Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How is Sprint or Palm is going to compete with THIS anybody that thinks a June release of the Pre will suck potential Iphone renewers or potential on the fence techies then they might have to think 2 times or more
    Plenty of devices video chat now, and it hasn't caught on, and I personally don't think it ever will, even if its on the iPhone. How often do you really want the person you're talking to on the other end to actually see you? Not to mention you'd also have to either use a bluetooth headset or speakerphone in order to point the camera at you, and not everyone wants to do that.

I don't know, I am sure at some point the iPhone will be able to use its camera for video recording, and posting video to Facebook and that sort of thing, but I highly doubt a forward facing camera for video chat will ever be there.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's the general sense I had too. People don't seem to really use video chat that much as it is. It's certainly cool, but not a big deal. I think Flash would be a more welcomed feature. I hope the Pre can match the iphone in that area.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Didn't Palm specifically decline to comment about video on the Pre? Maybe...
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    video chat will be 95% lame unless they open it up to everybody (which they wont). who really would give a crap about only being able to video chat with fellow iphone users? that would only ever fly if everybody has an iphone... and even then they would all have to have new iphones that would support video chatting.
    How the hell do you video chat on an iPhone if the damn screen is on one side and the camera is on the other? Just wondering - I'm sure apple already thought of this and it may include a plugin device (another thing to suck the battery life)...
    Did anyone read the article? It said they would have a front facing video camera in order to be able to see the screen while you're conferencing. Who would want this? Every kid that you see with an iphone!

Specifically, the patent calls for such features as "video conferencing" and "digital videoing," and notes that an "optical sensor" (a.k.a., a video camera) could be "located on the front of the device so that the user's image may be obtained for videoconferencing while the user views the other video conference participants on the touch screen display,"
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    blah. I'm really not thrilled about that idea. Like others have said, the thought of people watching you wherever/whenever just doesn't feel right to me. Even if everyone had the capability on their phone, I would expect it to be a short lived toy. More features are always welcomed, but personally I'm more concerned with 1) battery life, 2) memory, 3) adobe flash support on the web browser. Do a good job on all 3 of those, and video conferencing can blow... nevermind.
    Only Apple would have the audacity to think that they could patent video calling/conferencing at this late date. Maybe they should patent the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Only Apple would have the audacity to think that they could patent video calling/conferencing at this late date. Maybe they should patent the wheel.
    Are you trying to say that apple DID NOT in fact invest the wheel!? hmph... I can't believe you would possibly say such a thing! :-P
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I would use video chat with at least some people I know, at least some of the time, it's nice seeing a face sometimes, but it would need to be easy to use, and readily available with different people on different devices. If it were iPhone to iPhone or even Pre to Pre only, then I don't care. It would be a while before it hit a decent spread anyways.
    Video conferencing can't take off in the home market (after many decades of it being around) why would it take off in the mobile market with everyone on the go. I personally don't wanna be seen holding my phone in front of my face talking to it. It was bad enough when BT headsets began catching on and I would see people who appeared to be talking to no one but the voices in their head (pun intended).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    High school students in love. They'll use it. And high school student/college students away from each other on break.

Although I still don't see it being as big a feature as flash. It certainly doesn't *hurt* the iphone, and can only help it. It'll add to its cool-ness factor, and tap into the inner fanboy in having a cool exclusive feature.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    YEY! Another battery draining feature in a device where you can't replace the battery!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    video chat will be 95% lame unless they open it up to everybody (which they wont). who really would give a crap about only being able to video chat with fellow iphone users? that would only ever fly if everybody has an iphone... and even then they would all have to have new iphones that would support video chatting.

There are nearly 20,000 iphones sold EVERY day on US ATT alone. Economies of scale are profound at those numbers. Might as well have said iTunes will fail because it only works on ipods.
    What, To see each others privates? Most people don't want to talk to each other u think there gonna wanna see each others ugly mug? Still baffles me how texting is so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    High school students in love. They'll use it. And high school student/college students away from each other on break.

Although I still don't see it being as big a feature as flash. It certainly doesn't *hurt* the iphone, and can only help it. It'll add to its cool-ness factor, and tap into the inner fanboy in having a cool exclusive feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    There are nearly 20,000 iphones sold EVERY day on US ATT alone. Economies of scale are profound at those numbers. Might as well have said iTunes will fail because it only works on ipods.
    And 22+ Million sold in ~2 years, it really is astounding that they sold that many phones.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't video calling us up a LOT of bandwidth compare to regular calls? Data transfer is expensive enough in Canada, I don't want another money sink, lol
    As I recall, a lot of European phones have video chat, but American carriers typically require phone makers to remove front-facing cameras and such because they don't want the network stress... (Notice that the European GSM Omnia has a front-facing camera, the American CDMA Omnia does not)

Of course, Apple has special influence with at&t that other phone manufacturers do not have- if they want video chat they will likely get video chat, and then act like it invented it to begin with...
    Palm T|X and Palm Centro (VZW)
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    YEY! Another battery draining feature in a device where you can't replace the battery!!
    If this is on the Pre there may not be enough power left to access the "Cloud".

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast