View Poll Results: How will you use your Palm Pre?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Personal

21 17.95%
  • Business

2 1.71%
  • Both

94 80.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I will personally be using it for both, probably more on the business side. It seems like it will be a great phone for both, and can easily separate my different calendars with google.
    Both Dan Hesse and Roger McNamee have said something similar too, that the Pre is great for your whole life, both business and personal stuff.

McNamee in fact has even said that the iPhone is a great consumer phone, and the Blackberry is a great email device, but that they were trying to have one device that could do it all.
    I dont have access to my EAS server at work, but I can log in to check my emails via web portal.
    More on the personal side but yes, I can see myself using it as my business phone as well.
    Definitely for both. Everything in one place. This is how I've always used my Palm devices and before that my Franklin Planner.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    It's definitely both for me. I own my own business, and ever since I felt the power of a smart phone in my clammy hands after buying a Sprint Touch, I found it to be an invaluable tool for my needs. I don't have multiple calendars like other people, so as far as that goes the Pre is almost overkill, but everything else on the phone is just perfect for me to stay in contact with everyone, and to not get lost.....I hope they stick Sprint Navi on it right away, I really can't live without it anymore!
    Both and Everything else I can.
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #8  
    I'm surprised at the amount of people that will be using it for both. Maybe I shouldn't be I guess. I just figured it would be used more on the personal side than both. That works though, as I will be using it for both.
    Personal.

I don't do work at home. The only thing related to work that's on my phone now is my calendar and that's only because it lives on my Treo.

My company has an Exchange server on the internet so theoretically I could use this to access PIM+email but I can't see why I would ever want to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by a1291762 View Post
    Personal.

I don't do work at home. The only thing related to work that's on my phone now is my calendar and that's only because it lives on my Treo.

My company has an Exchange server on the internet so theoretically I could use this to access PIM+email but I can't see why I would ever want to do that.
    One reason: because you can
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Both because it's so much easier to just carry one phone for everything rather than 2 or 3.
    I'll use it for how it seems to be intended.....both....and keeping both together and separate at the same time.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i've converged my business & personal lives. there is no boundary. there isn't even a grey area. i guess my answer is both, even though it's really just one.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Definitely both. The great attraction for me is that it looks like being much more geared towards business use than the iPhone is whilst still offering similar internet and media capabilities.
    why would that be a surprise? It's supposed to be more functional and more connected than a treo. with intuitive features to help you manage your day and ease communication, it only makes sense to be a good business device. with the larger screen and physical keyboard it makes creating and editing documents easier than on a treo. Makes no sense to think the Pre wouldn't be a more valuable business tool than a treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    I'm surprised at the amount of people that will be using it for both. Maybe I shouldn't be I guess. I just figured it would be used more on the personal side than both. That works though, as I will be using it for both.
    I barely get the multiple calendar thing. Outside of keeping track of other family members or coworker type things, having multiple calendars for just myself doesn't make sense if not for something like the Pre. Could only imagine missing something because I overlooked one calendar but not the other. All my appts whether personal or business are all on one calendar and just categorized with a couple personal categories and four or so business categories. Each has it's own color so looking at a month I can easily see what's ahead on both ends. I hope that type of funtionality is built in to the Pre.

I just looked at yahoo's contacts and the field layout almost mirrors the palm layout so transferring over would be easy if I wanted to do the cloud syncing thing if the 3rd party desktop sync isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    i've converged my business & personal lives. there is no boundary. there isn't even a grey area. i guess my answer is both, even though it's really just one.

same for me - I "own" the exchange server the PIM data is on - so what's the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I barely get the multiple calendar thing. Outside of keeping track of other family members or coworker type things, having multiple calendars for just myself doesn't make sense if not for something like the Pre. Could only imagine missing something because I overlooked one calendar but not the other. All my appts whether personal or business are all on one calendar and just categorized with a couple personal categories and four or so business categories. Each has it's own color so looking at a month I can easily see what's ahead on both ends. I hope that type of funtionality is built in to the Pre.
    For an example, my previous employer we used Exchange Server for our calendar. So, any work related meeting requests or training or that sort of thing was sent out through Exchange, and we'd have to accept it for it to show up on our calendars... But if I had a date or something, that wouldn't be something I would want kept on the company server, so it needs to go in a separate calendar. Besides that, say for some reason the company has layoffs like the one I'm referring to did. If you were using their Exchange Server for everything, you're pretty much beat, because once you're laid off, you have no access to that server anymore.

What would be a great feature to set things apart from the pack would be if the Pre would support multiple Exchange servers at once so that I could have a personal email/calendar on Exchange, and a company email/calendar on Exchange.
    Ok, I understand that. But if you received something on the work calendar in that respect, wouldn't you just enter it into your palm anyway? Then it syncs with your main calendar, and you're only maintaining one calendar then. Then you wouldn't have to worry about personal things on your work calendar or having to have them sync.

If I'm only getting a few appts or meetings off of the work calendar I think it'd just be easier. If I was getting many on a daily basis I could see the sync thing being helpful.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Ok, I understand that. But if you received something on the work calendar in that respect, wouldn't you just enter it into your palm anyway? Then it syncs with your main calendar, and you're only maintaining one calendar then. Then you wouldn't have to worry about personal things on your work calendar or having to have them sync.

If I'm only getting a few appts or meetings off of the work calendar I think it'd just be easier. If I was getting many on a daily basis I could see the sync thing being helpful.
    Nope, any meetings that I have at work I don't enter into my Palm, I leave them at work. It would be nice to have both in there, which is one reason the Pre would be useful, but it's not worth the effort to manually keep stuff like that up to date. At that company that did everything on Exchange, every new project would have a kickoff meeting to talk about the upcoming testing, plus new training and that sort of stuff would be every so often, so I'd often end up with multiple meetings in a day, not to mention that when people weren't going to be in for sickness or whatever, it was entered into the Exchange server calendar so everyone in the group would know. It was one of those things where yeah, I'd like to have it all together on one device like the Pre does, but I wasn't missing out that much not knowing my work schedule until I got into work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast