Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Sorry this is very misleading. The Instinct and Pre launch were nearly identical.
    The Pre has yet to launch, so this is ridiculous on its face. Still, I will be happy to respond.

The marketing of the Instinct and Pre, which set for the next six months by 90% by Sprint, not Palm) are nearly identical and very different than other devices.
    Again...kind of hard to do when the Pre has yet to be marketed aside from a website that looked nothing like the Instinct web site which was laden with "Instinct vs. iPhone videos". Is the iPhone even mentioned or pictured on Palm's website? But maybe you live in the future or something.

Instinct: Announced publicly about four months prior launch
    PRe: announced publicly about four months prior launch

Instinct: takes "Best in show" by voting at top industry conference (CTIA)
    Pre: takes "Best in show" by voting at top industry conference (CTIA)
    Wow...the resemblance is uncanny. Scary how much those two handsets are identical.

Instinct: Tied to iphone from minute by sellers and their PRPRPR $people$
    Pre: Tied to iphone from minute by sellers and their PRPRPR $people$
    Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Again, the only "official" marketing of the Pre has been the keynote speech and website. All of which are focused on the Pre, not the iPhone. The Instinct was the exact opposite. But do continue...

Instinct: compared by Sprint to the iphone
    Pre: compared by Sprint to the iphone
    Pfft. Show me the "Pre vs. iPhone" videos.

WTF, LOL! Sprint announced a $100 to $200 million TV, Print and web camping to compare Instinct to the iPhone. They announced $100 million in TV as iphone killer at CTIA itself.

Yes they canceled it and backtracked, but because they found out the new iphone was to be announced a few months later. That was my point.
    Aside from the $100 million dollar amount, the rest of this is cheap speculation. Not only that...it's inaccurate in that Sprint continued to target iPhone 3G during and after its launch with their Web videos. They didn't "cancel" or "backtrack" anything.

Meanwhile, no dollar amount has been mentioned for the Pre. No angle of advertising has been mentioned for the Pre. Not even the ratio of Palm vs. Sprint advertising. But again...you live in the future.

You are confused entirely. HTC deosnt make the Pre hardware! Do you read any trade pronunciation for all of your claims?
    Actually, I put what's called a question mark at the end of that sentence, but I'm genuinely curious...who does make the Pre hardware?
    Last edited by mikah912; 02/04/2009 at 02:09 PM.
    Except Palm is spinning all over that it is up against the iphone. Have you seen the scores of notes on the Pre int eh financial press, the Palm people are always pushing the comparision.

McNamee is trying publicly to change a message that he and his people already cemented in the minds of the critical publics including the press and markets. It is a kind of damage control
    Rubinstein said the following at launch: “Our intention was never to build an iPhone killer but to build a killer Palm product.”

McNamee says it's not an iPhone killer.

I can't find Ed Colligan saying any such thing.

You have quotes of these scores of notes? I mean, Rubinstein was pretty clear on launch day itself. If anyone or anything is errant, it's the "scores of notes."
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If you look how they always word it, they always avoid directly answering if they want it to do better than the iphone. It's obvious that they do. It's just that they also believe they don't necessarily need that to happen to still be successful.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So their flacks spinning iphone comparisons to hundreds of reporters means nothing if Rubinstein edged back! LOL. Same happened with Instinct. Iphone killer, oops, not iphone killer.
    Wow...the resemblance is uncanny. Scary how much those two handsets are identical.
    You don;t get it. handsets are not defined by specs. they are defined by CATEGORY position and marketing.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Again, the only "official" marketing of the Pre has been the keynote speech and website. All of which are focused on the Pre, not the iPhone.
    Same as Instinct at first. Officially nothing, the PRPRPR $people$ $spinning$ $like$ $crazy$ $about$ $trumping$ $iphone$. $Their$ $first$ $target$ $was$ $the$ $markets$. $they$ $had$ $to$ $emphasize$ $it$ $against$ $the$ $iPhone$ $and$ $did$.

Aside from the $100 million dollar amount, the rest of this is cheap speculation.
    $100 million is cheap? These were major topics covered in adweek. It is acase history in adverting pullback and bad timing.

Actually, I put what's called a question mark at the end of that sentence, but I'm genuinely curious...who does make the Pre hardware?
    The CM contract was announced about five months ago under a cover of a Palm WM. you missed it. It is in our archives at Treo central
  6. joelpalm
    Of course it loses its newness, just like anything else, just like the christmas toy your kid no longer plays with. But the Pre does look promising, wait and see.
    By the time a GSM version comes out, I'll be onto my next Blackberry, and probably the one after that as well.

This is one of the pitfalls we talked about before the unveiling. Taking too long to get the device on store shelves after announcing it. Unless the early reviews re-ignite the fire for the Pre, it could be in trouble. Passé before it gets to the public.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    But it's only new to us. A small percentage of who they're hoping will buy it.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    But it's only new to us. A small percentage of who they're hoping will buy it.
    True that. It's all too easy to fall into the trap of generalizing and taking the folks 'round these forums as the target audience. We're definitely the minority, the small band of phone geeks and techies. Probably 95% of the people still don't know Palm is making a new device.
    Many, unlike TCers, will have just seen a passing mention of the Pre at the CES and forgotten all about it. The secret to success will be the marketing effort at and around the release date.

Unfortunately, with nothing new, the same old opinions are getting regurgitated.
  11. joelpalm
    I am a pretty tech saavy guy and I try to keep up with the latest MAJOR devices and I didn't find out about the Pre until after I started looking at the Palm Treo Pro.
    I was at a Sprint kiosk at the local mall more than 2 weeks after CES. I started fooling with the 800w and the salesman got excited. I said I was waiting for the Palm Pre. He said I've never heard of that one.

I think that's most people's reaction. It's barely even news to the "fat middle" -- so it can't be old news. Ask someone you know who has a cellphone but who is not keenly interested in them. See if they've heard of it. And if so what they've heard. I also think most people don't even know what CES is.

I may be wrong, but I think most people are a whole lot less interested in this than we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    I was at a Sprint kiosk at the local mall more than 2 weeks after CES. I started fooling with the 800w and the salesman got excited. I said I was waiting for the Palm Pre. He said I've never heard of that one.

I think that's most people's reaction. It's barely even news to the "fat middle" -- so it can't be old news. Ask someone you know who has a cellphone but who is not keenly interested in them. See if they've heard of it. And if so what they've heard. I also think most people don't even know what CES is.

I may be wrong, but I think most people are a whole lot less interested in this than we are.
    I think I would agree that most people aren't aware of the Pre right now, but thats the same as most phones. If the Pre really turns out to be as good as we expect, I'm sure it'll end up being THE phone to get. Just like iphones and blackberrys have been over the past few years. Good looking phone + good functions + good interface + good features + good third party apps = GREAT SUCCESS!
    With this new rumor of a March 15th release date, I'm hoping Palm is playing it smart with Apple - let Apple and the rest of the world believe it has until May/June to make a case against the Pre, and surprise them with an early release. It's a stretch though...
    So their flacks spinning iphone comparisons to hundreds of reporters means nothing if Rubinstein edged back! LOL. Same happened with Instinct. Iphone killer, oops, not iphone killer.
    Are you aware of linear time? Rubinstein said it at "launch", meaning the zero point or origin. These "flacks", who you still have yet to quote, could only have made their comments afterward.

I would laugh at you too, but someone this clearly confused is more pitiful than funny.
    You don;t get it. handsets are not defined by specs. they are defined by CATEGORY position and marketing.
    And categories are greatly defined by specs. Hey, look....we didn't go anywhere.

Same as Instinct at first. Officially nothing, the PRPRPR $people$ $spinning$ $like$ $crazy$ $about$ $trumping$ $iphone$. $Their$ $first$ $target$ $was$ $the$ $markets$. $they$ $had$ $to$ $emphasize$ $it$ $against$ $the$ $iPhone$ $and$ $did$.
    So again...you, being in the future, know that Palm "will" emphasize the Pre against iPhone because they "have" to, thus proving that the Pre launch - which has yet to happen - will be exactly like the Instinct one.

Can you tell me what the "Pre vs. iPhone" commercials look like, o future seer? Also, the winning numbers for MegaMillions on Friday?

$100 million is cheap? These were major topics covered in adweek. It is acase history in adverting pullback and bad timing.
    That you offer no substantiation of whatsoever in this thread.
    This is moderately entertaining, but clearly going nowhere. Can't we all just get along.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    This is moderately entertaining, but clearly going nowhere. Can't we all just get along.
    naaa ... not very entertaining ....
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I have to agree, the Pre is loosing the initial WOW factor *but* that doesn't make it any less impressive. However, now that it is announced, Sprint and Palm I think would be better off rolling the Pre out ASAP (no waiting to unload 755 stock, etc) as you know the competitors will be trying to copy if not improve upon the design. Not to mention, Apple will fight to stay on top through their new design (announcement in June probably) and might even try to leverage their patents against Palm.

I think it would be better if they had help off the announcement till a month in advance and slowly released information to build excitment and then launch ASAP - excite both the developers and potential end-users at the same time... and do it before the competitors can react!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    I don't get the sense that Sprint is waiting for 755 handsets to sell out BEFORE launching the Pre. There can't be THAT much 755 inventory sitting around, and they've already dropped the price to $99. Plus, there are no real plan requirements attached to a 755 so that ARPU or whatever figure Hesse likes to quote is pretty paltry here. We're talking a miniscule-to-moderate amount of profit to be made by clearing those out at best.

Meanwhile, the Pre will move people to costlier plans, and the penetration rate of Sprint services like Navigation and TV will increase exponentially. If greed is any sort of primary motivator (and it should be at some level, as they have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders), then it only makes sense for them to prioritize getting the Pre in customers' hands as soon as is humanly possible over all else.

So I don't see them waiting too long after the 3/15 in-stock date. They've got to get them out to stores and get enough inventory for a decent launch, which may take a a few weeks. In the interim, they could very well be selling them on a piecemeal basis to Sprint Premier customers through telesales. Who knows?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast