1.    #1  
    Unless this is ported over to the Pre I don't think I will be able to purchase one. I really don't see how anyone else could either. The only musical instrument I have EVER played a song on was a plastic flute, a mean (I'm told) rendition of "Twinkle twinkle, little star", circa third grade.

You gotta admit, this is pretty cool.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/te...-email.html?em

Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Unless this is ported over to the Pre I don't think I will be able to purchase one. I really don't see how anyone else could either. The only musical instrument I have EVER played a song on was a plastic flute, a mean (I'm told) rendition of "Twinkle twinkle, little star", circa third grade.

In my 8.5+ years here on TreoCentral, I don't believe I've seen a more off-topic post. Is it just me?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    In my 8.5+ years here on TreoCentral, I don't believe I've seen a more off-topic post. Is it just me?
    Weeelll, this would be better under apps we would like on the Pre.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Weeelll, this would be better under apps we would like on the Pre.
    I was going to put it there but out of respect for the seriousness of the thread I didn't. I thought I would just start a thread because I found this software fascinating, the way it uses so many features of the iPhone to create a musical instrument. Whether you think it gimmicky or not, the people that came up with this are ingenious.

I would hope those that write software could appreciate it. Instead I get Kupe, an 8 and a half year old.
    That's your reason for choosing one mobile device over another?!? I'm begging you - tell us you're kidding! With all the possibilities in this new OS, new device, second chance for Palm, etc, etc, Ocarina is what you're all about?!
    I think it was a nifty post. I want a Pre version of Ocarina... Otherwise I'll be sticking with my car phone.

Now THAT my friends, is a game changer. Haw!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    That's your reason for choosing one mobile device over another?!? I'm begging you - tell us you're kidding! With all the possibilities in this new OS, new device, second chance for Palm, etc, etc, Ocarina is what you're all about?!
    One word rambo47, Kumbaya.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I think it was a nifty post. I want a Pre version of Ocarina... Otherwise I'll be sticking with my car phone.

Now THAT my friends, is a game changer. Haw!
    I knew it was only a matter of time till my fellow flautists came to the rescue. Thanks bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Exactly my point. Mods - please move this off-topic post to the software section.
    I knew it was only a matter of time till my fellow flautists came to the rescue. Thanks bro.
    Umm, I think Pedro was being sarcastic. HAW!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Cool? Yes! A deal breaker on which to base the purchase of the Pre....lol....you are kidding right? I can understand the software keyboard being a deal killer for many people, because it affects your day to day interaction with the phone, but being able to play flute on your phone?? Let me remind you what a phone is for....it's made to make phone calls! The phones we choose just happen to be powerful enough to let us surf the web, send and receive emails and text messages, music and video players, etc., but above all, it's a phone. Guess what a flute is made for....to play music, I'd stick with that. Yeah Ocarina is cool, esp if you enjoy listening to some person half way around the globe blowing more or less skillfully into his iPhone, but damn....that's a novelty that should wear off pretty fast. Doesn't that also run on the ipod touch, if so, get that for your entertainment and get a Pre for the important things in life.

Watch this all be a mute point and some developer is actually going to come out with that program for the Pre...lol!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Umm, I think Pedro was being sarcastic. HAW!
    You caught the Goats sarcasm so skillfully, why did my subsequent same go over your head? Haw!

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Cool? Yes! A deal breaker on which to base the purchase of the Pre....lol....you are kidding right? I can understand the software keyboard being a deal killer for many people, because it affects your day to day interaction with the phone, but being able to play flute on your phone?? Let me remind you what a phone is for....it's made to make phone calls! The phones we choose just happen to be powerful enough to let us surf the web, send and receive emails and text messages, music and video players, etc., but above all, it's a phone. Guess what a flute is made for....to play music, I'd stick with that. Yeah Ocarina is cool, esp if you enjoy listening to some person half way around the globe blowing more or less skillfully into his iPhone, but damn....that's a novelty that should wear off pretty fast. Doesn't that also run on the ipod touch, if so, get that for your entertainment and get a Pre for the important things in life.

Watch this all be a mute point and some developer is actually going to come out with that program for the Pre...lol!

Manny good points here. Yes, of course I was kidding about it being a deal breaker.

I just came across the article, found it fascinating from a development standpoint, and wanted to share. Even though I don't know the first thing about writing software, I was wowed.

Let's not forget that Palm is marketing this as a business and pleasure model. Kinda like Rachael and Pris both. Can you dig it?

It really did remind me of 3rd grade, and I would gladly pay a buck for it in an app store, or catalog, whatever Palm is calling it. They made how much money so far on Ocarina?

Yeah the additional feature of listening to others around the world (love to try that out) is fabulous.

I'm still excited about the Pre, but ATT will have femtocells any day so I could give the iPhone another try. I have a BB and hotspot@home now. I'd love to see a Palm announcement concerning Flash soon. Interesting times...

Your response is what I have been looking for. Just wanted to shoot the bull. It's gonna be a while till the release.
    I just sent a mass e mail to Palm's board letting them know that if Ocarina was not already in development for the Pre then I will not be purchasing this phone. I also won't be getting one for my 5lb. dog Casey like I originally intended.

I'm anxiously awaiting a reply back. I will post on any developments that may come of this subject. Who cares about a multi-tasking OS that is desktop quality on a phone... I need to play flute... And playing flute is what I intend to do with my Pre. I hope I am not the only one who considers this much more important than any other feature this ground-breaking phone could have.

I'll be starting a live petition if I do not hear back from the board promptly.

Thanks,
    -The Goat-
    After watching some youtube videos of that app, I found it pretty cool, but there is one thing I'm confused about....

why hasn't this been merged with the other app threads yet!?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I also won't be getting one for my 5lb. dog Casey like I originally intended.

Thanks,
    -The Goat-
    Does Casey play?