Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Say, why are stressing about transferring all our data to the Pre?

Sprint has a service called Ready Now.

... we'll personalize your phone, set up your email, voicemail, data, and everything else. Then we'll show you how it works, one-on-one...

Going from a Treo w/POS, a WinMo, BB, iPhone to a Pre - no problem.

Man! That's a big promise! Can you imagine the work load when Ready Now Sprint stores have to transfer data and set up 200K Pres in a few days?

Glad I don't have to deliver on that promise!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Do only certain stores, or only corporate stores offer that? Because, when I showed my Sprint Touch with Manila 2d installed on it to some local Sprint reps, they looked at me and asked either what kind of phone that was, or how I was able to get the UI form the Diamond on the Touch....not very confidence inspiring if you ask me.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    It includes most Sprint stores in my area.

Here's the link:

Sprint ReadyNow
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    The Corp stores are no better then Radio Shack employees. I showed a Sprint Tech a copy of NV backup and it blew their mind that you could backup and restore to an SD card.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    The store by me is a Ready Now store and I saw it done. They had a desk with all these cables and a machine that transfered all data and phone numbers and text from the old phone to the new one and then he gave the woman a 10 minute semainar on how her phone works. Then they set up her voice mail and taught her tesxting and email. Was great EXCEPT all of us who had to wait a half hour for them to finnish . People were leaving etc. There not enough staff to really make this work. It terriffic if you go to a sprint at say 2pm and everyones at work and school etc. but i went at 6pm for a case and I was there 45 minutes.
    I wouldnt leave my data in the hands of a Sprint tech. I would just start syncing to an online PIM now. When you activate the Pre and enter your online PIM accounts, the sync will be automatic and free...and probably faster than Sprint.
    Sprint has done this for me a few times, but it has always been transferring contacts mainly. Now that I am sync'ing with EAS, I wouldn't want them to do it when I get the Pre. Plus, I don't want them to steal any new Pre experiences from me--I want to savor every set-up moment!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    The store by me is a Ready Now store and I saw it done. They had a desk with all these cables and a machine that transfered all data and phone numbers and text from the old phone to the new one and then he gave the woman a 10 minute semainar on how her phone works. Then they set up her voice mail and taught her tesxting and email. Was great EXCEPT all of us who had to wait a half hour for them to finnish . People were leaving etc. There not enough staff to really make this work. It terriffic if you go to a sprint at say 2pm and everyones at work and school etc. but i went at 6pm for a case and I was there 45 minutes.

This would be horrible in the stores we have around here... it already takes them 30 mins to get to you.. i do believe the techs have you leave your phone and tell you to come back, but they don't hold any seminars
    Seminars was a bad choice of words by me. it was a one on one discussion about the phone that took over 10 minutes while we all waited on line.
    I could be wrong, but I would think Palm would offer existing PalmOS users a way of converting their PIM data over to the Pre (WebOS) themselves.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I wouldnt leave my data in the hands of a Sprint tech. I would just start syncing to an online PIM now. When you activate the Pre and enter your online PIM accounts, the sync will be automatic and free...and probably faster than Sprint.
    Bingo for leaving data with anyone, not just Sprint. There is FAR too much data on my phone - though I don't suppose any of them would be able to get past the Palm password or encryption passwords on some apps.

I hope Palm provides a way to get the full PIM data from a POS device to the Pre. All I have online is my Calendar... Contacts, Memos, and Tasks are local only.

I'm almost done manually migrating my passwords from Keyring to IDGuard. What a drag it will be losing this awesome application! I've attached multiple file types to records and so much data. I hope Resco can take us to the Pre! I love my Resco apps, but there will be pic viewers and file managers for the Pre, but IDGuard is truly unique.
    I totally agree with you Scott_L !! IDGuard is truly unique !! It is simply better than any other password manager on Palm OS and any other platform for that matter. It offers so much more functionality over SplashId, DataShield, Adarian ID, eWallet etc...etc....believe me, I have tried them all !!
    The store where I bought my phone was a ready now store. The rep offered to transfer my contacts for me, but by the time he asked, I had already sync'd with my personal EAS account. The cloud is pretty sweet.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Ready Now didn't work right for me when I got my Pre. Only a quarter of my contacts on the iPhone transferred over. Thankfully all my contacts are all on the MobileMe cloud so I just imported them into the Gmail cloud and sync'd to the Pre with no problems.