Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I am very bored, got nothing to go on....
    Need SOMETHING to go on. PLEASE gimme some news, PLEASE :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Ok, I'll make up some news...

So I heard from this guy that knew this other guy that knew some high level person at sprint that the Pre was supposed to come out next month. So there u go. Take it or leave it. ;-)
    Until I'm sure that this thing won't keep me from my precious free internet streaming content, I'll probably stick with my 755p. Once I see a Kinoma-like solution on the Pre, then I'll be more willing to make the jump.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Just wait one more day for the conference call. That'll be something to talk about.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    @Shnoid,

Crap, I hope you're not gonna get into any trouble with your friends friend ect.... ;-)

Thanks a mil.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Until I'm sure that this thing won't keep me from my precious free internet streaming content, I'll probably stick with my 755p. Once I see a Kinoma-like solution on the Pre, then I'll be more willing to make the jump.
    Pandora will hold me over till something more ptunes and kinoma like comes out.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    That's cause most keep checking the forums consistently for updates
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    For people to be excited over a phone (because it may be a hobby of some sort) and express it, then to have someone pass judgement ("Fanboz", err yeah) is a superior attitude approach.

You aren't better than us. If you don't share the same feelings, I think it's sometimes better to just not sling insults.
    Insult?

How is being called a fanboz an insult?

We hang out on a treo site... we are all fanboz... or either idiots... no one with good sense would hang out on a site looking for information and not be a fanboy... I think you are reading my posts wrong or are highly sensitive. LOL

I could think of better names to insult someone anyway. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Ok, I'll make up some news...
    I heard that the pre blew up while someone was on the phone... it made a mushroom cloud, and big crater.

The US Army is investigating... Sprint issued a statement that they are not sure when the Pre will be released.

Palm stated they are investigating, but a ROM update should fix the issue.

Seriously... it is on CNN...

I don't care... I'm still going to buy one... I KNEW this thing would blow me away!!!!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    When I first saw the Pre there was a major WOW factor. But, the more I've read, and thought about it, the less I like the Pre. I have been using PalmOS from their introduction, the original Palm Pilot. And there are things I love about the PalmOS. Palm discarded PalmOS in favor of the WebOS, not a selling point for me. I've had people at cell phone shops try to sell me new phones to replace my 700P. And my first question is, "What OS does it run?" When they say Windows or Crackberry they get told to put it back in the case.

Another major issue for me is syncing. I use Palm Desktop as my address book, calendar and notepad on my PC. Push a little button and any changes made on my PC or 700P are swapped to the other. I also use programs like Docs To Go and Ultrasoft Money. I know that DTG can read native MSWord docs with no conversion. So, on the Pre you will probably just drag and drop tem back and forth just like a thumbdrive. However, Ultrasoft Money has to do some conversions on my MSMoney file. Now, somebody might write a money program for WebOS that can read the MSMoney without conversion. And hopefully, I won't have to buy new software for my PC as well. I use MSMoney 2001, yes quite a few years old, but it does everything I want so why spend the money on a new version. But, even if these software developers can create programs to read the native PC files. Now I have to drag and drop multiple files from multiple folders. Plus, if my wife adds something in MSMoney while I am not home and I add something on the Treo, it all gets matched up when I sync. Drag and drop will overwrite, not append, so I have to enter the same data twice. That kind of defeats the purpose.

No Garnet support is also a major drawback. I have a few apps that I would not easily give up. One is a great little program called KarKare. It keeps track of my cars maintenace and fuel mileage. I have five years worth of data in that. And since my commute requires 2 fill ups a week, that is about 500 entries for gas alone that I am not going to re-enter in a new app. And, having to buy an emulator (if anyone writes one) just to use my apps is, at best, irritating.

The last is the lack of External memory. I use BackupBuddy religiously. I don't have a PC at work so if I crash my phone there, goodbye data until I get home. Again, not something I am going to willingly give up.

Now, these are my personal needs and wants. I know that not everyone needs what I do. But for me the Pre is going to be passed over.
    Dedicated Palm User
    Palm Pre
    Palm Treo 700P - retired
    Palm Treo 600 - retired
    Palm M515 - retired
    Palm V - retired
    Palm Pilot Professional - retired
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrumback View Post
    When I first saw the Pre there was a major WOW factor. But, the more I've read, and thought about it, the less I like the Pre. I have been using PalmOS from their introduction, the original Palm Pilot. And there are things I love about the PalmOS. Palm discarded PalmOS in favor of the WebOS, not a selling point for me. I've had people at cell phone shops try to sell me new phones to replace my 700P. And my first question is, "What OS does it run?" When they say Windows or Crackberry they get told to put it back in the case.

Another major issue for me is syncing. I use Palm Desktop as my address book, calendar and notepad on my PC. Push a little button and any changes made on my PC or 700P are swapped to the other. I also use programs like Docs To Go and Ultrasoft Money. I know that DTG can read native MSWord docs with no conversion. So, on the Pre you will probably just drag and drop tem back and forth just like a thumbdrive. However, Ultrasoft Money has to do some conversions on my MSMoney file. Now, somebody might write a money program for WebOS that can read the MSMoney without conversion. And hopefully, I won't have to buy new software for my PC as well. I use MSMoney 2001, yes quite a few years old, but it does everything I want so why spend the money on a new version. But, even if these software developers can create programs to read the native PC files. Now I have to drag and drop multiple files from multiple folders. Plus, if my wife adds something in MSMoney while I am not home and I add something on the Treo, it all gets matched up when I sync. Drag and drop will overwrite, not append, so I have to enter the same data twice. That kind of defeats the purpose.

No Garnet support is also a major drawback. I have a few apps that I would not easily give up. One is a great little program called KarKare. It keeps track of my cars maintenace and fuel mileage. I have five years worth of data in that. And since my commute requires 2 fill ups a week, that is about 500 entries for gas alone that I am not going to re-enter in a new app. And, having to buy an emulator (if anyone writes one) just to use my apps is, at best, irritating.

The last is the lack of External memory. I use BackupBuddy religiously. I don't have a PC at work so if I crash my phone there, goodbye data until I get home. Again, not something I am going to willingly give up.

Now, these are my personal needs and wants. I know that not everyone needs what I do. But for me the Pre is going to be passed over.
    Good luck. Nothing like clinging to old technology. When your phone and computer finally die, you're going to be screwed because you didn't take the time to at least keep pace.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    And the moral of the story here is that if the Palm Pre was available for sale, say, a week after the CES launch, this exact same thread would have been posted by the same person at the exact same time except they'd have returned it within the 30 day window.

Buddy, you're one with the PalmOS. No new device or new OS from any manufacturer is going to work for you. Buy up every new Treo 755p you can get your hands on and keep em in a temperature-controlled environment so you have spares on hand.

just don't buy it... that's easy
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    I don't understand how anyone can make a judgment on a phone that isn't even out yet.
    I'd give it a shot before going back to Palm OS.
    Hey, I wish the Pre supported my Slingbox right off the bat, not being able to use it for a while is going to be tough but the Pre looks so amazing, I'll get by.
    You should wait until ALL the details have come out, basically wait until the phone is released. See what it does and what it doesn't do
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    You should wait until ALL the details have come out, basically wait until the phone is released. See what it does and what it doesn't do
    There's no need to wait. The most important detail already came out: It's not a Treo running PalmOS.

Problem solved. Not sure why the OP didn't get this sooner, but better late than never.
    Aaaah... another dedicated Ultrasoft Money user....

If nothing else, I hope there will be an Ultrasoft Money (or similar) app for the Pre.

- mvk
    Well, let's be nice or else this may as well be crackberry...but many of us still love our Palm desktop apps and hate Outlook...so we're all going to face this migration problem. Bigger for me is that it's so easy to make changes to contacts on my computer since I'm sitting here, and want to continue being able to do that. So it has to go somewhere...is Google going to become the defacto standard for non-Outlook folk? Or will someone create a snych between Palm desktop and WebOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There's no need to wait. The most important detail already came out: It's not a Treo running PalmOS.

Problem solved. Not sure why the OP didn't get this sooner, but better late than never.
    It's not the fact that it is not a Treo. It's not a Palm. I just can't believe that Palm basically threw everything that made their devices popular for over a decade and threw it in the trash.

Now, are all Treo and Palm users going to be crushed by this radical change, no. But is a good segment of their market going to be uspet by it, I would bet yes.

It really stinks that, if the rumors I have read here are true, I won't even be able to buy a new PalmOS device in the future. I would have gone back to carrying a PDA and a regular cell phone just to keep the OS if I had to. I did that for years, I could have done it again.
    Dedicated Palm User
    Palm Pre
    Palm Treo 700P - retired
    Palm Treo 600 - retired
    Palm M515 - retired
    Palm V - retired
    Palm Pilot Professional - retired
    It's not the fact that it is not a Treo. It's not a Palm. I just can't believe that Palm basically threw everything that made their devices popular for over a decade and threw it in the trash.
    Have you noticed where that popularity level was at BEFORE the Pre was announced? Maybe that explains their starting anew?

Now, are all Treo and Palm users going to be crushed by this radical change, no. But is a good segment of their market going to be uspet by it, I would bet yes.
    And given that the excitement over Pre and WebOS in 30 days has dwarfed the excitement over Palm OS in the past several YEARS, I'm unsure why this would matter?

It really stinks that, if the rumors I have read here are true, I won't even be able to buy a new PalmOS device in the future. I would have gone back to carrying a PDA and a regular cell phone just to keep the OS if I had to. I did that for years, I could have done it again.
    So companies should be compelled to never retire a product line no matter how unprofitable it is to keep it alive? Interesting...
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast