Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Can some of you with WiFi experience give us the skinny on free vs. paid WiFi hot spots?

What's the normal setup?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    well usually wifi that you pay for is better because it is put out by big corporations. It all just depends on who the wifi is by, signal strength and a few other variables
    There are so many free wifi spots now, I think you'd be crazy to ever pay for wifi somewhere. Practically everywhere you take your phone/laptop, you can get a signal somewhere if you are in a city.
    yes that is very true but you need to be certain that the connection is secure.....
    Don't send anything sensitive from your phone if you're not sure about security.

I have AT&T so I can get free wifi in their spots, but Boingo Paid wifi looks better for travelers. They seem to have secured locations in every major city location.

How often do you need wifi, is what you should ask yourself. Boingo or some other paid service is good for those who find themselves needing it often in a major city, because you're guaranteed a connection spot somewhere. Free wifi may or may not be available.

But if you're getting a Pre, likely a data plan is required anyway, so you may not have to use wifi if you get unlimited data. Unless the 3G connection goes bad, which can happen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Whenever I travel by car, I make it a point to locate a Panera Bread. Their wifi is very reliable and it's free.

However, I never conduct any business like banking/investing while at a public spot.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Yes, they are good. Also try Caribou Coffee if it's in your area.

I agree about not conducting something serious at a public spot.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I second the Panera comment. They have good, consistent, free wi-fi. On that note, I must warn people that using a hotspot (even the pay ones) are often not encrypted. Even if the connection seems secured, if your data is not being encrypted or the network is using WEP, then you're really not secure at all. People can, 1) sniff your data as you transmit it back and forth, or 2) someone can create a fake hotspot that looks like a real one and steal all your data as you enter it.
    I've never used it myself, but I think many McDonald's also have free wifi. Anyone have any experience with theirs?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I've never used it myself, but I think many McDonald's also have free wifi. Anyone have any experience with theirs?
    Last time I was there, it was a pay deal through AT&T (i think). But it's been a while.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    With this cloud thingy we will need to be MORE vigilant.

We will not be able to predict when sensitive data will come into a Pre. It will be syncing on its own.

It is obvious that webbing into our bank will need more security.

Thanks for the tip on encryption.

Do public hit spots allow encryption?
    Tom
    I can tell you from my experience that WiFi is of very limited usefulness on a phone.

It drains your battery faster than anything else can.

In public places it is often slower than Sprints 3G network.

It is not secure like the 3G network is.

The only time I would use it is overseas where no Sprint service is available.

My .02,
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I can tell you from my experience that WiFi is of very limited usefulness on a phone.

My .02,
    Thanks rc,

Nice to know the down side.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Thanks rc,

Nice to know the down side.
    I guess we need to get two replacement batteries

wifi is coming on SouthWest Airlines, I'd rather be on my phone (internet on a flight) rather than the laptop
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    I'm going to Europe this summer and have heard Wifi (particularly free Wifi) is spotty there at best.

Has anyone used Boingo in Europe? Is it available throughout Europe?
    Wifi is very common in Europe. It is hard to walk around a major European city without being able to find free wifi. on any given couple of blocks

Some non business and casual users don't see need for WifI on a smartphonet. Business and serious users will telly you it is imperative.

1) wifi is faster. Wifi on you home and office network is typically 50% faster than EVDO.

2) Hotels, offices, hospitals, university buildings it is VERY common to get sprint voice signal but no EVDO. In previous threads on this topic you had peopel whowork in hosptials tell of this, and I do a lot in Hotel conference facilities, which in metro areas are almost invariably sub ground level floors with no EVDO.

3) Wfi in the other direction: Your phone as a wifi hotspot. Yes you can tether your phone, with a cable but I have been in trips where my wife and I are both using our laptops and we connect to the net on EVDO with my phone and use the phone's wifi for both our laptops simultaneously.

4) airplanes: wifi is coming on airplanes. If you do five hour flights you are off line without wifi.

5) streaming. There are many streaming situations where you are better off with wifi.

6) coprorate situations. Frequently you need wifi to access corporate

7) wifi and printing

8) limits on EVDO. Sprint doesn't not seem to enforce this much at the moment. but they may at some point and wifi means heavy users have another offset of any limit.

9) use of the device when retired from carrier service. There is a considerable residual value to your smartphone when retired as it will do 90% of its features if you have wifi even when no longer on Sprint.

10) as mentioned it will work for everything but voice overseas.
    LOl, did you know Palm and Sprint used wIFI instead of evdo at the Pre launch keynote?
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Wifi works way faster than EVDO, which has been championed by these phone compnaies because they wanted to compete with the free wifi that cities were supposed to provide.
    Has there been any city that has actually implemented free city-wide Wifi yet anyway? I know a ton were planning on it, but I don't remember any ever being reported as actually implementing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Has there been any city that has actually implemented free city-wide Wifi yet anyway? I know a ton were planning on it, but I don't remember any ever being reported as actually implementing it.
    Started rolling out in the New Orleans area as a free service but then turned into a pay deal & now I don't know its status (but it's not free).
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That was throttled in the crib by the landline and mobile providers. Your user fees go to lobbying against your interests.

Still I never have a hard time finding available wifi in cities
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Can't you just see it now? When the WiMax Pre comes out it will be the Pre Pro
    Tom

My .02,
    I have a tendency to think the same way - but usage reports are telling us a different story: Mobile Metrics - Free Mobile Market Level Data | AdMob

The iPhone and now the iPod Touch are driving up WiFi usage across the US. Probably the biggest catalyst for this in California is the fact that ATT's 3G network $ucks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast