View Poll Results: How will you use your [Pre]?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Half MP3 Player/Video Player. Half Everything else.

56 46.67%
  • I had a dedicated device for my multimedia needs. Just for the everything else.

7 5.83%
  • A minimal amount of multimedia. Mostly for everything else.

50 41.67%
  • I have no idea at this moment.

7 5.83%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    lurking on this forum. Seriously I was unaware of this based on the fact that your phone already has less of a battery life than most mp3 players. I didn't know it was a big deal but maybe I am living in a technology stone age. Personally when I first got a phone that had external storage I stored music on my phone but being a big audiophile I prefer a separate device for my needs. That way I keep my battery in tact on my cell, and my music constantly playing. Is there anyone who will be using their Pre for minimal music use like myself?
    Laravia,
    The pre is pitched as a convergence device. I am circumspect on the battery, it is a difficult compromise given the empahis on form factor. But the competition is iPhone, which with everyone I know does replace their ipod. That is why Palm pitches Pre as a convergence device with the implicit replacement of your mp3 player.
    I don't watch movies.
    I don't care about high quality music -
    I listen mostly to mp3 books.

I don't want to be dependent on always having internet or wifi access.

I want a convergence device.
    It doesn't need to do all features great, just enough so I don't have to carry anything else with me.

1st as a Phone
    2nd as a Pda
    3rd as Media Player.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    But the competition is iPhone, which with everyone I know does replace their ipod. That is why Palm pitches Pre as a convergence device with the implicit replacement of your mp3 player.
    "Everyone you know" has iPod nanos, then? Because the iPhone can't "fully" replace any standard iPod sold since 2004 (20GB and up).
    I think it all depends on your view of converged device.
    The Pre is NOT being pitched as a converged device in the conventional sense. It is being pitched as a converged device for your data. "Data" is in dispute....so.......

Personally, I can't imagine using a phone as a media device. A Smartphone will never be as capable as even a mediocre media player. I mean, I guess some folks are happy with flash based devices and thats fine. Smartphones just ask for too much compromise in my opinion. I wouldn't even think of asking the Pre to be real media device - for me. But thats just me. Some folks are fine with the compromises of a smart phone. And there will likely always be compromises.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    "Everyone you know" has iPod nanos, then? Because the iPhone can't "fully" replace any standard iPod sold since 2004 (20GB and up).
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

1st as a Phone
    2nd as a Pda
    3rd as Media Player.
    Pretty much...maybe swap 1 and 2 for me and make 3 a distant 3rd
    I can't say it replaces a video device that I have because I don't have one, but my 700p with TCPMP is good enough for those times when I am waiting for something or the kids are in the back seat for too long.

As for mp3's, I hope this does a better job than the 700p, but I'm not the kind of person that is going to carry around another device just for music, so it's got to do it if I'm going to buy it.
    First off, the poll is really limited. I'd guess that a vast majority of us on the forums would not quite say that it would be "half" media player, but we would definitely like to put aside our zunes and ipods and use the Pre as a convenient media player replacement for those times when you don't want to carry a phone AND mp3 player.

I really like what berdinkerdickle said:

1st as a Phone
    2nd as a Pda
    3rd as Media Player.
    I think that sums it up for many of us. Does that make it 1/3 media player? I honestly would not notice a difference between my zune and the Palm Pre in terms of sound. For functionality, it seems it'll be similar if not better, and for battery life, well... I'm gonna have to keep an eye on that, and possibly carry a second battery at times when I don't have a charger with me.

As for your title, "I had no idea so many people used their phones as mp3/video players until...", the answer is NO you didn't realize it cause it wasn't true before. I rarely use my current Treo 755p as an mp3 player. Why? Because it's not good at it! It doesn't have multitasking and I need an adapter for my standard headphones. The Pre will solve both of those issues and will likely have a nice clean interface for playing music/video. That will completely change things for me.
    Last edited by schnoid; 02/02/2009 at 05:35 PM.
  10.    #10  
    ^^

I didn't mean to leave the poll as limited as I did but I also didn't want to leave a whole bunch of options where people would get confused as well. Maybe I should have put an "other" option?

As for your title, "I had no idea so many people used their phones as mp3/video players until...", the answer is NO you didn't realize it cause it wasn't true before. I rarely use my current Treo 755p as an mp3 player. Why? Because it's not good at it! It doesn't have multitasking and I need an adapter for my standard headphones. The Pre will solve both of those issues and will likely have a nice clean interface for playing music/video. That will completely change things for me.
    I think my habits are going to change as well. Especially since my current player no longer has the space that I desire/need. If this phone does what I want on the multimedia side I might change my mind and use it as my makeshift player. From what I've seen in the videos, it looks like this phone will be revolutionary.
    I want a convergence device.
    It doesn't need to do all features great, just enough so I don't have to carry anything else with me.

1st as a Phone
    2nd as a Pda
    3rd as Media Player.

Exactly what I think
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    I have an iPod touch for all my movie/music needs. I will be using the Pre for my podcasts and hopefully audible needs .
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The Pre should have had 250gb
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yup, video is a big deal. Regardless of what's enough memory for someone, it got to me why some posters would just scoff at the idea of watching video on a smartphone.

TCPMP is a loved program for a reason. YouTube was a big deal for the iPhone for a reason. And if the Pre isn't able to support flash, and the iphone gets it and can announce the iphone can stream Hulu in the middle of the Pre marketing blitz, that is going to be a big deal.

I was hoping it was going to be the other way around.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    1. Get news, weather, and visit a few other sites.
    2. check E-mail
    3. Games
    4. RPN calculator
    5. Listen to music
    6. Slingbox to catch a few shows
    7. watch movies and clips
    8. Read books
    9. GPS mapping

Even though music and video is a small part of what I use my 700p for it could be the make/break issue for me with the Pre.
    I have about 20 songs on my Centro which I listen to on weekends. I plan to add more.

I don't any videos on it.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    It's amazing the minute someone says they need more than 8 gigs for their media, people assume we want to have our entire collections on the Pre when it's clearly not the case.

One thing Palm showcased was its multimedia capabilities. When I saw that, I wasn't thinking Zune 80gb replacement. I was thinking replacement for my Fuze and D2 for most functions outside of running or paddling. I also thought for work I could keep more technique videos and pdf's. I figured I'd do more Office document based stuff. Why? because the screen is a lot nicer as is the GUI. And I was assuming they'd have a card slot on it to give me enough room to do all that (obviously before it was shown it won't have one). Since I'm hardly home and don't always want to break out the laptop, it's all a matter of convenience. Also with the ability to use it as a mass storage drive, I can keep files on there I'd need during the day and just plug it in to a PC where I'm at to get access to those files. More convenient than a flash drive because I wouldn't necessarily use the flash drive every day and could forget to bring it, forget to update it and so on.

Back to the media thing. There are many people that use their treo for media but on a really small scale. Why? The screen stinks. The programs are mediocre. You need an adapter to use regular headphones. There's just a lot of compromises that are greatly lessened on the Pre which would lead to greater use and a greater need for more memory. For under $15 you can get 8gb of storage on most phones that have a card slot. In time 16gb will be had for under $30. Many people charge their phones in their car or at the office. Quite a few will carry a spare battery. Those that do things they know will drain the battery quicker will do things to combat that. Keeping a spare battery around or tossing it on the charger when it's convenient requires very little effort to make sure you have enough juice to use the phone like you want to.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's amazing the minute someone says they need more than 8 gigs for their media, people assume we want to have our entire collections on the Pre when it's clearly not the case.

One thing Palm showcased was its multimedia capabilities. When I saw that, I wasn't thinking Zune 80gb replacement. I was thinking replacement for my Fuze and D2 for most functions outside of running or paddling. I also thought for work I could keep more technique videos and pdf's. I figured I'd do more Office document based stuff. Why? because the screen is a lot nicer as is the GUI. And I was assuming they'd have a card slot on it to give me enough room to do all that (obviously before it was shown it won't have one). Since I'm hardly home and don't always want to break out the laptop, it's all a matter of convenience. Also with the ability to use it as a mass storage drive, I can keep files on there I'd need during the day and just plug it in to a PC where I'm at to get access to those files. More convenient than a flash drive because I wouldn't necessarily use the flash drive every day and could forget to bring it, forget to update it and so on.
    And you can. 1.5 GB is the size of a Hollywood blockbuster sized for the iPhone (same screen resolution). That's 100 minutes or so right there. So even if you have a movie, and let's say another 500 MB for "technique videos", and another 1GB for PDFs, Office documents, and miscellaneous stuff...you'd still have 5GB free for music. With that 5GB, even if ALL of your music was 320 bitrate MP3s (and I doubt that it is, but let's be generous...), you could fit 2000 or more songs on the Pre.

Now, let's say you only felt like hearing 10 percent of the songs you put on a given day. That's 200 songs, and equivalent to roughly 14 hours or so. Even if you didn't take a single phone call or email or message during that 14 hours, the battery would die from that much straight media playing alone unless you charged it. Odds are at some point you would charge it near a computer or be back home for the night, at which point you could swap out files and playlists and do it again as you please. So even if you are a total spaz who chooses poorly from your own collection, you are still covered.

Back to the media thing. There are many people that use their treo for media but on a really small scale. Why? The screen stinks. The programs are mediocre. You need an adapter to use regular headphones. There's just a lot of compromises that are greatly lessened on the Pre which would lead to greater use and a greater need for more memory. For under $15 you can get 8gb of storage on most phones that have a card slot. In time 16gb will be had for under $30. Many people charge their phones in their car or at the office. Quite a few will carry a spare battery. Those that do things they know will drain the battery quicker will do things to combat that. Keeping a spare battery around or tossing it on the charger when it's convenient requires very little effort to make sure you have enough juice to use the phone like you want to.
    Oh, so now we're carrying cards and batteries and chargers...hey look! It's no longer an "all-in-one" device.

That's the point. You have to make a sacrifice somewhere. There's no phone on the market that can solve all of these problems, and present a truly all-in-one device that needs nothing else. Either you have to add memory, carry chargers, give up a keyboard, settle for a crappy OS....there's always a compromise.
    Please guys,

don't come and sling your mud over here in this thread.

Take it back over to the 'Obsession with more than 8gb' Thread.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Edit: Followed berdinkerdickle's suggestion
    Last edited by Gerorne; 02/03/2009 at 12:22 AM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast