pre waits until the same time the new iPhone is released(or even announced), unless there's some bad blunder on Apple's part, the iPhone will overshadow the Pre.
    Who is this iPhone "waiting" group? The next iPhone might have TWO substantive hardware changes and almost zero software ones from the current one. It might also be MORE expensive. Where is this huge swath of potential customers "waiting" on that?
    Well i said the 99 dollar limited iphone wouldn't harm the Pre. But I do think it'd be successful. They're going after the dumbphone users of which the majority of the market still is. If they can pull in more users..more power to em. After all its my opinion that apple will be the new dumbphone in time with others like the Pre being more advanced options or actually defining what a smartphone is.

And the iphone 3g's rumored upgrades just isn't significant..if..if ..you're simply debating between the iphone and the Pre. The Pre's features still blow it away, not to mention the monthly price if Sprint doesn't raise them. The increased resolution and storage pretty much appeal to the people buying it for multimedia as their priority..but its still that same iphone with limited features and mostly silly apps. Besides, palm can easily upgrade the hardware later if its really a concern and to get people to upgrade.

BTW..aren't most videos bought in itunes at 480 x 320 resolution? They won't look great on that 720x480 screen. Will Apple offer to convert em? What about all the apps designed for 480x320? I'm not up on all that..will the iphone simply upconvert it?
    If they finally add copy/paste and MMS and either fix their PIM management or allow apps to take over for them, it won't be so crippled anymore. A2DP would be nice too.

The Pre's features are based mainly on it's cloud capability from what I saw. I'm still not convinced about no desktop sync.

Last about videos, I think their "HD" videos are that new resolution. I'm guessing they're going to sell the HD angle on the new iPhone, if the resolution rumor is true.

who is this iphone "waiting" group?
    :d <---- what is this? I wanted the big smilie
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Other iPhone rumors discuss a possible iChat client with video calling capabilities, and true multitasking on the new model. I think Palm may have a problem if a new iPhone becomes available with 32 gigs of storage and multi-tasking.
    I hope they do bring such a model to market. Video calling would sink AT&T's already feeble 3G network and kill whatever battery they put in there quickly. And if you think the Safari crashes are annoying now, wait until they unleash a new multi-tasking OS with multiple apps running also eating at battery life.

I don't think Apple could make a bigger mistake, but I suppose anything is possible.
    I don't think Apple is going to wade too far into the low-to-no cost handset arena. They've already said as much, and one thing their business model is all about is good profit margins, hence their current fiscal health. As for an "HD" iPhone...eh. Don't think adding video (which most other phones do already) is going to be the nail in the coffin of iPhone's competitors. Same for screen resolution or increased capacity. Apple's been leading the capacity fight for years now. There's plenty of competitors (e.g. HTC) selling millions of their smartphone handsets anyway.

Who is this iPhone "waiting" group? The next iPhone might have TWO substantive hardware changes and almost zero software ones from the current one. It might also be MORE expensive. Where is this huge swath of potential customers "waiting" on that?
    You don't read rumors I guess. The speculation has already started about the new iPhone on some boards. And remember that when the first iPhone came out, many people signed up for 2 year contracts around the summer and fall. The 2 years will be up and people will be looking for their upgrade options, and likely may just go for another iPhone if they see no reason to change. The Pre needs to be released ASAP and blow those people away enough so they will not renew their iPhone contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="navy"]If they finally add copy/paste and MMS and either fix their PIM management or allow apps to take over for them, it won't be so crippled anymore. A2DP would be nice too.
    So if Apple goes cheaper, Palm is screwed. if Apple goes more expensive and expansive, Palm is screwed. Palm's only hope for solvency and continued existence is for Apple to make no decisions whatsoever between now and June.

Really? I mean, seriously?

These doomsday scenarios were all around when the $199 3G iPhone with apps hit. There's nothing Apple is adding to a future model that upgrades it hardware and software-wise to that extent, and they're not going to do that big a price drop again. And now Palm actually has a modern-day handset and OS to compete with the other guys, and the industry loves it.

The Pre's features are based mainly on it's cloud capability from what I saw.
    Did you miss the long, LONG section of the keynote on the cards concept, the gesture area, etc.? "Cloud capability" is hardly it's strongest suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Video chat would be great if true. Multi-tasking is a dream come true.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast