Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just thought I'd share this in case anyone is interested:

Sprint Nextel CEO describes firm's changes
    One thing I do agree with - as a Sprint customer for over 9 years, the network has continued to improve and over the past year, I have had excellent service.
    Q: The big news at CES was the Palm Pre, a smart phone that will be exclusive to Sprint. How important is this phone to Sprint and how do you see this competing in the smart phone market?

A: In today's market, iconic devices, no question, they move the needle, they grab attention. And we're very excited about the Palm Pre. I will give (BlackBerry manufacturer) Research In Motion credit for creating a great business phone and the iPhone, I give it credit for being a great consumer device. This is the first one I belive that really crosses both. It's an outstanding business device and it's also a whole life consumer device. It's a combination of a superb touch screen with a physical keypad, which is, for a heavy e-mailer and texter, a must. We think it's going to be a very successful device.

We are going to see this phone pushed big time by Sprint! I expect to see Sprint run some very unique ads for this device. Something to set it apart from other phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    ...............We are going to see this phone pushed big time by Sprint! I expect to see Sprint run some very unique ads for this device. Something to set it apart from other phones.
    Unless they decide to up their numbers for day 1 ship, it probably wont do much good.... is 200K enough units to put out for a day 1 release, w/ an assumption of 10% defects
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I recently heard a rumor about Sprint.

Someone said that Sprint used to specialize in getting poor people into contracts and making it hard for them to get out. The implication was that, this had something to do with the massive loss of customers Sprint is having (since they are not doing this now).

I have no idea if the above rumor is true. I figure that this group would have some insight.

Under Hesse, customer service has been much improved and recently their 3G download speeds were found by an Gizmodo to better, on average, than AT&T and Verizon.

Review: The Definitive Coast-to-Coast 3G Data Test

It may take a while for the bad reputation Sprint used to have for customer service to dissipate.

I hope they make it. I've been a customer for 8 years and I want the first batch of Pres to have a home

Also Sprint is working on a 4G network using WiMax. This sucker is fast enough to make cable companies nervous. Bring it on!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    "Unless they decide to up their numbers for day 1 ship, it probably wont do much good.... is 200K enough units to put out for a day 1 release, w/ an assumption of 10% defects"

I'm not talking about day 1 numbers. I'm saying they will make this a big deal as far as advertising it. Also shortages on day 1 might also help it create more buzz\demand in the long run.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I recently heard a rumor about Sprint.

Someone said that Sprint used to specialize in getting poor people into contracts and making it hard for them to get out. The implication was that, this had something to do with the massive loss of customers Sprint is having (since they are not doing this now).
    Sort of. Sprint used to extend very liberal lines of credit towards non-credit-worthy people (most of whom were poor), and while this got a lot of people on the service, it also wound up reducing their margins substantially in the long-run. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that the rise of more brand-name pre-paid services made it easier for poorer people to find alternatives to Sprint.
  8.    #8  
    One thing I would really hate is another "Nintendo Wii" debacle where production couldn't catch up to demand. I really hope Sprint/Palm has good people analyzing their sales forecast.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    Unless they decide to up their numbers for day 1 ship, it probably wont do much good.... is 200K enough units to put out for a day 1 release, w/ an assumption of 10% defects
    Where are you getting a 10% defect number from?

Can you please cite that?

Or describe your Quality Assurance or Manufacturing experience with Palm's OEM supplier (who has not been identified yet) for the Pre?

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    The key word was assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Where are you getting a 10% defect number from?

Can you please cite that?

Or describe your Quality Assurance or Manufacturing experience with Palm's OEM supplier (who has not been identified yet) for the Pre?

No cite... that is a WAG.... in the industry that I am in that is just a nominal figure, we are trying to decrease our WAG on quality to 5%.... I did say assuming
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    The key word was assumption.
    Ahhh... I see now. You're saying it's like talking out of your assumption...

No basis of facts or knowledge of such things required. I get it now. My bad for expecting anything other than logic and reasoning.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    No cite... that is a WAG.... in the industry that I am in that is just a nominal figure, we are trying to decrease our WAG on quality to 5%.... I did say assuming
    What industry is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    .....My bad for expecting anything other than logic and reasoning.
    You my friend may be one of the few that still believes in logic and reasoning... but we have a saying here in this building that I go to 9 hours a day... no need to use logic and reasoning when you are dealing w/ big companies and technology

On a daily basis if you come up w/ an idea, everybody asks before the conversation continues, was there any logic in your thought..........
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I work for the military... don't talk to me about logic and reasoning

;o)
    You my friend may be one of the few that still believes in logic and reasoning... but we have a saying here in this building that I go to 9 hours a day... no need to use logic and reasoning when you are dealing w/ big companies and technology

On a daily basis if you come up w/ an idea, everybody asks before the conversation continues, was there any logic in your thought..........
    You must work for Congress.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I left VZW for Sprint almost 2 years ago (SERO plan) and I've been very satisfied.
    No problems with my phone, plan, billing or coverage (knock on wood).
    I've only called customer service 1 time about slow EVDO and the tech was very nice and helpful.
    I've recommended Sprint to many friends. I think like any company, you can get a bad experience once in a while.
    I am thrilled that with my 2 years ending in May, I can renew and get the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    You must work for Congress.
    No... however @ this day and age i wish i did i would know i would have a job to feed the fam.... I work in engineering.......... what a conundrum
    No... however @ this day and age i wish i did i would know i would have a job to feed the fam.... I work in engineering.......... what a conundrum
    I'd vote for you.

You couldn't be any worse.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I agree regarding a noticeable improvement in Sprint's customer service and network availability.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast