Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I find this hilarious. No insult intended, but the idea of buying a new phone just because it's "exciting" strikes me as infantile. I'll buy the device that best meets the uses I need to put the device to.

Palm said "in the first half of the year." Palm said there may be some changes to the form factor. Palm clearly hasn't finished the SDK. Anyone who expected / expects it nearly immediately was / is fooling themselves.

If you have the level of patience of the typical two-year old, then go buy something else. If you really think the Pre is going to be the shizzle, then act like an adult and wait. Your world isn't going to end if you keep using the same phone for another 2, 3, or even 4 months.

As for the wait, I'm willing to bet Palm would have preferred to wait until later to announce the Pre, but they needed an event that would generate a lot of buzz, and CES is that event.

It doesn't really matter what other makers come out with in the meantime, unless there's something none of us can guess at that blow the Pre away. There will always be new devices being unveiled, and customers coming off of their commitments. If 10,000 people buy an Andriod phone instead of waiting for a Pre, they'll be 10,000 more coming off contract when the Pre is released. What DOES matter is that Palm and Sprint need to make sure this phone is READY. Releasing something that's full of bugs will be the death of Palm, and maybe Sprint. The last thing either needs is thousands of early adopters returning the Pre for a refund, and blasting the blogosphere with critical reviews.
    To start off saying no insult intended and then to call people (namely me) infantile is childish in its own right. When you critique someones opinions (which there is nothing wrong with) with harsh words, then there is offense intended. You've done that several times in other threads, you claim no offense but then act like that will absolve you from offending as much as possible. You don't get a "get out of jail free" card when you preface statements and diatribes.

Anyway... You are a fool to think initial excitement and WoW doesn't sell. And you're a bigger fool to think letting said excitement pass by isn't a big deal (i.e. Ask Sony about the Xperia).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    If it isn't ready, that is one thing... but by not releasing a SDK and more video of PRE capabilities, it's just allowing precious time and hype to pass it by.

Case in point, the new thunder today is the Toshiba TG01. It's slick... VERY slick.
    Wow! I checked out that TG01 and it looks awesome! 4.1" screen! Honestly, like the iphone i think it will be a little big for me and with the lack of keyboard that would be a deal breaker, but combining that with android seems like a winning combination for all the iphone peeps. I agree that there is some crazy competition coming out in the next few months! The Pre looks awesome, but they definitely need to stay on their toes.

I also agree that releasing the SDK will be a HUGE step in the right direction. Everyone knows that third party apps are whats going to make or break the Pre, and the longer they wait, the longer developers will focus on developing for the iphone and android. I would really love to see a beta version of the SDK out ASAP. Unless there is some major problem with it, I think its reasonable to release it with the condition that developers must update to the latest SDK before submitting their app.

EDIT: oh, and did anyone notice that the TG01 has microSD? LoL... a phone THAT thin can have microSD, but somehow palm can't fit a microSD slot into the Pre. Tell me that's not ridiculous.
    Last edited by schnoid; 02/03/2009 at 12:41 PM.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Downer View Post
    I'd say its a fairly normal reaction for the "Wow" factor to diminish somewhat over time. The announcement was great, and phone looks even better, but in the time between then and release, the world keeps turning. We sit back and realize that while awesome, the Pre isn't going to be the "phone to end all phones". It'll be awesome, thats for sure, but nothing we couldn't live without if forced to.

I suggest just relaxing a bit, and waiting patiently as the excitement level will inevitably jump back up with the next announcement.
    I have no doubt in my mind this is the exact situation I am describing... I am more worried for Palm that waiting too long for future information (not even a release... or release date) will really hurt them in terms of market attention. Although I am sure IP talk will keep the ball rolling for a good whiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Wow! I checked out that TG01 and it looks awesome! 4.1" screen! Honestly, like the iphone i think it will be a little big for me and with the lack of keyboard that would be a deal breaker, but combining that with android seems like a winning combination for all the iphone peeps. I agree that there is some crazy competition coming out in the next few months! The Pre looks awesome, but they definitely need to stay on their toes.
    The TG01 has one of the most unresponsive screens I have seen on a touchscreen in ages. There's video of it over at SlashGear, and tap after tap goes unnoticed, while swipes get a laggy TouchFLO cube imitation. Changing the OS to Android wouldn't help much with hardware that poorly implemented.

I also agree that releasing the SDK will be a HUGE step in the right direction. Everyone knows that third party apps are whats going to make or break the Pre, and the longer they wait, the longer developers will focus on developing for the iphone and android. I would really love to see a beta version of the SDK out ASAP. Unless there is some major problem with it, I think its reasonable to release it with the condition that developers must update to the latest SDK before submitting their app.
    I agree. Palm should have this happening sooner rather than later.

EDIT: oh, and did anyone notice that the TG01 has microSD? LoL... a phone THAT thin can have microSD, but somehow palm can't fit a microSD slot into the Pre. Tell me that's not ridiculous.
    Where's the onboard storage, tho? Where's the capacitive screen? Where's the keyboard? You're comparing apples to oranges.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The TG01 has one of the most unresponsive screens I have seen on a touchscreen in ages. There's video of it over at SlashGear, and tap after tap goes unnoticed, while swipes get a laggy TouchFLO cube imitation. Changing the OS to Android wouldn't help much with hardware that poorly implemented.
    I saw the same issues with LAG and Unresponsiveness with the PRE in several videos myself. I don't know if they will be worked on the TG01, but I hope that it is with the PRE.
    Where's the onboard storage, tho? Where's the capacitive screen? Where's the keyboard? You're comparing apples to oranges.
    yea, you're right about that. I just quickly checked it out, and it seemed really cool. Who knows if they could pack all the stuff the pre will have into that kind of package. Regarding microSD though I still think Palm could have fit it, if it fit into their marketing plans.
    I saw the same issues with LAG and Unresponsiveness with the PRE in several videos myself. I don't know if they will be worked on the TG01, but I hope that it is with the PRE.
    Ok...you link to the worst Pre video you can find, and I'll link to the SlashGear one, and let's let people here decide which version of beta OS and hardware is worse off. It's not even close.

The only area where the Pre has been unresponsive in any video I've seen is in the tap+hold+swipe up gesture to bring that quick launcher onscreen inside an app, which could be user error as much as anything else. And clicking the button gets you to the launcher much faster while keeping your app live anyway. Meanwhile, in the Toshiba video, just getting the time to display on the main screen took several taps before anything happened, and screen transitions lagged WAY behind the Pre.
  8.    #28  
    Ok...you link to the worst Pre video you can find, and I'll link to the SlashGear one, and let's let people here decide which version of beta OS and hardware is worse off. It's not even close.

The only area where the Pre has been unresponsive in any video I've seen is in the tap+hold+swipe up gesture to bring that quick launcher onscreen inside an app, which could be user error as much as anything else. And clicking the button gets you to the launcher much faster while keeping your app live anyway. Meanwhile, in the Toshiba video, just getting the time to display on the main screen took several taps before anything happened, and screen transitions lagged WAY behind the Pre.

Oh I haven't watched the Slashgear video yet, at work and it's blocked from YouTube... however, there was one video in particular that stood out. There was a female Palm rep (black woman I believe) who just couldn't work the damn Pre or it was unresponsive. I'd like to think Palm used people who knew what the hell they were doing tho??? Only your biggest product launch EVER... yano. Again, the unresponsiveness/lag on the Pre is minimal at best, all devices have their flaws though.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I find this hilarious. No insult intended, but the idea of buying a new phone just because it's "exciting" strikes me as infantile. I'll buy the device that best meets the uses I need to put the device to.

Palm said "in the first half of the year." Palm said there may be some changes to the form factor. Palm clearly hasn't finished the SDK. Anyone who expected / expects it nearly immediately was / is fooling themselves.

If you have the level of patience of the typical two-year old, then go buy something else. If you really think the Pre is going to be the shizzle, then act like an adult and wait. Your world isn't going to end if you keep using the same phone for another 2, 3, or even 4 months.

As for the wait, I'm willing to bet Palm would have preferred to wait until later to announce the Pre, but they needed an event that would generate a lot of buzz, and CES is that event.

It doesn't really matter what other makers come out with in the meantime, unless there's something none of us can guess at that blow the Pre away. There will always be new devices being unveiled, and customers coming off of their commitments. If 10,000 people buy an Andriod phone instead of waiting for a Pre, they'll be 10,000 more coming off contract when the Pre is released. What DOES matter is that Palm and Sprint need to make sure this phone is READY. Releasing something that's full of bugs will be the death of Palm, and maybe Sprint. The last thing either needs is thousands of early adopters returning the Pre for a refund, and blasting the blogosphere with critical reviews.

AMEN! You should be a preacher. While I'm excited and want the phone now, I'm willing to wait till they are ready. They said first half of 2009. That means on or before June(maximum wait of 4 months). come on, thats not that long.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Oh I haven't watched the Slashgear video yet, at work and it's blocked from YouTube... however, there was one video in particular that stood out. There was a female Palm rep (black woman I believe) who just couldn't work the damn Pre or it was unresponsive. I'd like to think Palm used people who knew what the hell they were doing tho??? Only your biggest product launch EVER... yano. Again, the unresponsiveness/lag on the Pre is minimal at best, all devices have their flaws though.
    I think she was nervous. She was tapping all over the screen at times seeming not really sure of what she was trying to do or where she was trying to get to. That Pre never stood a chance with her. Even my PC runs slow if I try to launch 3 applications at once.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    AMEN! You should be a preacher. While I'm excited and want the phone now, I'm willing to wait till they are ready. They said first half of 2009. That means on or before June(maximum wait of 4 months). come on, thats not that long.
    I think most of us would agree that June isn't that long to wait, but seriously, NOW is when we're all talking about it. With no new info there really isn't anything to talk about other than rumors, which for me just get annoying. At the very least they need to get the 3rd party developers excited and going! An SDK is critical to be released immediately! Leaking a little more information here or there can't hurt either.
    Last edited by schnoid; 02/03/2009 at 02:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I think most of us would agree that June isn't that long to wait, but seriously, NOW is when we're all talking about it. With no new info there really isn't anything to talk about other than rumors, which for me just get annoying. At the very least they need to get the 3rd party developers excited and going! An SDK is critical to be released immediately! Leaking a little more information here or there can hurt either.
    I can agree with that
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Leaking a little more information here or there can hurt either.
    You mean couldn't hurt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Schmid View Post
    We are kinda building our own hype and anticipation. "A watched pot never boils..." We are a just starring at that "pot of water" and want to see some dern bubbles.
    Yep

But Palm put the Pot on the stove.
    And We've been without something good to eat for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Schmid View Post
    Most important...Pre needs to come out before the next incarnation of the iPhone or a G2 or another carrier's Android phone. Time is of the essence, but they will not be losing too many future sales when there is nothing new or press-worthy hitting the market.

With all that said the hole that Palm and Sprint are in will get deeperthe longer they wait. But, the phone must be ready when it is released. If it comes out functioning like the BB Storm -- top them off with shovels of dirt.

Enough metaphors for now... :-)
    Exactly,

Palm put the Pot on the Stove to keep us in anticipation for what's Cooking.

I think they had to tell us dinner was close to ready, otherwise we might go someplace else to eat.

But they also know that if they give us our eggs all runny, we prolly won't eat there again.

Metaphor Overdose.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    You mean couldn't hurt?
    Thanks, corrected ;-)
    ...It doesn't really matter what other makers come out with in the meantime.
    I have to disagree with you strongly on your statement that it doesn't matter what other makers come out with in the meantime.

I feel that the Pre's success is going to have everything to do with what other manufacturers do or DO NOT come out with in the next few months. For example, are you really going to shell out 200 bucks for a Pre and switch to an inferior carrier to get Location Based Reminders if the new iPhone software will do the same thing in a month or two? Or how about a physical keyboard? Or a new development environment with a web based platform?

My intent is not to speculate on what will or won't happen, but to illustrate what a big difference something like that can make on the Pre's appeal. Remember that Palm can't afford to sell a few thousand of these devices, they need hundreds of thousands, if not millions for it to be a success. They've cashed in all their chips on the Pre and if it's not going to be an equal rival to the iPhone you may want to turn in your Palm stocks asap.

I'm no Microsoft fan, but they've proven time and time again that timing is of utmost importance in technology. Do they have the most stable products in the industry... the prettiest... the most funtional? By no means... by they are ruthlessly strategic in timing product releases before the competition or out-marketing them. If you want to kill the competition, it's all about hype and timing. Hype that Palm seems to be losing, only a little, but hopefully their timing will still be fast enough.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway...
    Last edited by beeno7; 02/03/2009 at 02:55 PM.
    The longer I wait, the more I appreciate my centro and all the things it does. it really does just about everything I need out of a smartphone. I really like the form factor. Don;t get me wrong I'm excited about the Pre, but I'll have to see just how much I like a slider phone.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by beeno7 View Post
    I have to disagree with you strongly on your statement that it doesn't matter what other makers come out with in the meantime.

I feel that the Pre's success is going to have everything to do with what other manufacturers do or DO NOT come out with in the next few months. For example, are you really going to shell out 200 bucks for a Pre and switch to an inferior carrier to get Location Based Reminders if the new iPhone software will do the same thing in a month or two? Or how about a physical keyboard? Or a new development environment with a web based platform?
    You think Apple is going to attach a keyboard to the iPhone or completely revamp the OS to a new architecture when it'd have to remain compatible with thousands of apps using the old one? Really?

I'm no Microsoft fan, but they've proven time and time again that timing is of utmost importance in technology. Do they have the most stable products in the industry... the prettiest... the most funtional? By no means... by they are ruthlessly strategic in timing product releases before the competition or out-marketing them.
    You mean like how they "outmarketed" Apple's Bill Gates-parodying commercials that made PCs look relentlessly uncool with their oh-so-successful "I'm a PC" campaign?

Or how Windows Mobile "outmarketed" or "out-timed" their competition....er...ever?

Or how they cemented Vista's reputation as a turkey with their "Mojave Experiment" commercials that blamed the consumer and their stupidity for Vista's rep?

Or how the Zune has been a failure, and Windows is losing marketshare, and Windows Mobile is losing marketshare, and they're slashing thousands of jobs while Apple is rock steady and climbing?

THAT Microsoft?

If you want to kill the competition, it's all about hype and timing. Hype that Palm seems to be losing, only a little, but hopefully their timing will still be fast enough.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway...
    Losing to what? Every tech blog posts the smallest bit of news or non-news about the Pre. Meanwhile, the latest screenshots of Windows Mobile 6.5 have been greeted with universal derision.
    SDK will not be out before the phone, programmers would tear the SDK apart if they had the docs out before the phone did. I see the SDK coming out either at the same time as the Pre or with in 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    SDK will not be out before the phone, programmers would tear the SDK apart if they had the docs out before the phone did. I see the SDK coming out either at the same time as the Pre or with in 6 months.
    I'm not sure if I understand your comment. Are you saying that if programmers have complaints about the SDK that would make the phone less desirable? First off, I am very confident that no matter what features the SDK will have, some people will complain. I prefer Java personally, but other programmers will prefer other languages. People that know Javascript or basic web languages will be likely be thrilled about the SDK and those of us that would prefer a bit of lower level functionality will be disappointed. We already have some idea of what to expect, but we're definitely hoping that Palm will work with developers to eventually open it up.

Second, if the SDK doesn't come out earlier than the phone or at the same time at the very latest, I expect a major backlash from the developer community. Just look how fast apple had to change its tune when they announced they would not open up the iphone to 3rd party developers. Yes, they eventually recovered from that, but I think not having 3rd party apps played a huge role in the way apple had to almost immediately drop the price and apologize to its customers. Palm i'm sure has seen that and knows better.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast