Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Palm Infor Center is reporting a Palm Inc. conference next Wednesday, 2-11-09.
    Palm Presenting at Investor Conference Next Week

May be this scheduled conference will gives us a hint as to Pre's release date
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    We'll see. I'm sure the question will be asked at the very least. If I was an investor, I'd want to know.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Tks for the info Jolsba.

Lets hopen we get a better idea of an launch date.

Good luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolsba View Post
    May be this scheduled conference will gives us a hint as to Pre's release date
    Of course they will - something like: "The first half of this year."

Sound familiar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Of course they will - something like: "The first half of this year."

Sound familiar?
    Yep.

Twitter / palm_inc: @jafrance Can you wait 0 t ...
    As long as they give us more tidbits to chew...I'm looking forward to having some of our other questions answered even if it isnt the release date or pricing.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Woohoo! The pressure is on Palm to commit!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Woohoo! The pressure is on Palm to commit!
    I would think it's not just Palm but also Sprint. What if Palm is ready and is waiting for Sprint to get their sh*t together?
    I would think its Palm taking\needing more time to put the finishing touch on the Pre. I was reading how during CES day 2 demo's people were saying that the Pre was more of a mockup vs a demo. Meaning that it wasnt fully ready and just running mockup screens. I only saw one phone call via the Pre in all the demo video's I watched. They also need to have App Catalog site up and have SDK ready, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    ......They also need to have App Catalog site up and have SDK ready, etc...
    Do all of you really think this is necessary for day 1 launch?
    As a user, I would like if they had the app store up and running at launch just to be able to see what 3rd party stuff is already out there but it's not a deal breaker for me. Since I'm not a programmer, having the SDK available at launch is not important at all to me.
    Last edited by NachoB; 02/06/2009 at 04:18 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    NO -app store isn;t needed for Day one.

it would be better for Palm if it was; but it will not scare people away.

however, som realistic dates on when it is coming should be put out there ... so customer buying the hpone can set their expectaions
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I think Palm is going to do it right and have App store ready at launch. I know its not the same thing, but I liked how they redesigned Palm web site when Pre was announce.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    They might have the app store up with a handful of apps or add-ons to start.
    This will be the first conference call for the new CFO; will have to see how well he hints around without sneaking past SEC boundaries when responding to the analysts.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    This will be the first conference call for the new CFO; will have to see how well he hints around without sneaking past SEC boundaries when responding to the analysts.
    SEC boundaries! There ain't no stinking SEC boundaries! That's why the economy is tanking.

On the serious side, what kind of boundaries are you referring to?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Analyst calls are not wide open to the public. As such, there are limits placed on publicly held companies by the SEC as to what what information can be released in analyst calls and publicly.

Inside counsel must vet any speeches or presentations and will direct presenters as to which topics are out of bounds based on SEC guidelines.

In particular, exact release dates, carrier names which have not already been announced, business partnerships that have not already been announced, affiliated developers that have not already been announced. Basically anything that can create rumors about Palm's or other companies' stocks that could materially affect stock prices, construed as inside information, or create opportunity for front-running by traders in the analysts' organizations.

Some presenters are absolutely straight-laced while others can be somewhat suggestive. Ed Colligan has chided analysts in the past when they push these boundaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Analyst calls are not wide open to the public.
    I assume you mean to actually call up and take part in the call rather than listen to it, because Palm (and many other companies do this as well, from my understanding) is streaming a webcast of it when it takes place.

I just thought that should be clarified.
    Good point.

Similarly shareholders' meetings are not wide open and any questions must be submitted to management prior to the meeting.