Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that @Giovanni, @DanCrumb and I (@whurley) have created preDevCamp 2009. If you're ever been to a BarCamp, SuperHappyDevHouse, or DevCamp and you're interested in the Palm Pre then Check out the website:

preDevCamp

For those of you not familiar with the events I just listed here's the 10,000 foot explanation:

preDevCamp is an upcoming not-for-profit gathering to develop applications for Palm Pre using both the Mojo SDK and traditional web standards. The event is currently being planned in over 60 cities around the world. Yes, it's free and open to all.

To register, select your city from the 'event finder' and then click on "Register" in the side bar.

If you find a bug, want to organize a camp in your city, or want to volunteer please email me at whurley@.... We have a way of setting up new cities in about 5 minutes, and we have experienced devCampers ready to help mentor anyone interested in helping the community.

Please let me know if you have any questions,
    whurley

--
    whurley
    +1 (512) 788-5353
    whurley@...
    whurley | Evil Genius ™
    Sounds fun! I signed up, but honestly I hate LA and dunno if I'll go cause of that. No love for San Diego eh?

On a side note, who funds these events?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Sounds fun! I signed up, but honestly I hate LA and dunno if I'll go cause of that. No love for San Diego eh?
    Actually schnoid, if you can help us find local organizers (which has to be pretty easy in that area) we can have a site up for San Diego within 10 minutes and can provide logistical support on everything from hoe to run a devCamp to where to find a venue and sponsors.

Usually these events are pretty easy to put on. We have some details on sponsorships here: preDevCamp » Sponsors

usually, everyone from local eateries wanting to get visibility to major software corps help out with space, food, and the occasional money it takes to rent projectors, etc. etc.

Please feel free to ask me any questions as I'd love to see a San Diego event pop up on the radar

l8r,
    whurley
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I only know the most very basic html that I learned from w3schools.com. I would definitely love to learn how to develop for the Pre. Is there a place for absolute n00bs to be there? Or is this only for decentely to very experienced people to attend?
    Last edited by Gerorne; 02/03/2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Is there a place for absolute n00bs to be there?
    Hell yeah. This is for everyone. We're planning on everyone participating though, so you might get put to work here and there

Seriously, this event will include developers, users, testers, everyone.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Very cool. I'm very interested then, and in the SF area. I'll keep updated through the website. Thanks for setting all this up!

7.    #7  
    My pleasure. Couldn't have done it without @Giovanni, @dancrumb and the rest of the community thought. It's all about the "we" and not the "me".
  8.    #8  
    BTW, here's the registration for SF: preDevCamp - San Francisco » Registration
    Quote Originally Posted by whurley View Post
    It's all about the "we" and not the "me".
    and the Pre. :-)

Thanks! Looking forward to it.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    and the Pre. :-)
    So true

Did you sign up yet?
    Did you sign up yet?
    Sure did. Thanks again. Should we be doing anything to prepare for the event? Will there be any "pre"-event organization or discussions?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yup, signed up! Ready to go.

...and can provide logistical support on everything from hoe to run a devCamp to where to find a venue and sponsors.
    You even provide a hoe to run the camp?!!? I'm in!!
    j/k
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  14.    #14  
    Are you planning on attending an event? Starting one maybe? If we have to get you an...uh... 'assistant' we'll do our best

Let me know if we can help you.

Hey no need to insult my hometown
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I signed up for the LA one.. Sounds like fun.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    rofl, no insult. I just mean to say ... you guys gonna organize a camp or what? lol.
    Are you planning on attending an event? Starting one maybe? If we have to get you an...uh... 'assistant' we'll do our best

Let me know if we can help you.
    If someone "else" were to host one in my town I'd probably attend just to get a feel for what it's all about. I'm not a developer, just a user.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Actually schnoid, if you can help us find local organizers (which has to be pretty easy in that area) we can have a site up for San Diego within 10 minutes and can provide logistical support on everything from hoe to run a devCamp to where to find a venue and sponsors.
    Hey thanks! I really would love to plan something in san diego, but honestly I don't think i'll have time to seek out an organizer out here. If someone else decides to take the lead on that, I'll definitely try to support them as much as I can.

Also, the only kind of web programming I usually do is Flex (with actionscript). I mostly program in Java. Hopefully I'll have an easy time coding with the mojo sdk. Can't wait to get more info on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Sorry, wasn't trying to insult your hometown, I've just been to LA enough time to not appreciate the traffic so much. I'll try to make it up there anyways, if I'm able to. Hopefully it doesn't conflict with the San Diego Mud Run on March 29.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Registered for Nashville, TN....although I really don't know much more than a little HTML, CSS, and PHP. Hopefully I can help somehow. I'd really like to learn to develop for the Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast