Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. kasi1222's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
       #1  
    Amazon announced their newest e-book reader today, the Kindle 2, and one of the exciting new features that everyone is talking about is Whispersync. From Wired:

    Another major update is a new Whispersync service which makes it easier for original Kindle owners to transfer e-books they've already purchased to the new device. Whispersync will eventually work on a number of mobile devices as well, enabling Kindle owners to read their books on other devices.
    Amazon's Kindle 2 Slims Down, Adds Audio | Gadget Lab from Wired.com

    Amazon is not talking about which devices yet, but most bloggers are mentioning the iPhone and Android as possibilities. Dan Frommer, from Silicon Alley Insider, has some interesting speculations that since Sprint provides the Kindle's 3G connection, we may see this feature come to the Palm Pre first.

    Or will it be a Sprint Nextel (S) exclusive? Sprint is Amazon's wireless partner for the Kindle's 3G connection. Perhaps this is something Palm (PALM) and Amazon are working on together for the Palm Pre? Still Few Details On Kindle 'Whispersync' For Cellphones (AMZN)

    Palm is already working with Amazon on music downloads for the Pre. Wouldn't it be fantastic if they brought their enormous e-book library and Kindle synchronization to the party as well!?!
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
  2. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #2  
    Sounds very possible. Pretty cool.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  3. #3  
    Oh man, that would be so cool! Curse you for getting my hopes up!
  4. kasi1222's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
       #4  
    A few articles that specifically discuss Whispersync and the implications of expanding Amazon's e-book library beyond the Kindle to other mobile devices (hopefully the Pre!):

    Kindle 2 announced - Whispersync is what everyone should be excited about*|*Gear Diary

    Shhh: Whispersync could be the real news out of Kindle 2
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    A few articles that specifically discuss Whispersync and the implications of expanding Amazon's e-book library beyond the Kindle to other mobile devices (hopefully the Pre!):

    Kindle 2 announced - Whispersync is what everyone should be excited about*|*Gear Diary

    Shhh: Whispersync could be the real news out of Kindle 2

    I need micro SD if you going to give us this feature on the Pre!! Otherwise forget it; I think, I already have about 6 gig of Bible programs and music, I really need the micros sd Palm or give me 32 g
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I need micro SD if you going to give us this feature on the Pre!! Otherwise forget it; I think, I already have about 6 gig of Bible programs and music, I really need the micros sd Palm or give me 32 g
    Most of the Kindle books are ~1.5 meg. How many books do you need to keep on your phone at once for reading? If it works anything like the Kindle itself, you can easily transfer books to/from Amazon or your desktop.
  7. kasi1222's Avatar
    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
       #7  
    Just in case you thought only people who own Kindles would have access to Amazon's e-books, Amazon has confirmed that once they launch Whispersync, you will be able to read books on your phone regardless of whether or not you own a Kindle.

    One of the biggest new features is one that is impossible to see--the new Whisper Sync feature that will eventually let people read the same electronic book on multiple devices, including Kindles and cell phones.

    Although he wouldn't say just when people will have Kindle content on their cell phones, Freed did confirm that one won't need to have a Kindle device to read Kindle content, though he suspects some of those who try Kindle on a cell phone will ultimately buy Amazon's device.
    How Amazon designed the Kindle 2 | Tech News on ZDNet
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnL_ View Post
    Most of the Kindle books are ~1.5 meg. How many books do you need to keep on your phone at once for reading? If it works anything like the Kindle itself, you can easily transfer books to/from Amazon or your desktop.
    I've got some PDF ebooks that are very picture-heavy that are around 100MB each, and I know that comics can get very large as well since they're all pictures. I know this is the exception, and that stuff like this isn't going to come from Amazon's service anyway, but just pointing it out.
  9. #9  
    Well, since the thread is about Amazon and whispersync and buying Kindle books for the Pre, yeah, I thought that's what it was about.

    I have a Kindle and no, you are not going to buy huge PDF's for it (Amazon doesn't sell them) nor are you going to buy any graphic novels -- the Kindle isn't meant for displaying complex images. It's mostly for regular old books with words The complete works of Jane Austen is about 7 mgs, and the average ebook is about a mg or so. That's what you're looking at in terms of Kindle content for the Pre.

    Whether the Pre has sufficient space for other types of huge files is a separate issue, IMO.
  10. #10  
    Mine came today..ebayed the old kindle. It's much easier to hold which is the main draw for me.

    I really wouldn't mind the ability to put em on the Pre though. Hope amazon and palm come through.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnL_ View Post
    Well, since the thread is about Amazon and whispersync and buying Kindle books for the Pre, yeah, I thought that's what it was about.

    I have a Kindle and no, you are not going to buy huge PDF's for it (Amazon doesn't sell them) nor are you going to buy any graphic novels -- the Kindle isn't meant for displaying complex images. It's mostly for regular old books with words The complete works of Jane Austen is about 7 mgs, and the average ebook is about a mg or so. That's what you're looking at in terms of Kindle content for the Pre.

    Whether the Pre has sufficient space for other types of huge files is a separate issue, IMO.
    Oh I agree, but the poster mentioned 6GB of Bible programs and music, and I was just pointed out that it's entirely possible (especially if it was scanned and kept as images in the PDF as opposed to converted to text).

    But anyway to get back on topic, I think it's about time Amazon started opening up the Kindle format to other devices, though I buy my eBooks from Fictionwise in MS .lit format so I can easily take off the DRM and then do whatever I want with them and I'm not sure Kindle books on the Pre would change that at all.

Posting Permissions