Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    I applaud Palm for what they are doing.

gbrumback,
    you need to update your signature from "Dedicated Palm User" to "Dedicated PalmOS User" since you clearly disagree with Palm's current direction.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Its not dying for me, only getting bigger! My biggest problem is going to figure out if im going to wait for VZW to get it or switch to Sprint.
    Yeah, I'm with you there. If I had some assurance that V would get it in six months...I'll snag a Centro for now if I have to to get by. If it's a year or never....I don't even want to think about that. I've only met one or two ever who loved Sprint and would stay or go back. No one else. And only those around NY...
    I have read all these threads, absorbed all the known specs, seen the videos etc. You know what I discovered? I am actually more excitied now for this phone. I can't say I will certainly buy it, but it is the most interesting phone comming down the pipe to me.

Frankly, I was in the same boat as the original poster, clinging on to old hardware, just not buying the hype of other features that I didn't think I needed. But now things are different - I may not need location based services, but now I want it. I may not need a better mobile browsing experience, but now I want it. I may not need a super swanky looking phone, but... I want to again have a phone that is cutting edge.

I think Palm is not abandoning its roots at all. I think they are doing want they orginaly did - and that is innovate. I will be the first to admit, I rang the Palm death knell after the Centro came out, as I saw that as the direction Palm was going to go - just offering cheap, low feature smartphones to the masses, essentilly becoming an also-ran in samrtphone inovation. I can't tell you how happy I am to be proven incorrect.

I had very low expectations for CES, despite some rumblings Palm was going to pull a rabbit out of it's hat. After, I was blown away. And as I said every scrap or nugget of info I get makes me more excited, despite myself.

Is it perfect? No. Is there going to be a compromise? Certainly. Is it going to be the phone I get. Maybe, unless I see something spectaclar from the Android camp. Will I be dumping my ancient hardware , and even more ancient software in favor of some flavor of "newness?" Absolutely.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Remember Palm is starting fresh from the ground up with a whole new OS. You can't honestly say that you love getting those crashes and not being able to multi-task on your PalmOs. I was tired of those things and went ahead and got a BB Curve, but there is this feeling that I keep having that I wish it had the Palm OS. I still love my 650 and 700p till this day. I'm glad and proud of what Palm is currently doing, but I don't expect WebOS to come w/ every nook & cranny available out the gate. Every OS needs time to mature and have something to look forward to.

Wether you decide to start fresh with another OS; be it iPhone, BB, WinMo you're going to have to go through the same process all over again. I won't be surprised to see using a WebOs phone in a year or two. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrumback View Post
    It's not the fact that it is not a Treo. It's not a Palm. I just can't believe that Palm basically threw everything that made their devices popular for over a decade and threw it in the trash.

Now, are all Treo and Palm users going to be crushed by this radical change, no. But is a good segment of their market going to be uspet by it, I would bet yes.

It really stinks that, if the rumors I have read here are true, I won't even be able to buy a new PalmOS device in the future. I would have gone back to carrying a PDA and a regular cell phone just to keep the OS if I had to. I did that for years, I could have done it again.
    uh, have you looked at their popularity before the Pre was announced? Without this new OS, no one was willing to give them any cash. However innovative POS may have been, sticking to the same technology for a decade will cause the exact opposite of popularity and head straight to bankruptcy which I'm still surprised Palm didn't.

It seems as if the OP didn't realize that the Pre was running WebOS only and not POS til now. There are some people who never want changes, but I'm glad they're in the very few minority.
    Wow waned rather quickly for me.
    I am excited about the Device, it's just not for me right now.

Top 3 my wants:
    Add an Sd micro slot, back off a little on data dependency,
    and give me either an onscreen or static kb.
    Just call me Berd.
    Palm saw the writing on the wall when they knew how dominant other OS's became on the market. They knew that they had to come up with something new and fresh because at the current trend - they obviously weren't going to catch up to RIM etc. They knew the risks/consequences of putting PalmOS to rest with still so many followers - but hey that's why we're here writing about them not the other way around. They now have the funds to start fresh and are hoping to make loyal Palm fans jump to the next OS with them AND gain new marketshare from RIM and other competitors. Sure I'll miss my old PalmOS apps. But it's a good time for something fresh and new.

I work for a healthcare company programming their electronic health records system and always used to hear the complaints from doctors who didn't want to leave the ways of paper and older legacy systems, but eventually they came around and not only came to enjoy the new system but feel great about being part of something new where they can contribute new ideas to constantly improve it.
    Anyone remember how Apple's OS 9 and below was different and had a certain appeal to a small demographic of users? Then they scrapped the old OS and rebuilt OSX from the ground up and look where they are at now. Palm OS was old and outdated. Sure it worked but times are changing. We live in a high speed, mobile, Web 2.0+ connected world. WebOS is an attempt to adapt to this. Palm OS didn't stand a chance in it's current state. Palm OS is dead pure and simple. Adapt my friends.
    It's not the fact that it is not a Treo. It's not a Palm. I just can't believe that Palm basically threw everything that made their devices popular for over a decade and threw it in the trash.

Now, are all Treo and Palm users going to be crushed by this radical change, no. But is a good segment of their market going to be uspet by it, I would bet yes.

It really stinks that, if the rumors I have read here are true, I won't even be able to buy a new PalmOS device in the future. I would have gone back to carrying a PDA and a regular cell phone just to keep the OS if I had to. I did that for years, I could have done it again.
    Wait.....you have a device that is REALLY more palm like than the original Palm OS. If you step back and look at it, this device really follows Palm's philosophy perfectly. you said they threw away everything that made their devices so popular.......really?
    It makes me wonder what made Palm so popular:
    Was it graphics quality? not really
    Was it sound quality and capabilities? naw
    How about games? Nope
    Was Syncing alone the reason it was so popular? I don't think so.
    Was it taking all of your information with you? Oh yeah...bingo.
    How about organizing your stuff on the run? That too.
    What about providing an excellent communication device? Hmmmm....

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but the things you mentioned in your original post are things that I think most users like but are not really what made Palm popular.
    I would like this to compare this to video games. Everytime a next-gen console comes out EVERYONE cries about it being backward compatible with their older games. It's a deal breaker for so many at the initial launch of the console.

Funny thing is, studies show that 99.99% of console buyers do not play their older games regularly. 93% didn't even bother popping an older game into their system at all.

Backward compatibility may be an issue, but if you had the phone RIGHT NOW, you probably wouldn't mess with those apps too much. Just my thoughts. No one wants to port DOS apps to Vista anymore. : )
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I would like this to compare this to video games. Everytime a next-gen console comes out EVERYONE cries about it being backward compatible with their older games. It's a deal breaker for so many at the initial launch of the console.

Funny thing is, studies show that 99.99% of console buyers do not play their older games regularly. 93% didn't even bother popping an older game into their system at all.

Backward compatibility may be an issue, but if you had the phone RIGHT NOW, you probably wouldn't mess with those apps too much. Just my thoughts. No one wants to port DOS apps to Vista anymore. : )
    interesting, Mr. Goat.
    I tried running kings quest under vista............
    hee heee hee
    Haw! Now that's old school.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    interesting, Mr. Goat.
    hee heee hee
    I bet you can run it as a Web app on WebOS.

For example:
    ... 404 Error: Now what??? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    interesting, Mr. Goat.
    hee heee hee
    liked that game
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    No Garnet support is also a major drawback. I have a few apps that I would not easily give up. One is a great little program called KarKare. It keeps track of my cars maintenace and fuel mileage. I have five years worth of data in that. And since my commute requires 2 fill ups a week, that is about 500 entries for gas alone that I am not going to re-enter in a new app.
    I use KarKare, too. It's a great little app, and cheap too. I have about 8 years of data in mine, but I'm going to grab either the Pre or the iPhone as soon as I can. I'm not going to let a $10, 11-year old app dictate what platform I use, especially if it makes the rest of my life easier. What about my great little KarKare? I'll put the existing data on my old LifeDrive, or just export it to a text file on my PC for reference. I'll start entering the new data into a new app. The iPhone app store has quite a few that blow KarKare away. Hopefully, the Pre will get some cool new ones, too.

(hmm ... maybe I'll write one -- anybody wanna buy a new webOS car maintenance tracking app?)
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by epz3 View Post
    Anyone remember how Apple's OS 9 and below was different and had a certain appeal to a small demographic of users? Then they scrapped the old OS and rebuilt OSX from the ground up and look where they are at now. Palm OS was old and outdated. Sure it worked but times are changing. We live in a high speed, mobile, Web 2.0+ connected world. WebOS is an attempt to adapt to this. Palm OS didn't stand a chance in it's current state. Palm OS is dead pure and simple. Adapt my friends.
    Rosetta --

perhaps you've never heard of it.

It allowed a soft transition to the new OS for "a small demographic of users" -- you know, Apple computer owners...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    kings quest? man try finding a way to play my 5.25" disc copy o f Oregon Trails on Vista
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    kings quest? man try finding a way to play my 5.25" disc copy o f Oregon Trails on Vista
    This one? Virtual Apple 2 - Online disk archive -- Oregon Trail

(No, it won't work on the Pre because its Java, not Javascript, but it'll work on Vista. )

Another major issue for me is syncing. I use Palm Desktop as my address book, calendar and notepad on my PC. Push a little button and any changes made on my PC or 700P are swapped to the other. ...Now I have to drag and drop multiple files from multiple folders. Plus, if my wife adds something in MSMoney while I am not home and I add something on the Treo, it all gets matched up when I sync. Drag and drop will overwrite, not append, so I have to enter the same data twice. That kind of defeats the purpose.

No Garnet support is also a major drawback. I have a few apps that I would not easily give up. One is a great little program called KarKare. It keeps track of my cars maintenace and fuel mileage. I have five years worth of data in that. And since my commute requires 2 fill ups a week, that is about 500 entries for gas alone that I am not going to re-enter in a new app. And, having to buy an emulator (if anyone writes one) just to use my apps is, at best, irritating.

The last is the lack of External memory. I use BackupBuddy religiously. I don't have a PC at work so if I crash my phone there, goodbye data until I get home. Again, not something I am going to willingly give up.

Now, these are my personal needs and wants. I know that not everyone needs what I do. But for me the Pre is going to be passed over.
    most folks in this forum dissagree with you gbrumback.

They are all here loudly swearing their fervent oaths of devotion to the Pre -- sight unseen.

For them all the shiny new apps, the new fangled ways of syncing their data -- its all so fresh and exciting !!!

Most folk are not going to want to migrate all their old data and contacts. Probably 80% of the american audience for the Pre will be satisfied as its configured out of the box.

But maybe 20% of Palm loyalists may not be. They may hold back waiting for their programs to be ported to or rewritten for, the new OS.

For a way to glitch free transfer their lifetime of Palm Desktop data to this new platform.

These are folks who could have been brought into the Pre tent at little cost or effort, folks who could have made an important contribution to making Palm's launch of the Pre the cataclystmic smash success that Palm, Elevation Partners, (and Sprint) want.

And which they have bet everything on, that it will be.
    Last edited by BARYE; 02/20/2009 at 07:40 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast