Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Just curious - I've never actually owned a dedicated music player... Why is it that people consider the 650-Centro line (functionally identical as far as I'm concerned... how many years did Palm waste re-packaging the same phone... sorry - got sidetracked there ) to be poor media players?

With Ptunes, you can play music in the background. True, it does skip occasionally, but with only a dedicated device, you can't do anything in the background. Battery life isn't the greatest, and the headphone jack is definitely a hassle... I'm glad they're finally getting around to fixing it. But PTunes plays music, TCPMP plays video, Kinoma somewhat plays YouTube, SD gets you storage up to 16GB, maybe more later... What is it that people are looking for in a media device that wasn't in the old Palm phones?
    The tiny screen is what always prevented me from using it for video.

But I've always used my smartphones as my sole music player, it's so much more convenient than multiple devices to charge and to carry with me all the time. That way, when I'm working, I use my phone for music while commuting there on public transportation, and then when I get to work I just put the headphones away and don't have anything to leave at my desk where someone might take it or to carry in my pockets all day getting in the way. If I'm traveling via airplane and am going through security, I don't want to have multiple devices in every pocket for each need, I just need my laptop, phone, and suitcase.

I think the only things people who don't use it for music have against it are lack of storage space and battery life - as in if you're also using your phone for business, you don't want to have used all of the battery playing music.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Same here. Always has been my sole device. I was excited by the Treo 650 so I wouldn't have to carry around my LG phone and T|T5. I only needed to bring one device. I wasn't about to get an ipod and bring it back to two devices again.

But the 650 also didn't come with PocketTunes back then. It came with the inferior RealPlayer. Neither did it come with TCPMP and it took a lot of work to find it, and figure out how to maximize the small card size. A lot of work. 2GB SD cards were only just about to come out when I got my 650 as well, and were expensive (for me).
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Actually PTunes has worked pretty well for me. Not to mention I get to add and remove songs very quickly. I think that the video player is really bad. At least to me on my Palm Treo 700p. Terrible resolution. But again when it comes to the music (even with Sprint's software) I have a small amount of problems.
    I have to say, the only time I had issues was when I got the 650, it came with Real Player which sucked to me. P-Tunes took care of that and then TCPMP helped with videos. After upgrading to the 700 and then the 755, during that time I was working 12 hr shifts 7p-7a, and at night I would watch movies on it. It did a damn good job of doing movies. I always wished that it had a bigger screen, but I got by with what it had. When I would go to the gym, I would listen to P-Tunes and stream music online and would always have a great selection of music to listen too. I never had 1 problem with P-Tunes, or TCPMP at all. I'm going to miss P-Tunes and TCPMP on the Pre with that nice screen size.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I believe most most average users consider as poor media devices because they are not able to put their media files easily enough like iTunes sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I believe most most average users consider as poor media devices because they are not able to put their media files easily enough like iTunes sync.
    Yeah, I agree. Palm has done some very poor PRPRPR $on$ $the$ $Treo$'$s$. $I$ $hope$ $like$ $hell$ $they$ $do$ $better$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I always felt that PalmOS did much better in the media department as compared to WM and Symbian. Also, there is a wide variety of sofware to choose from. iPhone is probably considered better, if only because that was its USP.
    agree. It can do musics / vidoe well. Just doesn't have th iTunes like companion.

Always wondered why they did get down w/ the Zune musics stroe (was it Urge?) and use a Zune like player on there winMo phones.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    -I don't care for any of the interfaces of the various media software that's available.

-I don't like using an adapter for my headphones

-The card capacity is limited. Even if you can use more than 4gb, the idea that it doesn' read it all properly.

-The screen is small.

-It's also not as easy to use blindly as a dedicated player with dedicated buttons since the screen is so small and the touchscreen buttons are even smaller. The Pre with the larger screen should be more functional.

The zune music store has come a long way and is now recognized as being a plus rather than a minus. They have the whole unlimited rental type plan that actually allows you to own so many songs a month so that if you stop paying for the service you have been able to grow your personal library.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    The Napster application does let you do iTunes-style sync with pTunes. I've NEVER seen that advertised, but it works pretty well. And it's a free download - you don't have to pay for the Napster service to use it.

Also, on the Centro at least, the hardware buttons work with pTunes. The side button stops and starts playing, the volume buttons adjust the volume, you can assign a button to bring pTunes to the front when it's in the background, and when it's in the front, left and right on the d-pad let you go forward and backward in the playlist. I don't know if the older phones (or maybe older versions of pTunes) can do this - it's something I just discovered recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    agree. It can do musics / vidoe well. Just doesn't have th iTunes like companion.

Always wondered why they did get down w/ the Zune musics stroe (was it Urge?) and use a Zune like player on there winMo phones.
    This argument doesn't sound true... no?
    I'd have to say a major reason is battery life. You're charging your phone at the end of every day with average use. Using it as a media device? Charging 2x isn't fun.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    1. The small memory card capacity.

2. The 2.5mm jack

3. I need to save my battery for Chattermail (it only lasts about 24 hours).

4. I suspect that the OS is pushed to its limits just running Chatter in the background.
    Bleh I have no reason to use my phone as an mp3/movie player. I usually only use my ipod nano when I work out. Treo 680 is to bulky for that IMO. I want the Pre not for it's mp3/movie abilities but for it's nerd factor. Maybe i'll play a short video clip or two while I'm out and about or make mp3 ringtones for it but other than that I like my music players to be separate.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Helio came out with their own desktop software for playing music and transferring files. It was actually pretty darn good. I have a similar one for my Creative Zen. There's nothing magical about iTunes except the interface to the online store. I bet Palm could come out with a similar desktop application that allows you to manage all the MP3s and videos you download from Amazon and sync them between your desktop and your Pre.

Altough, as an alternative, I would prefer it if Amazon hosted the music. That way, I could go through my library on my Pre and mark a checkbox for the songs I want resident on the Pre and have it transfer files either on the fly or when it is being charged at night. Or maybe there will be a way to do that with a home server.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Even if you can use more than 4gb, the idea that it doesn' read it all properly.
    Not sure what you're referring to here, I've used microSDHC cards forever with absolutely not issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    3. I need to save my battery for Chattermail (it only lasts about 24 hours).

4. I suspect that the OS is pushed to its limits just running Chatter in the background.
    I always had Chatter running in the background syncing 2 IMAP accounts and one Exchange account myself, and never had any issues with playing music with pTunes in the background as well, though I know others with the 700p did before some of the updates.

As for battery life, I don't know about you, but I sleep 6-8 hours every night, so my phone only needs to last 16-18 hours anyway. Though I never had a Centro, I probably wouldn't have ever lasted on the Centro.

And everyone is complaining about the 2.5mm adapter... its a little annoying, yes, but honestly, attach it to your headphones, and then you can forget its even there.

Oh, and another thing people dislike, syncing. Another thing that wasn't advertised all that much was that pTunes syncs very easily with Windows Media Player, for the 85% of people who have a PC. (Completely made up that statistic )
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    For videos I dislike the small screen, for audio, I really don't like when it skips (it just bothers me a lot) in the background, and my resource load on my Centro is already pretty heavy from Chatter (4 IMAP accounts, 1 Exchange account with 2 weeks of email about 215 messages at this moment), and VersaMail Exchange Sync. Also, I like being able to watch a video and simultaneously check email that comes in.

The one place where I do use pTunes for audio regularly is on an airplane (I find it hides nicely during takeoff and landing, plus I don't have to worry about the multi-tasking aspect during that time).
    I use my 700p all the time for streaming podcasts. Occasionally, I will play stored music on my 2GB card. It multi-tasks (pTunes...Kinoma doesnt, which sucks) and like others have pointed out, there are external buttons that you can use to control some functions. Not the best, but doable as a convergence device.
    The main thing that prevented my from using my 650, 700p,700wx, and 800w was the lack of a 3.5mm port. I started using BT headphones with the 700wx and 800w, but the reception issues and poor sound quality encourage me to just grab my ipod and call it a day. If my 800w had a 3.5mm slot, I'd rather take that to the gym than have to take my iPod and my phone too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast