View Poll Results: How will you use your [Pre]?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Half MP3 Player/Video Player. Half Everything else.

56 46.67%
  • I had a dedicated device for my multimedia needs. Just for the everything else.

7 5.83%
  • A minimal amount of multimedia. Mostly for everything else.

50 41.67%
  • I have no idea at this moment.

7 5.83%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I think both ways have their merits.

The advantage of Apple's way is that it is completely unobtrusive - it uses no screen when you're in another app. That's good as it maximizes screen real estate and doesn't provide any distraction.
    I guess I don't see how objectively having to leave one function to go to another is in any way, shape, or form "unobtrusive." I mean, you're in Safari or Google Maps or whatever...the iPod functionality is going to replace the screen in order for you to do this. WebOS essentially keeps both your current app AND the media player LIVE in the same screen with the focus on your current app, but with media player navigation functionality. And if you're switching back and forth between the two, no double-tapping is required. With Apple, you have to double-tap EVERY time you want to change the media playing in the background.
    Is there a video of that somewhere in the music app?
    No, but I would - key word - assume it's the same as the vertical scrolling for contacts or email. It's not like Cover Flow would help you navigate playlists or artists.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I guess I don't see how objectively having to leave one function to go to another is in any way, shape, or form "unobtrusive." I mean, you're in Safari or Google Maps or whatever...the iPod functionality is going to replace the screen in order for you to do this. WebOS essentially keeps both your current app AND the media player LIVE in the same screen with the focus on your current app, but with media player navigation functionality. And if you're switching back and forth between the two, no double-tapping is required. With Apple, you have to double-tap EVERY time you want to change the media playing in the background.
    I think I'll file that one in the 'wait and see' category. I'm not sure which I'd prefer until I've actually tried it on the Pre. If, for instance, I listen to some music in the morning and finish by hitting pause and then the music player bar sits there at the bottom of every app I use during the day I can see that as being pretty annoying. Alternatively, if the music player bar disappears when I hit pause, that would be pretty annoying too if I only wanted to pause the music for a short time. Palm may have a solution to this, but I'm struggling to see what it will be.
    No, but I would - key word - assume it's the same as the vertical scrolling for contacts or email. It's not like Cover Flow would help you navigate playlists or artists.
    Seems reasonable. As much as anything I was hoping for something more of the UI in general. Thus far I think all I've seen is someone tap the Music icon, hit play and then move to the next song. I'd like to see more!
    I currently use my 755 as my only mm device. No videos, but I could through tcpmp. I listen to mp3's through ptunes and with my BT headphones via audiogate. I listen to music like that at least 3 times a week, and only see myself doing it more with the pre. Native A2DP and tue multi-functioning would make things run a lot smoother. If I don't feel the need for another player now I highly doubt that I will with the pre.
  6.    #66  
    I want more than 16 GB but carry a 16 GB iPhone as my only iPod anyway. I'm happy enough at this point with the convenience/capacity trade-off but I certainly look forward to higher capacity devices in the future. Also, I agree with ADGrant, the iPod app on the iPhone is incredibly well done - I much prefer the interface to that on any other digital music player I've used (including iPods, Palm Treos, PPC/WM and S60 devices). Add in that the sound quality of the iPhone is really very good - better than the Nano it replaced and way better than any other phone I've tried - and the iPhone stacks up as a pretty compelling media device.

I guess what I'm saying is that even leaving aside the capacity issue, the Pre will have to be pretty exceptional at media playback to live up to the iPhone in that area. I found the music player UI we saw in the CES videos a bit worrying TBH.
    I have used the iTouch more than the iPhone and I love that interface. So since they are similar I agree with you.

As a music player I am not sure if it can live up to the iPhone in terms of sound quality. With that said if it does, I will be ecstatic.
    I think I'll file that one in the 'wait and see' category. I'm not sure which I'd prefer until I've actually tried it on the Pre. If, for instance, I listen to some music in the morning and finish by hitting pause and then the music player bar sits there at the bottom of every app I use during the day I can see that as being pretty annoying. Alternatively, if the music player bar disappears when I hit pause, that would be pretty annoying too if I only wanted to pause the music for a short time. Palm may have a solution to this, but I'm struggling to see what it will be.
    Check the Palm keynote video. It stays as long as you want, and you can horizontally swipe it to make it go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    As a music player I am not sure if it can live up to the iPhone in terms of sound quality. With that said if it does, I will be ecstatic.
    Me too!
    Check the Palm keynote video. It stays as long as you want, and you can horizontally swipe it to make it go away.
    Thanks. To get it back you have to go back to the app I guess. Fair compromise I think.

Should have said earlier, but a major plus for the iPhone double-tap-home-button thing is that it also works when the screen is off and locked - it turns on the screen, doesn't unlock it, but the iPod buttons are active. Useful, especially if you're using headphones without the iPhone-specific click controls. It would be good if the Pre had something like that. Actually, it would also be good if it supported a click controller on the headphones like the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Just spent a couple of weeks in Australia.

I'd forgotten how much I use my Treo to play music when I'm on the road.

Call roaming... expensive, data roaming... don't even use data.

But the music just keeps playing!

(and of course always a few ebooks on hand so I've got something to read)
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234