Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    They still do sell Centros
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrumback View Post
    When I first saw the Pre there was a major WOW factor. But, the more I've read, and thought about it, the less I like the Pre. I have been using PalmOS from their introduction, the original Palm Pilot. And there are things I love about the PalmOS. Palm discarded PalmOS in favor of the WebOS, not a selling point for me. I've had people at cell phone shops try to sell me new phones to replace my 700P. And my first question is, "What OS does it run?" When they say Windows or Crackberry they get told to put it back in the case.

Another major issue for me is syncing. I use Palm Desktop as my address book, calendar and notepad on my PC. Push a little button and any changes made on my PC or 700P are swapped to the other. I also use programs like Docs To Go and Ultrasoft Money. I know that DTG can read native MSWord docs with no conversion. So, on the Pre you will probably just drag and drop tem back and forth just like a thumbdrive. However, Ultrasoft Money has to do some conversions on my MSMoney file. Now, somebody might write a money program for WebOS that can read the MSMoney without conversion. And hopefully, I won't have to buy new software for my PC as well. I use MSMoney 2001, yes quite a few years old, but it does everything I want so why spend the money on a new version. But, even if these software developers can create programs to read the native PC files. Now I have to drag and drop multiple files from multiple folders. Plus, if my wife adds something in MSMoney while I am not home and I add something on the Treo, it all gets matched up when I sync. Drag and drop will overwrite, not append, so I have to enter the same data twice. That kind of defeats the purpose.

No Garnet support is also a major drawback. I have a few apps that I would not easily give up. One is a great little program called KarKare. It keeps track of my cars maintenace and fuel mileage. I have five years worth of data in that. And since my commute requires 2 fill ups a week, that is about 500 entries for gas alone that I am not going to re-enter in a new app. And, having to buy an emulator (if anyone writes one) just to use my apps is, at best, irritating.

The last is the lack of External memory. I use BackupBuddy religiously. I don't have a PC at work so if I crash my phone there, goodbye data until I get home. Again, not something I am going to willingly give up.

Now, these are my personal needs and wants. I know that not everyone needs what I do. But for me the Pre is going to be passed over.
    I take it that you don't like change, huh?
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    I was hoping that there'd be a palm emulator so that I could continue to use a few apps, but as long as there are equivalent apps available, I'd consider it. However, no external memory and not GSM are deal breakers for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    For a way to glitch free transfer their lifetime of Palm Desktop data to this new platform.
    Heh. To be honest, I had a hard enough time getting my data from my first PalmOS device to my current one over the several generations of devices. Though it stayed in the same family (all PalmOS, whether the device was Palm, Sony, Handspring, or Palm again), several transitions were anything but glitch-free.
  5. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrumback
    my first question is, "What OS does it run?" When they say Windows or Crackberry they get told to put it back in the case.
    Nice to be so open minded. Actually, if you'd rather have speed and productivity over useless eye candy, BBOS (especially 4.6 on the Curve and Bold) has much of "Zen" that came with PalmOS, and in many ways, its far better, even without a touch screen. For my business phone, I actually prefer it now to WM and Symbian. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

No Garnet support is also a major drawback. I have a few apps that I would not easily give up. One is a great little program called KarKare. It keeps track of my cars maintenace and fuel mileage. I have five years worth of data in that. And since my commute requires 2 fill ups a week, that is about 500 entries for gas alone that I am not going to re-enter in a new app. And, having to buy an emulator (if anyone writes one) just to use my apps is, at best, irritating.
    Umm, that's what the text export option is for. It makes your data portable so you're not locked into one application or OS. Just look for an equivalent app that has a text import option, massage the data format in Excel to suit, and bingo, in goes your 5 years' data.

I'm still keeping cool on the Pre though. My main concern is how functional it will be if you don't want to store your info in someone else's cloud. I suspect not very.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    I take it that you don't like change, huh?
    Change should not be done for the sake of change - it's a strategy to accomplish some overall goal.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    Nice to be so open minded. Actually, if you'd rather have speed and productivity over useless eye candy, BBOS (especially 4.6 on the Curve and Bold) has much of "Zen" that came with PalmOS, and in many ways, its far better, even without a touch screen.
    From an admin standpoint, Blackberries are really well designed for their main PIM purposes. Even with the occasional server glitches, they handle that much better than Hotsync ever did. Beyond PIMs the Blackberry goes downhill quickly.

It should be noted that even though nearly every Blackberry doesn't have a touchscreen, they DID find it crucial to include a flash memory slot in all their models.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678