Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just send that person a video MMS....

Oh...my bad iPhone users...you cant!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    As I recall, a lot of European phones have video chat, but American carriers typically require phone makers to remove front-facing cameras and such because they don't want the network stress... (Notice that the European GSM Omnia has a front-facing camera, the American CDMA Omnia does not)

Of course, Apple has special influence with at&t that other phone manufacturers do not have- if they want video chat they will likely get video chat, and then act like it invented it to begin with...
    yeah but in the US the move is to push people into data because that is the only remaining growth. the market saturated and younger people don't even want landlines, when the younger people started full penetration they wanted unlimited minutes and thought nothing of paying $100 a month because they are not carrying a $40 a month landline..

You may have been shocked to find out how much younger kids use text and how much they were willing to pay. my teenage kid thought nohting of paying $30 a month extra for all his texts until I got him on my unlimited. New cultural communications needs come up with kids all the time and they pay. 15 to 30 year olds would probably not be phased at paying $10-$20 a month extra for a service like video chat.
    Video chat can only take off if many people are using it...problem is not too many phones are capable of doing this. Video chatting is popular on the internet, but that's only because the technology enabling it is readily available. In the US cell phone market there aren't any cell phones capable of video chat so if the iPhone is the only one with it, only their users will be using it and it's popularity will end there.

Of course there is the problem of video chatting over a cdma network. last I checked video is data...and cdma can't do simultaneous data and vioice. This would mean that the CDMA carriers would have to implement VOIP instead. This will take time and money. So until the time that VOIP is implemented on CDMA I really don't see a video phone taking off in the US.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Only Apple would have the audacity to think that they could patent video calling/conferencing at this late date. Maybe they should patent the wheel.
    i was thinking the same thing. Video chatinng has been aropund for a while. adn there have been other handhelds with similar technology. how could they patent this?
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    In the US cell phone market there aren't any cell phones capable of video chat so if the iPhone is the only one with it, only their users will be using it and it's popularity will end there.
    I think you mean the popularity will start there, not "end there."
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Plenty of devices video chat now, and it hasn't caught on, and I personally don't think it ever will, even if its on the iPhone. How often do you really want the person you're talking to on the other end to actually see you? Not to mention you'd also have to either use a bluetooth headset or speakerphone in order to point the camera at you, and not everyone wants to do that.

I don't know, I am sure at some point the iPhone will be able to use its camera for video recording, and posting video to Facebook and that sort of thing, but I highly doubt a forward facing camera for video chat will ever be there.
    David Pogue wrote the other day: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/te...h/05pogue.html

"When AT&T demonstrated its video telephone at the 1964 World’s Fair, everyone — including AT&T — pretty much figured that it would be the future. People wouldn’t just hear each other over the phone — they would see each other, too.

What everyone forgot, of course, was a little factor called human nature. People don’t want to be watched on the phone. You don’t want to have to make yourself presentable, to perform or to give up the freedom of multitasking. In the absence of video, you can walk around cleaning, perform small acts of personal grooming, maybe roll your eyes at a stupid comment.

And so here we are, 45 years later, still making audio-only phone calls. Not because of technological limits, but human ones."
    Very much agreed. "Social" Networking these days is moving AWAY from direct interaction like video chat, not toward it. Lots of people prefer texting, Twittering, Facebooking, or MMS to making a phone call and having a conversation.

Apple is free to put their eggs in that basket, but AT&T's network is already feeling the strain with lengthy data outages. Between human nature and the technical limits of that creaky data backbone, I think this would be a serious mistake, if not outright disaster.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12