Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I am a long-time lurker who will definitely be getting the Pre. It seems there are several people on this board who have some pretty in-depth programing knowledge and thought I might get an answer to my question.

Using a device as a USB Mass Storage Device is good, but requires a cord. Since the Pre has WiFi and is Linux based would there be any technical reason why someone couldn't develop a program to make the internal storage, or part of it, show up as a Network Share? And/or could the Pre browse a network to have access to a shared folder? Any chance this will be built in (I know it is just speculation an this point, but oh well) ?

It seems simpler to me, rather than looking for the most recent cord I misplaced, to walk into my office, automatically connect to my WiFi and transfer pictures, music, videos, backups, programs, etc. from folder to folder over the network connection with either a mapped drive or just browsing to a spot on the Pre with a File browser like FileZ (\\Pre\Internal Storage\Music).
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Well you could easily have it show up as a network share if it's connected to a windows pc...

Theoretically you could do the same with the pre via wi-fi + samba runing on the pre, but that would require Palm opening up the pre 's underlying system to developers
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Since the Pre will look like a USB drive to the PC/Mac, it would be simple to do the file transfers from the PC/Mac side.

That would be a good location for the backup software.

I'm not up on connecting via WiFi.

How does the Pre look to a desktop over WiFi?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I've seen some reports that Samba works on the G1 by way of Debian, so it's certainly not an impossibility - but Palm will have to open up the phone more than they seem to be willing to.
    To continue_ why can't we browse shares over wifi. That would be super nice for file transfer.
    They'll open it up. They can barely handle the bug reports coming in on the "closed" phone. Once it gets opened, we'll find millions of ways to "break" stuff.
    I think it may be possible for Palm to implement a "Samba mode", but I think you'd have to explicitly turn it on and off on the phone, and when it was on you wouldn't be able to do anything else. It looks like the device shuts down the user interface now when in USB drive or media sync mode, probably to avoid having both the PC and the apps on the device try to access and modify the files at the same time.
    If I have my pre on my home wireless network I can see the Pre on the network from my windows computer in Windows File Explorer. It shows up with an icon that sort of looks like a white hard disk and a label of 'Unknown Device'.
    I just want to access a file share on a pc to copy media to my phone
    I do know that Macs can see & mount the palm drive over the network just like any other shared drive via usb (as long as you enable the "slave" Mac to do so in the Sharing Preferences pane).

But to make the Palm totally independent & access it over WiFi, someone would have to figure out how to ssh into it.
    Because the PC looks at the PRE as a HD, I decided to defrag it. Seems things got alittle snappier on my PRE afterwards.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I didn't see this posted anywhere so for those who hate FTPing in and out and rather drag and drop, i went ahead and got Samba running on my Pre if anyone else is interested in doing so here is the method.

1.Root the Pre
    2.Remount the system
    Code:
     mount -o remount,rw /
    3. Switch to /tmp
    4. Run the following commands.
    Code:
    /opt/bin/ipkg update
    /opt/bin/ipkg install samba
    5. Configure /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf with the following config
    Code:
    ## Samba 3.2 Conf
    ## Last edit @ June 17th 2009
    ## for the Palm Pre (Phrozen)

[global]
    	workgroup = WORKGROUP
    	server string = Palm Pre w/ Samba Baby!!
    	interfaces = eth0, lo
    	bind interfaces only = yes
    	security = user 
    	encrypt password = yes
    	smb passwd file = /opt/etc/samba/smbpasswd 
    	socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
    	guest account = nobody
    	log file = /opt/var/samba/log.%m
    	max log size = 10
    	config file = /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf
    	hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24, localhost
            ##You may have to adjust for your local network	
    [ROOT]
    	comment = Root of it all
    	path = /
    	guest ok = no
    	writable = yes
    	username = *USERNAME*@

[PUBLIC]
    	comment = Temp folder
    	path = /tmp
    	force group = users
    	read only = yes
    	guest ok = yes
    	browseable = yes
    *USERNAME* is something you'll have to figure what you want to use, i had a hard time getting /etc/passwd working so i did my own thing to fix the issue, this will only allow samba to run local or over wifi.

7. Run the following command
    Code:
    /opt/bin/smbpasswd -a *USERNAME*
    8. Edit /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba so that it says samba_active=1
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# set samba_active=1 to activate samba
    samba_active=1
    9. run /opt/etc/init.d/S08samba

And now you should be able to browse your phone from your network.
    I need to figure out why the security is being a pain, and maybe do a startup script but without the phone on the charger samba becomes useless cause it will never have eth0 running all the time.
    Last edited by Phrozen; 06/18/2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Cleaned up some of the instructions
    ^You beat me to it! Nice.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    Because the PC looks at the PRE as a HD, I decided to defrag it. Seems things got alittle snappier on my PRE afterwards.

IGO
    defragging a SSD drive (which the pre more or less has) is pointless and will wear out the memory faster for no reason.

This isn't a hard drive where having the information close together keeps the read/write head from moving a lot, saving time. In flash memory, it accesses it just as fast, no matter where it is stored in memory.

Flash memory also can only be written to so many times. This is nothing to be alarmed about because the number of writes is very high, but defragging would write and re write A LOT for no reason, slightly lowering its life.

Any increase in speed you saw was either a coincidence, or didn't actually happen. Sorry.
    very sweet fix rooting the pre. I need to root mine tonight
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    To continue_ why can't we browse shares over wifi. That would be super nice for file transfer.
    I agree. That would be awesome!
    What kind of throughput are you seeing?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    thanks for all your work

have you had a chance to work on a startup script? that would be great
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrozen View Post
    <snip>
    I still can't get onto the Pre with samba after using your excellent work. It shows up in the network but just times out when I try to connect. Is there any IP stuff special to my Pre I need to do?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Here are some startup scripts which should do the trick. They're basically just rips of the OpenSSH event scripts.

/etc/event.d/optware-smbd:

Code:
    description "Samba SMB Daemon for WebOS"
    author "P. Douglas Reeder, based on script by Dax Kelson"
    version 1.0

# don't start until the WebOS finishes it's normal boot 
    # that way no delay is added to the GUI startup
    start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

# don't try to log any output
    console none

# Uncomment to make sure SSH sessions don't slow down GUI use
    nice 5

# Restart the SSH daemon if it exits/dies
    respawn

# -D doesn't detach and become daemon
    exec /opt/sbin/smbd

pre-start script
         # Add firewall rule to allow Samba access over WiFi
         # Remove the "-i eth0" on both of the following lines to enable SSH access
         # over the cellular data network (EVDO, etc).
         /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT || /bin/true
         /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT || /bin/true
         /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT || /bin/true
         /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 138 -j ACCEPT || /bin/true

/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
         /usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 138 -j ACCEPT
         /usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
         /usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT
    end script

# end of file
    /etc/event.d/optware-nmbd

Code:
    description "Samba NMB Daemon for WebOS"
    author "P. Douglas Reeder, based on script by Dax Kelson"
    version 1.0

# don't start until the WebOS finishes it's normal boot 
    # that way no delay is added to the GUI startup
    start on started optware-smbd