Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I still can't get onto the Pre with samba after using your excellent work. It shows up in the network but just times out when I try to connect. Is there any IP stuff special to my Pre I need to do?
    Double check your hosts allow in /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf. The example above is specific to a 192.168.1.xxx network.
    I've put in the Pre's IP address in the conf file.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    They'll open it up. They can barely handle the bug reports coming in on the "closed" phone. Once it gets opened, we'll find millions of ways to "break" stuff.
    Right and you kbow they can barely handle bug reports because ofcourse you work there right..
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I sure do wish I knew what you guys were talking about because it sounds cool as hell! I don't even know what "root" means. SMH. Oh well, I guess I can deal with having the dumbest of the smartest smartphones.
    FYI, this is working wonderfully for me now. In order to gain write access to /media/internal, I had to edit fstab and add umask=000 to the mount options. Slightly insecure, but samba is password protected so it isn't too bad.
    I think you would be better served by samba2, as it has less (possibly signicant) overhead. samba2 is also in optware.
    hey guys, can this be done as a 'non-rooted' method. I would love not to have to plug in the usb cable all the time.

I've seen some developers make some stuff for us that are not able or willing to 'root' the Pre.

I have sucessfully install the Tip Calculator.

So is there a way to make this Network available using the non-root method.

Please!

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    hey guys, can this be done as a 'non-rooted' method. I would love not to have to plug in the usb cable all the time.

I've seen some developers make some stuff for us that are not able or willing to 'root' the Pre.

I have sucessfully install the Tip Calculator.

So is there a way to make this Network available using the non-root method.

Please!

Thanks!

Rob

Nope, not right now.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    FWIW I just got Samba2 running and it works great. I read on the PreDevWiki that using Samba (v3) was causing audio to go out. I didn't verify that, but since v3 had many opt package dependencies and I know that v3 is a much larger beast and I don't need the v3 features for this application, I tried v2. It works great and I am listening to Pandora while its running so I am assuming I don't have the "audio doesn't work" issue that was described on PreDevWiki. I gotta get some work done now, but I'll post a recipe later. I basically installed the ipkg-opt package, added iptables rules, edited smb.conf and manually started it up. I only made the portion of the "disk" that is visible via USB, visible through samba. And XP sees it beautifully.

Now I can sync Bonsai on my desktop to Bonsai running in Classic via file sync over the network!!
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I still can't get onto the Pre with samba after using your excellent work. It shows up in the network but just times out when I try to connect. Is there any IP stuff special to my Pre I need to do?
    This is the problem I'm having too. My network is already 192.168.1.x as defined in the conf file but it's still not connecting. Any ideas or updated on this hack?

I can ping my Pre's ip just fine.

edit:] Fixed it. Turns out my router had a firewall built in that blocks Samba. I'm using DD-WRT and disabling "SPI Firewall" fixed it right up.
    Last edited by gage006; 09/07/2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Say you're coming from a Linux box. Any reason to prefer to have the Pre export via Samba vs. NFS vs. something else? Which is better at handling intermittently-connected filesystems?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    Say you're coming from a Linux box. Any reason to prefer to have the Pre export via Samba vs. NFS vs. something else? Which is better at handling intermittently-connected filesystems?
    I haven't touched NFS under Linux, but seem to recall that the NFS server component under some versions of Unix required NFS to be built into the kernel. Same thing for the NFS client for that matter. Samba's server can run as a user-mode process.

Although recent versions of NFS have migrated to TCP as a transport, the original design goal of NFS was to be "stateless" and work via UDP. That would seem to make NFS a better candidate for handling intermittent connections, but I'm having flashbacks of a certain Unix SVR4 implementation locking up for days in an infinite retry loop if an NFS-mounted connection went away without being un-mounted.....
    Ok. I have samba sucessfully up and running on my pre. I can see my pre from all 3 of my boxes on my wifi network. I can use ssh & smbclient from my NAS to connect to the pre, and smbclient from my pre to connect to my NAS (and all 3 other boxes). All is well in my network.

What I am having difficulty with, which is strange, because I know it's rather simple and I have done it countless times before on various other systems is: mounting a samba share from my NAS to a directory on my pre (my intention is that after said mounting I would then be able to browse the network share via "internalz").

Does anyone know if the pre comes w/ the required libraries etc. to mount a samba share?

If not, then I might just have to break down and code a samba share browser for WebOS.... any help greatly appriciated.

-- Anti
    Ok, well I figured it out on my own. thanks for the help.

'mount.cifs //_servername_/_sharefoldername_ /_mountpoint_ -o username=_username_,password=_password_'

replace items wrapped in '_' w/ your respective information and, viola. Hope this helps someone who was looking to do exactly what I have just done.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I had the same issue with my Pre 2 (2.1.0) and the optware samba2 (not 3), smbclient connects to my xp and win7 pc shares but using the commands 'mount -t smbfs ...' and 'mount -t cifs ...' just did not work.
    This posting using 'mount.cifs ...' instead does work. Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12