1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has already been asked. I did a search and couldn't find anything about this. My old Treo 700 has an unfortunate annoyance of vibrating on any system alert while I am on a call (say to alert me to a new voicemail on the call-waiting I just ignored), with the silent switch set to silent mode.

I was curious if the Palm Pre was smart enough to have an audible sound using the phone's speaker to alert you while on a call, instead of vibrating when you have the device next to your ear.
    I'm not sure what the Pre does in this situation. But everytime that happens to me (I have a Treo 680), my caller always go "What the heck was that!?" Hehe
    We do know that the Pre has a proximity sensor for detecting whether the phone is up to your face on a call or not, so it seems like some smart things could be done in this category.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Funny, I was just wondering about that very issue.

I currently have a Treo 680 and am annoyed by the same thing. I pretty much always keep my phone on silent - so this is always an issue.

Another situation that causes this is if you call 411 and get a number and have them text you the info as well as connect you. It essentially guarantees that you will get the "Killer Buzz" while talking with the party you just called.

I have tried so many applications - none seem to fix this.

Note, the proximity sensor check isn't really quite the right thing - as Syphon noted, it affects the person on the other side as well.

It is such a simple thing - If a call is in progress, don't vibrate. Should be a system option.
    Hmmm.....I never saw this as an issue. To me, the vibrate function is gentle enough not to bother me, and I knowing if another call is coming in or whatever.

Still, if you do not want these notifications during calls, you should be able to disable them. That kind of non-obtrusive operation is what WebOS is about, right?
  6.    #6  
    But it's inconsistent. When there is a call waiting, you get the tone in your ear. But when you get the voicemail, it vibrates.

It may just be my view that it is an oversight and a flaw. I would have assumed that vibrate on a device in general, was to alert you to notifications in a more silent way. But if you are in a place where you can be on a call, and you have a speaker already near your ear, vibrate is largely irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Hmmm.....I never saw this as an issue. To me, the vibrate function is gentle enough not to bother me, and I knowing if another call is coming in or whatever.
    The actual vibration doesn't bother me. Like you said, it is gentle. But the motor is right next to the mic (in the Treo 680 at least). So when it does vibrate, it is loud to the person on the other side.

Here is a quick example of what it sounds like. I recorded a call & initiated the vibration.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrulesall View Post
    I was curious if the Palm Pre was smart enough to have an audible sound using the phone's speaker to alert you while on a call, instead of vibrating when you have the device next to your ear.
    I'm sure it will, my 800w already does this.
  9.    #9  
    I would assume then, that this particular issue is software based, a problem on the Palm OS versions and apparently not on Windows Mobile?
    For P-OS Treos, check out hobbyist software. Either Butler or Phone Technician will delay alarms until the phone call ends.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.