View Poll Results: How will you use your Palm Pre?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Personal

21 17.95%
  • Business

2 1.71%
  • Both

94 80.34%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can see it. Too plentiful to bother entering manually. Probably more suited to an office environment than for the road warrior types since a majority of that kind of communication is coming via Exchange.

I'll stick to Agendus type of functionality which I'm hoping will be more integrated into the Pre's calendar.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I don't want to maintain two separate calendars that hold common events. I did that for a while (before my work supported ActiveSync), and it was a pain. I basically didn't use my work calendar and used my Palm as the primary, but that main invitation difficult, and as we expand the use of meeting invitations, it makes that more difficult as well. Also, if a meeting is canceled on your work calendar, and you don't catch it, you could end up thinking you have a meeting when you don't. Now that my work does support ActiveSync, I keep my full calendar on both my PDA and the Exchange server at work, but ideally I wouldn't want to.

When it comes to the two calendars and one Palm aspect, one concern is whether your company allows you to use company resources for your personal calendar. Also, it means your company has access to your personal calendar. In addition, the aspect of changing jobs is a factor too. If you change jobs for any reason, on the Pre you just stop syncing your old work and that data can presumably go away, you add your new work, and your personal stuff stays exactly the same.

Hopefully they did think of possibly adding some functionality allowing you to specify free/busy on other calendars than the primary for the event, without putting actual details. I think that would be very handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    I don't want to maintain two separate calendars that hold common events. I did that for a while (before my work supported ActiveSync), and it was a pain. I basically didn't use my work calendar and used my Palm as the primary, but that main invitation difficult, and as we expand the use of meeting invitations, it makes that more difficult as well. Also, if a meeting is canceled on your work calendar, and you don't catch it, you could end up thinking you have a meeting when you don't. Now that my work does support ActiveSync, I keep my full calendar on both my PDA and the Exchange server at work, but ideally I wouldn't want to.

When it comes to the two calendars and one Palm aspect, one concern is whether your company allows you to use company resources for your personal calendar. Also, it means your company has access to your personal calendar. In addition, the aspect of changing jobs is a factor too. If you change jobs for any reason, on the Pre you just stop syncing your old work and that data can presumably go away, you add your new work, and your personal stuff stays exactly the same.

Hopefully they did think of possibly adding some functionality allowing you to specify free/busy on other calendars than the primary for the event, without putting actual details. I think that would be very handy.
    I'm not sure if it'll automatically set your time to busy on your work calendar for others to see, but I know that on your own calendar when you're looking at only one calendar, then any time that is busy on other calendars is shaded gray or something along those lines. We'll have to see about what you're saying.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/10/2009 at 12:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I think we're a little confused about this. From what I've read, you can stick with just the one calendar, with various categories and whatnot like you're used to, but if you want to Sync to Google, for example, that doesn't support categories and so you'll be syncing one calendar for each category - I imagine they'll appear as categories on the Pre, but the basic idea is the same. There's not really a lot of difference, to my mind, between having one calendar with multiple categories, or multiple calendars, each with one category.

Thus, it will combine all the calendars, and, I imagine, treat each calendar as a separate category.

That's something of a simplification, as it doesn't worry about little things like "This is both a family and a holiday event, so it gets categorized as both. Does it end up on two calendars?"

Now, I could be wrong on the above - Google could support categories, but I don't recall so.

The idea would be that you would have multiple categories/calendars for your personal stuff, and other ones for your work stuff (or whatever) - It would pull down your work Categories from ActiveSync (assume), and your personal calendars from Google (again, assume). They'd be visible and overlapping, giving you a single view of your day, both personal and work (assuming you see them as separate entities).

Because everything is on a different calendar/in different categories, I suspect the Pre will only report changes to Exchange ActiveSync that fall into the categories you pulled from EAS in the first place (I imagine you'll be able to create new ones as well).

If you move jobs, just tell the Pre that you want to remove your EAS account, and I believe it will just delete everything associated with that account - it will keep them all separate for this purpose, even if it shows them to you in one combined display.

Given that it supports EAS, you should be able to handle meeting requests and cancellations and whatnot on your Pre, thus you won't have to worry about 'missing' a cancellation.

Now, the above is what I believe/hope will be true for the Pre. It may not work like that, but that's what I think from watching the videos. As I said, it's also somewhat simplistic, and I haven't put a great amount of thought into it - certainly not as much the Pre developers will have.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    I will personally be using it for both, probably more on the business side. It seems like it will be a great phone for both, and can easily separate my different calendars with google.
    I use my Treo from both. I don't see using a Pre for only one. For that matter, I wouldn't want to have multiple phones for business and personal usage (which, I guess, means I don't want a job-issued phone).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    I'm surprised at the amount of people that will be using it for both. Maybe I shouldn't be I guess. I just figured it would be used more on the personal side than both. That works though, as I will be using it for both.
    I'm surprised more people are able to use it for business, I actually may not be able to get one due to internet syncing. I'm not sure how comfortable my company would be with me sending business data through this "cloud". Local syncing was fine.

Anyone else see this as an issue?
    I'm sure there will be a way to sync locally. Be patient
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm sure there will be a way to sync locally. Be patient
    Yes, be patient. There are so many features that we don't even know about yet. I'm sure everyone will be surprised when it's all revealed!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saboater View Post
    I'm surprised more people are able to use it for business, I actually may not be able to get one due to internet syncing. I'm not sure how comfortable my company would be with me sending business data through this "cloud". Local syncing was fine.

Anyone else see this as an issue?
    If the company supports mobile devices, then they already support Internet syncing. Also, that syncing wouldn't be so much the cloud, but just across the Internet to your company using an encrypted connection.

I think more people would have issues when it came to using the Pre for their work data is whether their company will allow access from devices they don't specifically support, but that depends on the company (and won't be an issue for me, as I am one of the people that determines what we support ).
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    If the company supports mobile devices, then they already support Internet syncing. Also, that syncing wouldn't be so much the cloud, but just across the Internet to your company using an encrypted connection.

I think more people would have issues when it came to using the Pre for their work data is whether their company will allow access from devices they don't specifically support, but that depends on the company (and won't be an issue for me, as I am one of the people that determines what we support ).
    That's where I fall, my company doesn't support mobile devices, but they allow me to local sync my calendar into a PDA.

They won't allow people to sync their data into Google Calendar, or things like that, however.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12