1.    #1  
    I just spoke with a manager at a local Sprint Store and he placed my name on a list for the Pre. He said when he was able to order the phone he would give me a call. He seemed to be knowledgeable about the Pre.

On the other hand, I called a different Sprint Store yesterday and they weren't interested in taking my name.
    Is this really a concern? Just order from website or whatever when its announced?
  3.    #3  
    It's a concern for me for several reasons:

1) The initial production run will sit at around 200,000, a low number necessitated by the limited manufacturing capacity for the Pre's screen hardware.

This was reported Jan. 11 and I haven't read any different. Has anyone else heard anything about initial production numbers that is different from the above?

2) I'm not a Sprint Premier customer. Currently on Verizon. Premier customers get first shot.

3) I've waited for a new smartphone for six months now and am not interested in waiting any longer. My wife wants a new phone too. We've been at the end of our 2 yr. contract for some time now and haven't been pleased with any of our choices until now.

Also just found this:

The Palm Pre is easily the most talked about phone since the original Apple iPhone. We're talking millions of Web posts, hundreds of thousands of blog mentions and more than 5,000 recent news items picked up by Google News.

With the iPhone often regarded as the pinnacle of mobile magnificence, comparisons are natural.

Since winning top honors at the Consumer Electronics Show a month ago, the Pre also has been on a media and blogger roller coaster ride.

During and shortly after CES, the Pre was labeled as the second coming of smartphones. "Palm Pre Preview: Simply amazing," reported Gizmodo.
    Well seeing as Bestbuy gives better deals (mail-in-rebates are always instant) i'll rather be stalking them.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Well seeing as Bestbuy gives better deals (mail-in-rebates are always instant) i'll rather be stalking them.
    Can you get the rebates if you already have a sprint account? Do they still give you the $$ off for an upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    2) I'm not a Sprint Premier customer. Currently on Verizon. Premier customers get first shot.
    We do? I've been with Sprint since they started back in 1996 & pay ~$175 a month, am I a Premiere Customer? I still have two lines on the "Pioneer Plan." ($0/month 0 Minutes/month and first incoming minute free.) Anyways, I haven't heard anything about getting first pick or even a preview of the phone. Can anyone confirm that premiere customer's get this advantage?
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    Can you get the rebates if you already have a sprint account? Do they still give you the $$ off for an upgrade?
    As long as you are eligible for any Sprint upgrade, you get the new customer price. What i do like about getting phones at bestbuy is that qualified upgrades get the new customer price.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I didn't know Best Buy gave instant rebtates. Tks for the info.
    Good Luck
  9.    #9  
    Sprint (NYSE: S) is launching a program that will reward its loyal customers with discounts, early upgrades, and first access to new devices like the Palm Pre.
    It's not that difficult to become eligible for the Sprint Premier program, as a customer needs to have an individual plan for three consecutive months of at least $69.99 per month, or spend at least $99.99 on a monthly shared plan. If you've been a Sprint customer for 10 years or more with any voice line, you can also apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    We do? I've been with Sprint since they started back in 1996 & pay ~$175 a month, am I a Premiere Customer? I still have two lines on the "Pioneer Plan." ($0/month 0 Minutes/month and first incoming minute free.) Anyways, I haven't heard anything about getting first pick or even a preview of the phone. Can anyone confirm that premiere customer's get this advantage?
    Log into your Sprint account online. If you're a Premier Customer (like I am ) you'll see a little S|P icon and this blurb: Show me my Loyalty Rewards – View offers.

Click on view offers and this is listed:
    Phone Showcase
    Ready for cutting–edge excellence and the latest wireless technology? Get the scoop on our featured phones so you can be among the first to upgrade.

and this:
    Announcing our newest phone from Palm. The Palm Pre. Receive "first to know" handset information and receive a notification once it becomes available.

I don't know if that means we'll get first dibs but I sure hope it does.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    I am a sprint premier customer and I took it to mean you will get first "look" at new phones not first option to buy. The wording is "first to know about" new phones , nothing in that says "Option to buy before evryone else".
  12.    #12  
    I guess it depends on what Sprint means by "first access".
    It's a concern for me for several reasons:

1) The initial production run will sit at around 200,000, a low number necessitated by the limited manufacturing capacity for the Pre's screen hardware.

This was reported Jan. 11 and I haven't read any different. Has anyone else heard anything about initial production numbers that is different from the above?
    you track the source and it is to a Russian site that does not seem authoritative. It claims that is the number though thrid quarter, meaning unitl September. Do you have a serious source that doesn't use that Russian site or track to a source that tracks to a source that tracks to the Russian site? I cant find any.

Because frankly that sounds like a pitch of shortage hype. It is either hype of a train wreck in the making. Sprint is at 50million customers turns about 28 million handsets per year. If pre launches April 1and I would they would need to move a couple of million of Pre in 12 months before it is very old news. For Palm, that seems very low numbers to extract survival margins. For sprint they have to be thinking about moving half a million in the US alone by end summer so that is less than half. ATT alone activates 600,000 new iphones every month, nearly 2 million per quarter and a lot of those sales are prime high priofit customers leaving Sprint.
    I guess it depends on what Sprint means by "first access".
    It means most profitable customers, the ones they think might leave for iphone and would hurt if they left.